2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 211 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Andy - That's awesome.  Also a lot of racing back to back which makes it hard at any age.

mmerkle - It definitely counts but I'd be wrapping myself in cotton wool from now on.

darkwave - wise adjustment I think.  Is there a reason, like weather, that so few people turned up?

Dave - I'd be careful about pushing too hard, maybe add in a rest day this week?  Even jogging a marathon will take a toll.

Flavio - That sounds like a potentially very tough race, so low or no expectations is the way to go.

Mark - Very nice week, exciting to see how you go on one of your old hunting grounds.

My week - Pretty solid with 2 workouts.  I couldn't even hit 10km pace on my 1 mile repeats and the Saturday tempo was also a struggle to get my legs moving, albeit on a windy trail with some short sharp hills.  On Sunday I did my easy run on the Milford trail while my partner and friends went for a boat cruise - I'm banned after my severe seasickness a few years ago.  The part of the track I ran is pretty flat but very windy with lots of rocky sections, and logs/trees to climb over so despite the slow pace, it felt like a pretty decent workout.  I had to be concentrating hard the whole time, I almost took a fall about 5 times and I had bad visions about being stuck in there with a broken leg...all up the week was okay but everything still feels hard.  I can't imagine running very fast in a half in 3 weeks but you never know.  After about 4 weeks when I got Covid the first time everything suddenly came right and I nailed a PB at Southern Lakes.  I know a PB isn't possible in 3 weeks but a nice sub 1:30 would be good.

My New York dream is over for now - I see you can guarantee 2025 entry by doing the 2024 virtual but my research suggests that will be just as hard to get into with very limited spots.

Weekly for period: From: 25/03/2024 To 31/03/2024

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
    Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in m
    25/03 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:07 09:10 05:40 0
    25/03 Easy hour 7.48 12.04 01:02:31 08:21 05:12 25
    26/03 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:11 09:22 05:47 1
    26/03 4 x 15 seconds strides 4.57 7.35 00:37:42 08:15 05:08 19
    27/03 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:08 09:13 05:42 0
    27/03 5 mins AeT into 4 x 1 mile LT 10.48 16.86 01:20:04 07:38 04:45 23
    28/03 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:16 09:36 05:56 38
    28/03 Easy hour 7.51 12.08 01:04:26 08:35 05:20 26
    29/03 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:30 10:18 06:29 0
    29/03 Queenstown Easter Cruise 6.50 10.46 00:54:50 08:26 05:15 29
    30/03 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:12 09:25 05:49 5
    30/03 Lake Hayes Trail incl. 1 lap AeT 9.86 15.86 01:18:34 07:58 04:57 201
    31/03 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:32 10:24 06:25 4
    31/03 Milford Track 8.92 14.35 01:33:52 10:31 06:32 181

Totals: Time: 08:14:55 - 🦅Imperial: 57.70 mi - Metric: 92.83 km

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

DavePNW

Steve - it'll be interesting to see what NYCM qualifying is like next year without the half option.

MTA: oh and “rest day”—lol, good one.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Dave - I suppose not being able to hold that pace a few days after running a marathon is to be expected?
        Hopefully the funk clears out before the 10k race.

Darkwave - Sorry but that's hilarious 🤣 just 10 people, it's like that 38 minute dude created it so he can have a picture at the top of the podium to show his mom.

MMerkle - Yeah, speed comes fast after a few weeks of faster workouts.
        Interestingly I'm physically stronger now than 5 years ago when I ran my 1500m PR, but I'm also 5 years older. And the 800m requires even more speed.
        This should be fun.You're a very brave man for playing Basketball so close to the race. Jamahal Hill famously tore his achilles tendon playing the same game and had to relinquish the UFC light heavyweight title cause he couldn't defend it in time.

RP - As someone who's had lower back pain since 20 years old, I never got to make fun of older people for that LOL

Steve - LOL at the idea of limited spots for a virtual run. Their marketing is strong, Apple should take notes.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Steve - it'll be interesting to see what NYCM qualifying is like next year without the half option.

I'd expect a lot more folks don't reapply because with a 96% rejection rate there are too many other options unless your passion is to buy the medal for running 6 marathons. No transparency about how THEY picked folks, private research showing Berlin level qualification requirements to get in, and a $315 bill just to buy some bananas might actually be excessive after all.

