2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 211 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Anyone else read Kara Goucher's book?  I just finished it and... wow.  Some of the stuff that went on at Oregon Project under Salazar was pretty horrendous.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Anyone else read Kara Goucher's book?  I just finished it and... wow.  Some of the stuff that went on at Oregon Project under Salazar was pretty horrendous.

No but all you had to say was "Salazar." I don't follow that stuff too closely and I don't generally read read running-related books, but I've heard enough that I don't think anything in there would surprise me too much.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I listened to her interview on Running Rogue promoting the book.  Horrendous behaviour.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

No but all you had to say was "Salazar." I don't follow that stuff too closely and I don't generally read read running-related books, but I've heard enough that I don't think anything in there would surprise me too much.

I mean, I knew it was really bad, but actually it was worse than that.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

So... here's that article I said I wrote. https://www.fleetfeet.com/blog/by-women-for-everyone-5-must-read-running-books.

The Longest Race was one of the books I read and wrote about.

I will say that the kind of writing I do for Fleet Feet is not my favorite style of writing (it's more commercial journalism), and I'm not always that good at it (there's a lot of stuff that got left on the cutting board that I think provides context and depth, but oh well).

Also, Flavio, I saw your post and haven't had time to watch the video yet, but I will!

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: April 28, Glass City Marathon, 3:29:53. Saw deer; cried; didn't melt in rain or heat. 

Marky_Mark_17

So... here's that article I said I wrote. https://www.fleetfeet.com/blog/by-women-for-everyone-5-must-read-running-books.

The Longest Race was one of the books I read and wrote about.

I will say that the kind of writing I do for Fleet Feet is not my favorite style of writing (it's more commercial journalism), and I'm not always that good at it (there's a lot of stuff that got left on the cutting board that I think provides context and depth, but oh well).

Also, Flavio, I saw your post and haven't had time to watch the video yet, but I will!

Heh, when I read this my reaction was that it was very sharp and concise (which I generally like) but maybe a little too much so perhaps your criticism was justified!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - I would have been well within my rights to have gotten mad with dev for ruining an otherwise flawless demo.
                  Solid week, too, keep up the good work. Have you won the war on weights yet?

I remember that time Bill Gates was presenting the new Windows version and it crashed to a blue screen of death during the presentation LOL

Re: the weights, I have reached what is considered novice level, and also considered by authors the minimum strength you need as a runner, which is a 1.25x your bodyweight in the squat and a 1.5x your body weight in the dead lift. I doubt I'll progress much from here, but I'll keep trying to at least maintain this level. I'm especially bad at pull ups, 3x7 is my recent max.

Sorry to hear about the sickness, I guess old age is catching up to you, I remember a time where I joked about you never getting sick.

DK - When I opened that video and saw that it was 2h36 I was discouraged immediately. But the contents was so good, I kept watching it in blocks of 15 to 30 minutes at a time until I finished. It's got no filler moments, it's pure content from start to finish, and you can also just listen to it while doing some manual activity.

The most important bit for you is the part where she argues that orthotics for feet should be worn between 2 weeks and a year tops, always the minimum amount necessary and always with an exit plan (which involves strengthening the feet). She equates orthotics to crutches in a way.

me - annoyingly I tripped and fell yesterday. It's amazing how little time we have to react.

While I'm disappointed at my "navigation system" for tripping on something like where I tripped, a place where I passed hundreds of times before, I'm also very grateful at my "fall protection system" for taking good care of me during the fall.

Apart from some annoying bruises which are now stinging a bit and didn't let me sleep, everything else seems to be alright.

Much better than a face plant for sure.

I then proceeded to say "fuck this shit" and walked back home.

Today I insisted on wearing the exact same shoe and do the exact same route, so the first 10 minutes of my run were 20% slower as, and I was super stiff while trying to consciously control where I placed my foot, until I started flowing again.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

also DK - Kudos on the publication of your article. I believe that website must have some sort of SEO / google trackers data that leads them to some "ideal length for an article" and that's probably why yours got heavily edited.

