2024 The Waltons: Racing & Training Thread (Read 145 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - so annoying! Especially in race week even if Waterfront is a bigger target. The races really are the fun part, for me anyway. My partner isn’t sick somehow so maybe it can be avoided. I haven’t actually done a Covid test but I have to visit some older people today so I will do one so they have perfect info. Although if I was them I would say no to a visit either way.

Edit:  I did the test and have the Covid again, which explains why it feels different to what I had 2 weeks ago.  It's not as bad as the first time round so far.

I do see the irony after the booster discussion...but I'd rather this than Shingles at this point, and I doubt the booster would have stopped it.

Doh! At least it's now, not in 6 weeks.

I've never tested positive for Covid on a RAT test but I'm convinced I've had it twice - once in Dec 2022, and again in Dec last year.  Both times it was doing the rounds at work.  The second time felt like the first time, but not nearly as bad.  Both times, no one else in the house got sick.

So far, the 6 year old and I seem to have dodged it. The baby started getting crook on Saturday and my wife started getting crook on Sunday so we'll know soon enough one way or another lol. It's entirely possible that it was me or Miss 6 that brought it home in the first place without realising it. The 6 year old has never tested positive either but there's literally no way that she could have not had it after two years of primary school.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Half Crazy K 2.0

My week went ok. Did skip a run on Saturday since it was raining, but it would have been a really short & easy one.

Monday rest day, short walk + core

Tuesday am 6.8 with 5x3min + 3x2 min 5k effort pm strength training

Wednesday 3.8 easy

Thursday rest

Friday am 6.9 with 7x 5 min HM effort pm strength

Saturday 25 minute spin bike + sore

Sunday 10.3

Watson, nice week. I find it really depends on the sickness. I didn't have the energy to even try when I had covid a few weeks ago. If it's a garden variety cold or allergies, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Mark, good to know that the weather is just as back and forth on the other side of the earth. We're doing the game or winter or spring. Sometimes it feels like both in the same day. I hope you can dodge covid in your house.

JamesD, I've been masking at work for the most part. We go back and forth with it being mandatory for staff. It's a K-8 school, lots of germs in that environment.

Steve, hopefully your symptoms aren't too bad. Mr. HCK got hit a lot worse than I did. The fatigue was the most annoying part and was not in line with the mild symptoms. On the vaccine part, I'm fairly certain I got it about a month after the 2021 booster (the hives one) and my experience this go round wass basically the same.

mmerkle, I would think doing long runs on the NCR on a regular basis would help you if you decide to do that race again. Any change in drinking water or coffee beforre runs? Or have you gotten conditioned? For my first HM, I did a lot of long runs near Honeygo regional park and would stop in the rec center for water and a pee break. I swear now any time I run by there, I need to go.

Fred, good news, you have no race times to add for me. So much for that New Year's resolution to race more.

Marky_Mark_17

Update: tested Miss 6 and I when we got home. She was positive, but it was very weak. My hope is that she is getting over it already given she's had a bit of nasal congestion and was complaining about feeling a bit 'blah' since late last week.  I was negative.  Hope it stays that way!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

HCK - very solid week with some nice workouts.

Mark - worrying times. My symptoms lined up with the test which was an immediate and very strong positive.

I have to admit, I’m already thinking about whether I’ll recover in time. Last time it was 4 weeks until I felt good running again. Southern Lakes was soon after but a full is a bit different. There’s always Selwyn Marathon I guess.

Should probably not think like that - things can turnaround fast.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Belated check in with a race report and my last two weeks:

Week 1 - 68 miles and one hour of pool-running

M: 10 miles very easy (9:12) and strides, followed by upperbody weights/core.

T: 11 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200, 2x400 in 5:23, 5:15, 5:14, 5:11, 1:40, and 1:40. Recoveries after the 1200s were mostly 2:5x (one outlier at 3:32). 77 seconds between the 400s. Followed with leg strengthwork. 
            W: Streaming yoga and 11 miles very easy (9:25) plus strides.

Th: 8 miles very easy on trails (10:02); streaming pilates in evening.

F: 10 miles, including an 8K track tempo in 35:48 (7:20/7:16/7:10/7:05/6:57), plus 2x200m in 51 and 50.

Sa: 18 miles, mostly easy (9:06) but with a fartlek of 10x2 minutes at marathon effort/5 minutes easy in the second hour. Followed with leg strengthwork.

Su: 1 hour pool-running and streaming yoga.

Week 2 -  53 miles of running

M: 8 miles very easy (9:20) and strides, followed by upperbody weights/core.

T: 9.5 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800, 400 in 7:05, 3:26, 3:23, 3:18, 3:16, and 96.  5:14 recovery after the 1600 and recoveries of 2:4x-3:2x after the 800s.  Sports massage in evening.
            W: Upperbody weights/core and 7.5 miles very easy (9:24) plus strides.  

Th: 5 miles very easy on trails (10:27); streaming pilates in evening.

F: 7 miles, including an uptempo 1600 (7:10) plus 2x200m in 51 and 51.  

Sa: Off except for DIY yoga.

Su:  3 mile warm-up and then a half-marathon in 1:34:11.   

Race report: Well, I'm TRYING to run...: Race Report: One City Half-Marathon, March 3, 2024 (wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

watsonc123

Mark - good luck with avoiding Covid.  My understanding is that the most infectious period is very early on, so if you haven't caught it yet, you will hopefully be fine.  Alternatively you may have already micro dosed and been asymptomatic.  Either way, good luck.