I mean, it's no EUGENE or ROUTE 66 marathon. I might rather run Marine Corps Marathon and spend some time looking around DC than hanging out inside a statue in Jersey. It was already hard enough to get a qualifier for TCS. To do it again knowing a qualifier doesn't get me entry...I might just sign up for the $180 virtual option so I can sign up for the $315+ in person option for 2025.  All I wanted was the jacket since it actually looks like it is a REAL running jacket not a $120 recycled plastic bottle with the Bank of America logo on it.

I wanted one of those until I could have it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

Ok am not old or slow. I feel like it right now. I am recovering well. Almost back to normal. I did 30 miles last week. Long run was 10 miles at 8:30 pace.

My next race is a backyard ultra in 4 weeks. Then a mountain 100 in Aug. No road marathons planed, unless its a training run.

Old slow guy?????

tios would be a day of speed workouts (200m-1,200m) with recovery equal to 50-100% of the hard run period. 
            second workout would be tempo. 

pretty much what you do on hills, but now on the roads. Are you doing a road marathon any time soon?

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

DavePNW

Hey, instead of the recommended rest day, I decided to follow two days of excruciatingly slow slogs with a track workout. I did 4x1200m and it actually went surprisingly well. Maybe some hope for my 10k.

I'd expect a lot more folks don't reapply because with a 96% rejection rate there are too many other options unless your passion is to buy the medal for running 6 marathons. No transparency about how THEY picked folks, private research showing Berlin level qualification requirements to get in, and a $315 bill just to buy some bananas might actually be excessive after all.

I mean, it's no EUGENE or ROUTE 66 marathon. I might rather run Marine Corps Marathon and spend some time looking around DC than hanging out inside a statue in Jersey. It was already hard enough to get a qualifier for TCS. To do it again knowing a qualifier doesn't get me entry...I might just sign up for the $180 virtual option so I can sign up for the $315+ in person option for 2025.  All I wanted was the jacket since it actually looks like it is a REAL running jacket not a $120 recycled plastic bottle with the Bank of America logo on it.

NYCM will never be hurting for applications. It's still one of the 6 majors, for the relatively small (but seemingly growing) percentage of people who are doing that. But even more so it's still New York - for the poor, huddled masses of bucket listers and 5-6 hr marathoners who want to run a marquee race and will never get into Boston.

I hadn't really planned to get the NYCM jacket - hard to justify for whatever it costs since I don't really need another jacket. I have the Boston one plus a couple other running-type jackets but I never actually run in a jacket. I'd think the Boston one still has more prestige, because you can't legitimately get one without time-qualifying (OK also charity), even though it is indeed shit quality.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - That sounds like a potentially very tough race, so low or no expectations is the way to go.

I'm doing this funny mental game. My initial thought had been "hell yeah top 20 or bust"! Then I realized the course is super hard and remembered I ate a pile of shit last year having to DNF the other trail race I tried. So I downgraded to a humble top 50.

But now I realize I'm not tapering and I'd prefer to not lose too much training next week, so I'm downgrading my objective to "Finish the damn race". There's still an 80% chance that I'll positive split it LOL

Dave - Either that or you just spent your racing chips with that workout 😂

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

DavePNW

Dave - Either that or you just spent your racing chips with that workout 😂

Thanks, Debbie Downer! 

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This is a great rant.  They really have created quite an exclusive event although a race in New York targeted mainly at New Yorkers is fair enough I guess.  They wouldn't want it to turn into an event where 90% of the runners come from somewhere else.  I also had to work very hard to get a time qualifier but I knew going in it wasn't a guarantee.  I just didn't realise how it really improved my chances from 0% to about 1%.  The marathon time qualifiers are currently out of reach for me, especially when you take off another 10 minutes during the application process.

Dave - I know you may be joking, but is a rest day never in your plans?  It might make you faster...

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is a great rant.  They really have created quite an exclusive event although a race in New York targeted mainly at New Yorkers is fair enough I guess.  They wouldn't want it to turn into an event where 90% of the runners come from somewhere else.  I also had to work very hard to get a time qualifier but I knew going in it wasn't a guarantee.  I just didn't realise how it really improved my chances from 0% to about 1%.  The marathon time qualifiers are currently out of reach for me, especially when you take off another 10 minutes during the application process.

Dave - I know you may be joking, but is a rest day never in your plans?  It might make you faster...

They were out of reach for me up until they weren't. It is what made it so special and why I can be such an INSPIRATION about marathons.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey, instead of the recommended rest day, I decided to follow two days of excruciatingly slow slogs with a track workout. I did 4x1200m and it actually went surprisingly well. Maybe some hope for my 10k.

