Why is a complex workout better than a simpler version? Help me understand. (Read 84 times)

Stevepf

This is admittedly not that important – just something I’m curious about as one who seeks to understand the “why” in training.

I think most would agree that simple is best, unless of course there is some advantage gained by introducing complexity.

This morning my workout was:

8 miles total including a portion at lactate threshold done “cruise interval” style:

12 minutes @ LT – 4 minutes jogging recovery

10 minutes @ LT – 4 minutes jogging recovery

8 minutes @ LT

I assume the author of the training plan – Pete Pfitzinger – thought this would be better than a simpler workout of 3 x 10 minutes @ LT with 4 minutes jogging recoveries. Yet both yield the same 30 minutes @ LT.

I could point to many examples from other training plans I’ve worked over the years. Take something simple like a classic 8 x 800 interval workout, but for some reason the 6,400 meters gets reconfigured into a “ladder” or “pyramid” with varying workbout durations and recoveries.

I fail to see why these more complex workouts are any better than their simpler versions that seemingly accomplish the same training objectives. Why?

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Since time run, pace, and recovery stay the same in your example I can only think of two possible explanations. First, after running 10 minutes at LT (and then again 10 minutes at LT) your legs will be progressively pre-fatigued even with the recovery, so splitting the LT sections 12/10/8 could spread the actual load on your system more evenly. That in turn makes it easier on your mind to complete the workout, because the harder sections become shorter. A workout focussing more on the mental aspect (because in a race you will suffer) could split the LT sections 8/10/12.

I think "ladders" and "pyramids" are different, because in most cases in those workouts you vary your pace in sync with the distance/duration of harder sections.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This is just a personal reaction from my personal experience.  Stepping down the time for a workout like that is more likely to result in being able to maintain the desired effort for the entire 30 minutes. There's often a tendency to slack off on the last cruise interval or run it too hard when they are all the same.

As far as ladders and pyramid workouts are concerned, some of that is to add variety and prevent boredom so you aren't running the same workout all the time.  They also often have a specific focus with varying the pace for the different distances in the workout.  One classic is to maintain a constant pace working up a pyramid, then increasing the pace working down, so you have to run faster as you build fatigue. Presumably this helps train you to finish strong at the end of a race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Steve—have you read any of the Pfitz books? I think they’ll usually explain the purpose of the workouts, although many of us just go straight to the training plan spreadsheet.

Dave

mikeymike

It's easier to maintain a consistent effort if you reduce the duration of each successive rep like this.

But I don't know that it makes much difference, so if you find 3x10 minutes simpler just do that. I suspect Pfitz would say the same.

Runners run

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I wonder whether some of it is to keep the runner mentally engaged by mixing things up.  Some people like that and get bored with repetition.  Others, like me, prefer the simplicity of Hansons where it's just X times Y distance.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

SMART Approach

I think it's wise to mix up the stimulus. There is nothing more boring than doing the same darn workout every week. I think total time within the right paces is what's key. There are ways to play with this current workout. Lactate threshold is generally 1 hour race pace. 4 min jog recoveries is fine but probably unnecessary IMO unless just starting to play around with these paces as a newer runner. You could advance this workout over time to 2 min recoveries - 1 min recoveries to no recoveries. OR reverse it to 8, 10, 12 but have a range of paces. Or 4 x 10 min. Let's say your threshold is 8:00 pace. You use a pace range of 8:15-7:50. Maybe running closer to 8:10 pace early and 7:55-8:00 in last interval (s). You are still in range but are finishing stronger with a longer interval. It tests resiliency a bit more and toughens you but you still are not reaching to a "hard" effort.  I really don't like weakening a workout as it goes along as it is not conducive to what may occur in a race. Workouts like races should have a crescendo effect IMO.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

juandowman

Interesting discussion! It seems to me that the complexity of a workout can be justified from the standpoint of psychological preparation. Variety in the training plan helps to combat monotony and maintain motivation. This is especially important for long training cycles.

polles

Because all body work then