Darkwave - I saw your race on Strava.  You did really well.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark - hope you don't get it and that the family is well!

Dark- great report. Great execution. You are very far from the finish is great.

I also like: Stop reading, start running or Keep going, everyone is starring at you - btw the Kenians are already done

If Trump can run, so can you

Have been a bit busy with life and haven't done a whole lot, but am looking at fall marathons now. So will start training soon! Time flies...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Woke up with a headache and feeling blah. HR was a little high when running but not remarkably so. Oh what a fun week this is turning out to be. At this point there's every chance it's just my head messing with me.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Woke up with a headache and feeling blah. HR was a little high when running but not remarkably so. Oh what a fun week this is turning out to be. At this point there's every chance it's just my head messing with me.

Gutting.  I find my head messes with me more with the random aches and pains than oncoming illness.  Just hang in there and hope it doesn't get too bad I guess.  In some ways this round has been easy for me because running is simply not an option with how I feel.  It's trickier when it's 50-50.

My HRV is back up to normal, although my rolling average is still "Low" but a good sign I'm improving.  If I could get the razor blades out of my throat I'd feel almost normal...I've taken the whole week off and had plenty of rest, surprisingly sensible.  I took tomorrow off to go to the cricket but I'll only go if I feel better, and no beers.  Which could make it tricky watching this injury hit Black Caps side.  The glory days of 2021 feel like a long time ago...

2024 Races:

Half Crazy K 2.0

Oddly,  I only had 2 days during my recent bout of covid where my resting heart rate was elevated slightly more than normal.  It went back to normal quickly,  which really messed with my mind since I felt blah and tested positive for over 10 days. The assumed covid at Christmas 2021, my resting heart rate stayed higher than normal for close to a month.

Mark and Steve, hope you have quick recoveries.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Oddly,  I only had 2 days during my recent bout of covid where my resting heart rate was elevated slightly more than normal.  It went back to normal quickly,  which really messed with my mind since I felt blah and tested positive for over 10 days. The assumed covid at Christmas 2021, my resting heart rate stayed higher than normal for close to a month.

Mark and Steve, hope you have quick recoveries.

Thanks HCK - my resting HR is only 7bpm high now but having it elevated for a month is what I'm worried about.  Not much I can do though, except recover properly then build back up.  I'm happy I have a plan B now though.

2024 Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mark and Steve - I really hope both of you kick these bugs soon.  There's never a good time to get sick, but right before a race is obviously one of the most frustrating times to get sick.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Well I’ve definitely got something but apparently it’s not Covid. Just hoping I can kick it in the next day or two.

A DNS would tank my series hopes so I’m seriously considering running it regardless. Starting to wonder if this race is cursed. Last time I ran it was 5 years ago, had some stomach thing going on at the time and then got some weird virus shortly after that really threw things for a couple weeks.

Steve - ugh I hate the sore throat. At least once that’s going away you know things are generally starting to improve.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Mark - I hope you recover sufficiently in time for your race, or at least enough that you can race without prolonging your illness.

Steve - You too.  Get well.  (And I agree with Mark that the sore throat is the worst part.)

Mick - Which marathons are on your short list for the near future?

Darkwave - Is "streaming yoga" a class you watch online, or is it a specific type of yoga (or pilates)?

Kathi - Nice mix of running last week.  Do you have any race plans for the next few months?  Maybe a local 5k or something?

mmerkle - That's a lot of miles for a recovery week.  There are several potential causes for more frequent stops, not all of them bad.

James - I've heard different descriptions of pool running.  Do you "run" in the pool with your feet on the bottom, propelling yourself forward, or are you floating in the water moving your legs in a running motion?  Just curious.  (Same question, I suppose, for others here who pool run.)

Watson - Glad to hear you had a good week.

I've been trying to keep up with the posts.  Sorry for my sporadic presence here.  I'll see about adding race times over the next couple weeks.

Upcoming Races

03/10 Frederick - E. Murray Todd Half Marathon

03/10 MarkyMark - Maraetai Half Marathon

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

A very mixed week for me.  I didn't get out at all on Monday.  On Thursday I planned to run 8 with 5 at HM pace, but only got 2 HM miles done before my brain just quit on me and I almost walked home (fortunately, I did manage to keep myself running slowly).  On Friday I headed out for 6 and didn't quite get 4.  That set the stage for Saturday.  I went to ParkRun hoping the environment (a timer, other runners, etc.) would shake me out of whatever funk I was in - and it worked!  I put up my 4th fastest ParkRun out of 15 attempts while rarely looking at my watch and running hard but not all out.  After that, I managed Sunday's easy 8 quite well and so far this week have been running better too.  Hopefully the renewed mindset lasts until Sunday's half.  27.5 miles / 44.2km last week.

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
                                2/27/2024   Easy/Hill 6.5 mi 1:07:40 10:26 50
                                2/29/2024  2 miles @ HM  Pace 4.8 mi    47:12   9:47 35
                                3/1/2024   Easy 3.9 mi    41:11 10:41 42
                                3/2/2024  Warmup Easy 1.2 mi    12:26 10:44 43
                                3/2/2024

D&R ParkRun

Race 5.0 km    25:50   8:19 43
                                3/3/2024   Easy 8.0 mi 1:20:42 10:04 57
                                5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19