Shoes (Read 831 times)

This may be a common question on here, but let me ask anyway. About how many miles should one pair of shoes last you? Discuss. Big grin
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We need a search feature... Wink 300.
      Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

I am faced with a dilemma at present ... do the shoes die due to mileage or due to smell (I've been running through some very dubious stuff recently). Smile Depends ... 400-500 miles (but I'm a pretty light guy). In this case the smell might win. Maybe we need a new data-field for shoes .... "Smell Factor" ... and this is a suggestion from my wife. Confused

Running ... just keep running!

JakeKnight

We definitely need a search function. Customer service here sucks. It's like the whole staff just went to Disneyworld or something. Here's one of the more recent threads on the second or third most popular topic. And Trent's a wuss - 500 miles or bust, baby. http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/13da5d4b962249c5a7678839f404b23c

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

We definitely need a search function. Customer service here sucks. It's like the whole staff just went to Disneyworld or something. Here's one of the more recent threads on the second or third most popular topic. And Trent's a wuss - 500 miles or bust, baby. http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/13da5d4b962249c5a7678839f404b23c
            I notice you didn't include a link to your thread about your toe......just sayin'.
            JakeKnight

I notice you didn't include a link to your thread about your toe......just sayin'.
              Hell, that was 250 miles ago on that pair of shoes. They're just getting broken in. All right, to be serious: after running on nothing but brand new shoes for the last 130 miles, I pulled my favorite old Asics (around 630 miles on them now) out of the closet and did 7 miles. And wow - they felt like racing flats. Like they were made of paper and weighed nothing at all. But you know what ... they still felt good, and I felt good at the end. The real answer to the original poster's question - like most answers around here - is .... your mileage will vary. For me, at least with the models I've worn so far and terrain I've been on ... if I'm shoe-shopping after less than 500 miles, it's because I feel like shopping for shoes, not because I need to. For somebody else, who knows? Experiment and see. But the bottom line is always going to be, unless money is a problem, why NOT buy new shoes pretty often? Other than cost and closet space, there's no down side - and you might prevent injury.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Scout7

I agree with you, JK, I was just wanting to bust your chops ever so slightly. And you're exactly right.....Mileage WILL vary, not just from person to person, but shoe to shoe on those people. 300-500 miles is a good estimate, or if you're not a high mileage person, about every 4-6 months. The cushioning breaks down to the point where, like JK said, they feel like there's nothing to them. And that's OK for many people, on occasion. But, I certainly wouldn't want to do all my training mileage in flats.
                  I'm jealous of you 300-500 mile types. I'm a bad heel striker - wear through the heels in 150-200. Rest of the shoe looks great, but the place where I land is completely worn through. I buy new ones often and buy them based on 2 things: what's on sale and how hard the rubber in the heel seems.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I've been in the long process of transferring all my runs (3 years worth) from my old running log into RA, and just discovered that I ran......count them...... 712 miles on my first pair of Gel-Nimbus VII's. I don't know how I kept going so long on them, I used them for an entire cross country season and kept on until indoor track season in January. I loved the shoes, though in retrospect it was kind of stupid. I think it was the cause of a few minor injuries that winter. Can anyone beat that mileage on a single pair of shoes? Although it would be a pretty dubious honor, granted Big grin.

Me and my gang in Breck

My legs usually let me know that it's time. I start to get some pain in my shins and calves. I can usually get around 400 miles out of a good pair of sneakers. The thing that goes first in a pair of sneakers is the cushion. The sneaker can look fairly new and the cushion is no good for running.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."