I want to run again but now i'm a jogger walker (Read 165 times)

Running is all about the lower body. That came naturally to me as a prepubertal / barely pubertal wee lad and I was naturally zippy. I remember a girl remarking I had a lil feminine pep in my step. That didn't get me girls though (no shit). Then last spring I worked on the garbage truck with the big fat hairy men and they made fun of me and physically assaulted me and called me names and told me I was effeminate and I wouldn't get girls because girls liked guys who were more "guys" than me.

So this summer I continued to work on the garbage truck and lifted the heavy things and did the manual manly construction labor. I got bigger in the upper body. I also busted my knees by jumping out of the garbage truck. Then I got tired and lazy and bipolar and laid around and ate food and jerked off. The bonus is that I finally caught up in some ways to the other guys who had been shaving since way younger than me and had hairy armpits. As a really skinny kid for the longest time I had some sort of hormone deficiency. It took me until my late 20s to even be able to shave regularly or have an even relatively normal amount of body hair.

The sad thing is that I lost my ability to run. Now I jog. I used to run 8-13 miles now I have a hard time jogging 4 and I end up walking. I'm not even overweight. I'm like 5'7" 134. I guess I'm just out of shape. My lifetime mileage total is 3,169 and I had dreams of doubling that but It will probably take me an insane amount of training just to even get back to where I used to be. The moral of the story? Don't stop running out of some sort of fragile masculine insecurity. I wish I hadn't.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Don't try to run the paces you used to run. Start with where you are now, running at a pace you could comfortably hold a conversation at. Don't pay attention to the pace number. Pay attention to how you feel. If you are out of shape, try starting again with Couch to 5k or One Hour Runner and work your way up. Runners run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

mikeymike

Runners run

Facts.

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. It's corny and sounds like it belongs on one of those "live laugh love" kitchen signs but it's true. If you stop running, even for a long time, you can start again. Most of us #onhere have done it many times over.

Runners run

Facts.

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. It's corny and sounds like it belongs on one of those "live laugh love" kitchen signs but it's true. If you stop running, even for a long time, you can start again. Most of us #onhere have done it many times over.

Thanks for the support guys. I'll start again slow and steady. It'll be nice cuz the weathers cooling down now and will help take my mind off my shitty dollar store job, and a healthier way to do it than smoking pot.

With the added bonus I might actually still look good / be in shape when and if I go back to college next spring as a new man. Then again I mignt not do that either lol. I'm 29, I just look 21 that's all. This is related to being single and aimless in life.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Maybe check out if there is a parkrun where you are. It's a free, timed 5k run every Saturday at 9am. You register once and your barcode is good at all parkruns. It's a good way to make an appointment with yourself to do that regular run. There are both walkers and runners as well as a designated tailwalker whose job it is to be the last finisher.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Maybe check out if there is a parkrun where you are. It's a free, timed 5k run every Saturday at 9am. You register once and your barcode is good at all parkruns. It's a good way to make an appointment with yourself to do that regular run. There are both walkers and runners as well as a designated tailwalker whose job it is to be the last finisher.

Thanks for the encouragement, maybe I'll check it out. Well I just got through 4 miles without stopping (this particularly route is steep uphill on the way back) and from my recollection that's about the threshold I seem to hit when I'm in my worst shape I've allowed myself to get in yet. As you age obviously consistency without injury becomes all the more important. I miss the feeling of gliding along effortlessly without breathing so hard. Maybe I can get it back.

If I wanna be ridiculously ambitious, I'd love to break 6,000 miles sometime next year. I'm turning 30, I have to do something worth doing with my bod. 2,827 to go lol. All i'd have to do is....built a solid low mileage base back and then be able to taper off averaging 8 miles a day for almost a year. Without getting hurt ofc.

paddyr

There's no doubt you can get back to previous levels, but it will take time, and it won't be easy. Facing the same challenge myself.

Found a good blog on getting through those times when your times doesn't really improve. What time are you aiming to get back to?

Training Plateaus - Why They Happen and How To… | Run Republic

https://runrepublic.com/news/training-plateaus-why-they-happen-and-how-to-overcome-them

There's no doubt you can get back to previous levels, but it will take time, and it won't be easy. Facing the same challenge myself.

Found a good blog on getting through those times when your times doesn't really improve. What time are you aiming to get back to?

Training Plateaus - Why They Happen and How To… | Run Republic

https://runrepublic.com/news/training-plateaus-why-they-happen-and-how-to-overcome-them

thank you!!! 👍