English is not my native language, but it seems to me that you write exceptionally well in English considering it's like your third language?

This is all very interesting, seeing as I haven't studied English formally.

But when I read what you all write I can see nuances and differences in how you write, along with preferences for a more formal (best examples would be Mark and Darkwave) or informal language (I guess Mikkey, RP and Piwi are examples of that)

I often wonder how much the way one writes differs from the way one speaks and if regional accent differences show up in written text.

Do note my ear is not well trained enough in English to detect regional differences in accent, in the US I can mostly detect Eastern, Western and Southern accents. I also rarely can detect when it's a foreign actor faking a US accent.

That's different from Portuguese where I can place where someone is from with a high level of precision if they live in the South of Brazil.

Languages are a fascinating subject.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

mmerkle

Merkle - Have the taper crazies taken effect yet?

Everything was fine until yesterday morning when my stomach went a bit sour for some reason. I about completely unravelled lol. The rest of the day I became hyper focused on how everything felt.

Flavio I would say I'm more stupid than brave lol.

RP The IT band has been behaving. I'm still consistent with the abductor strengthening and stretching.

dktrotter/Mark That book by Kara Goucher sounds like a frightening read. I remember hearing what Mary Cain went through.

dktrotter

Dorothea

dktrotter/Mark That book by Kara Goucher sounds like a frightening read. I remember hearing what Mary Cain went through.

Yeah, it's really disturbing--to the point where I sometimes had to stop reading. What is not stated in my blurb or anyone's response so far is that Salazar sexually assaults Goucher. Twice. And the "subtle" crossings of boundaries are actually not so subtle, Goucher just pushes them away as such to probably protect some sense of self.

Flavio, so you think I could mostly just listen to the video? That's more manageable! Also, my language heritage is complicated. I heard Russian exclusively for the first two years of my life, and then went straight to a bilingual upbringing with German and English (no accent in either, and a German accent when I speak Russian now). Since I grew up primarily in the US and was educated through my MA here, English could be considered my first language, but it's technically not. It's cases like mine that make linguists talk about as-a-foreign-language versus as-a-second-language. And I agree: languages are fascinating! I have to say-- from your written English, it would be hard for me to detect some discomfort! But do you have an accent when you speak? :-)

Last race: April 28, Glass City Marathon, 3:29:53. Saw deer; cried; didn't melt in rain or heat. 

dktrotter

Dorothea

But of course, all the doping stuff is really upsetting, too. I actually read Linden's book before Goucher's, and I didn't understand why Linden was so resistant to her diagnosis until I read about the stuff the Oregon project enabled.

Since no one asked, my favorite book was a tie between Désir's and Fleshman's, and I actually got to meet Fleshman before Philly, which was doubly awesome because I was meeting an author and a runner :-)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm familiar with all the runners except  Désir, but haven't read any of the books. I'm due for a library run, so I'll see if any are on the shelf.  I followed Semenya's story very closely. I'm least familiar with Fleshman, though I remember her near misses in the Trials.

I coached high school girls for several years back in the late '70s and early '80s.  It was frustrating to not be able to find any info on how training might be different.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

from your written English, it would be hard for me to detect some discomfort! 

No discomfort reading nor understanding English (Unless it's spoken by the Welsh or the Scotts, but honestly, do they even speak English?). I'm just not as good at placing regional accents 😎

Thanks for the details about the languages you speak. That's quite interesting!

But do you have an accent when you speak? :-)

Don't we all 😁

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Because I can't stop writing here, another tidbit: I remember a while back someone here commented about the Let's run forums to talk about running. I was puzzled at the time cause their main forum is a cesspool generally speaking.

Cue my surprise when I spotted that drop down to choose the different forums a few weeks ago, and I found a training advice forum in there that is super interesting and helpful.