NYCM will never be hurting for applications. It's still one of the 6 majors, for the relatively small (but seemingly growing) percentage of people who are doing that. But even more so it's still New York - for the poor, huddled masses of bucket listers and 5-6 hr marathoners who want to run a marquee race and will never get into Boston.

I hadn't really planned to get the NYCM jacket - hard to justify for whatever it costs since I don't really need another jacket. I have the Boston one plus a couple other running-type jackets but I never actually run in a jacket. I'd think the Boston one still has more prestige, because you can't legitimately get one without time-qualifying (OK also charity), even though it is indeed shit quality.

Dude...the reviews of this years are BAAAAAAAD. Like.....at this point Boston might as well give them to all participants to toss somewhere along the course.

I have one running jacket, one jacket I use for running if it's REALLY raining, and one winter top. I just coveted the jackets as a sign of being extra cool until I could buy one, and I would have if it was a good running jacket instead of a good waste of money.

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

On NYCM exclusivity - it's still not the toughest major to get into (as a non-resident), I think the consensus is that's London.

On Boston jackets - at least I got mine while they were still doing embroidered logos, that's now gone away so it looks even cheaper. But mine functions adequately as a jacket, in terms of covering my arms and torso. I mostly just wear it to running group meetups and races, just to demonstrate how cool I am.

On rest days - honestly I never plan them; when all is well, I run 7 days. A 5-6 mile easy run feels like a rest/recovery day. I started doing that several years ago, and didn't find it made me any more or less injury-prone. It certainly makes it easier to get to higher weekly mileage levels. I end up building up streaks, but I don't care about the streak itself - I'll never just go run 1 mile to maintain it. I will of course take days off if injured, and there have been times where I just had a crazy travel schedule and couldn't fit one in. And I always take at least a few days off after a marathon (when raced). My longest streak was 250 days, in 2020 when there were no marathons. That streak was only broken because of smoky air. 

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Thanks, Debbie Downer! 

Sorry Dav, here have a meme instead:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I posted a link to a super interesting video here ->

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/715801c000a04900bf7a507718030afc#focus

I believe it would be very useful to somebody like Jmac who's battling a nasty plantar fasciitis case, and to DKTrotter who's wearing inserts for many years now to avoid just that.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Nice week.

Flavio - I would have been well within my rights to have gotten mad with dev for ruining an otherwise flawless demo.
                                Solid week, too, keep up the good work. Have you won the war on weights yet?

DWave - A race that small would be a rarity here, it's hard to imagine that in your AO. It seems that you made good use of the event, though.

Merkle - Have the taper crazies taken effect yet?

Krash - Your race plans continue to make me a bit queasy.

My week started pretty great, but took a sudden downturn. I started feeling just a tad off Friday, a bit more fatigued Saturday morning (stayed up a bit late after travelling to my parents' place) so decided to do my LR Sunday, but felt even more tired that morning. Fever by the afternoon, and I've only done really short, easy, slow runs with too-high HR since. I'm definitely on the upswing, but not 100% yet. I have discovered through all this that sleeping in until 6:30 or so is REALLY nice.

Weekly for period: From: 03/25/2024 To 03/31/2024

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                03/25 6 turkeys & 1 rabbit 8.00 12.87 01:12:37 09:05 05:39 338
                                03/25 Doublin' shufflin' 4.10 6.60 00:36:52 09:00 05:35 266
                                03/26 Set the wrong alarm for this morning. Oops 10.00 16.10 01:22:20 08:14 05:07 456
                                03/26 What is this, a picnic? 5.00 8.04 00:42:41 08:32 05:19 302
                                03/27 Down the ladder 13.60 21.88 01:42:42 07:33 04:42 315
                                03/27 Bringing the actually waterproof jacket in the rain this time 3.70 5.96 00:32:48 08:52 05:30 108
                                03/28 1 owl 8.00 12.88 01:13:41 09:13 05:43 272
                                03/29 If this wind would kindly return to the fiery pits of Texas from whence it came I would be much obliged 11.00 17.70 01:35:11 08:39 05:23 650
                                03/29 The wind is still here 4.00 6.44 00:35:23 08:51 05:30 246
                                03/30 2 turkeys 5.00 8.05 00:45:05 09:01 05:36 328
                                03/31 Fog like pea soup 2.00 3.22 00:17:30 08:45 05:26 69

Totals: Time: 10:36:50 - 🦅Imperial: 74.41 mi - Metric: 119.73 km

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4