Dog Talk (Read 681 times)

va

We have a male Boston Terrier. He is a great dog. He understands a lot of English. He understands a lot more than the basic “sit” and “stay” type of commands. If I say to him, “Where is the squirrel?”, he quickly runs to the back patio doors, and scans the trees. If I say, “Where is the lizard?”, he scans the deck floor, or the bricks on the side of the house (the lizards like to sun themselves there). He knows the regular, “Do you want to go out?”, where he will head for the back door, but if you say “Do you want to go out and PLAY?”, he gets real excited and bolts for the back door. He loves to play fetch with a tennis ball or stick, and he also loves to play tug-of-war with a stick or play toy. If we are in a tug-of-war battle, and I release my end of the toy, and say “I am going to get you!”, he knows the game has changed to one where I am going to try to catch him, he quickly runs away, as I chase him around. If we are outside, and say, “Let’s go home.”, he runs back into the house. What type of dog do you have? Why is he/she special to you and your family? Do you have any good stories to tell?
      Sad I don't have a dog.

Michelle

Scout7

I have an Australian shepherd, female, named Sydney (wife named the dog before we got it...). Anyway, I got her as a gift for my then-girlfriend / now-wife, since she had been bugging the ever-loving crap outta me about getting a dog for three months straight.... Anyway, I get this dog, and she's cute. Well, my wife lived in an apartment in State College, PA (Penn State), and her room had windows that stretched floor to ceiling, and opened out onto a fake balcony (that we used as a real balcony). The room next hers also had a window, but it was smaller. So, we're sitting in the kitchen, having a rare lunch together, with the dog locked in her room. All of a sudden, we hear this pitter pat of feet, and a fuzzy canine head pops around the corner. Slightly confused, we take her and put her back in the room. Not even 2 minutes later...pitter pitter pitter, "HI!!!!". OK....this is getting somewhat disconcerting. Here, we're thinkin' the dog has figured out knobs, and we're screwed. My wife takes her, puts her in the room, shuts the door as tight as possible, and fakes like she's walking away. About a minute later, the damned dog comes out of her ROOMMATE'S room. Apparently, she figured out that she could go out the window, onto the balcony, and through the other window to get out of the room (the roommate left the door open). We had to keep them closed, or put a box fan in the window to keep her in there.

My dogs are fast, not me

We have three retired racing Greyhounds. Argus, is a 7 year old brindle male. He had great bloodlines, but no desire to race. He was retired before his second birthday with two "did not finish" comments on his record. Callie is a 6 year old fawn female who will be 7 on April 15. She's pretty fiesty and was retired due to rules violations. With National GH registered dogs, they can't finish a race without their muzzle. After 5 violations, Callie was retired against her will. Butler is a 6 year old black tux. He had an illustrious racing career running Grade A and even winning a stakes race. He was retired when he was four due to a recurring soft tissue injury in his right rear leg. Greyhounds are great dogs. They're actually quite lazy and I think they'd mutany if I took them for a run. A leisurely loop around the creek, as long as it's not too hot, cold or raining and they're good. They do laps around the yard a couple of time a week, too and we meet other Greys at a ballfield for fun runs. For a story: All of the dog beds in our house are the same (and no kidding we have 9 beds) but some beds are favorites for the dogs. In order to get the bed she wants, Callie will go to the back door as if she needs to go out and when the boys get up to go with her, she goes and takes the bed she was wanting vacated. Then the boys stand out on the patio wondering why they're up. robin

Robin

We have three retired racing Greyhounds.
            That's so awesome! I would like to adopt a retired Greyhound, but my husband and I live in a "petite rowhouse" in Baltimore city. Do Greyhouds need a lot of space?
            2009: BQ?
            nemo1

I have a red and white Pembroke Welsh Corgi. His name is Einstein, and yes, I am a physicist. Get over it. He was actually named after an anime, the corgi's name in Cowboy Beebop was Ein and that is what he goes by, too. Surprisingly he does a great job running with me. I got a small/medium dog because I would be moving into an apartment, even though I wanted a running partner, in the end I decided any kind of companion is better than none and they are great dogs. Anyway, I was running with him until the snow got so far above him that he had to hop, he doesn't appreciate being reminded that he is short. So, after five miles in the snow, I decided I would wait until spring before I would let him run again. By the way, I won't let him run more than seven or eight before I just say no, no matter what. Dwarfs have limitations even if he thinks he doesn't. For a cooler story: He likes candy. No that's not right, he adores candy. He would marry it if he could. When he was a puppy he sucked all of the chocolate off of my chocolate covered espresso beans and had no ill effects (I left him alone in the car for 15 minutes and had forgotten they were even there). Ein has a stomach of steel. On the up note, his love for candy makes him willing to eat any kind of pills, except for tranquillizers, he's figured out the tiny pills make him dopey. So, I just hold a pill over his head, drop it, and he smacks his mouth open and shut and it's gone.

My dogs are fast, not me

That's so awesome! I would like to adopt a retired Greyhound, but my husband and I live in a "petite rowhouse" in Baltimore city. Do Greyhouds need a lot of space?
                Actually, no, they don't need a lot of space. They're well suited to apartment/townhouse living. They sleep about 18-20 hours a day and don't need as much exercise as you would think. Check out www.greytalk.com which is a board for owners of retired racers. There's a lot of good info available.

Robin

Wasatch Speedgoat

We have Tucker, the high maintenance dog.... We adopted Tuck as a young 8 week old pup from a rescue service in Mass. He's a Husky/Germ Shep mix and loves running as much as we all do. Here's a picture of the boy: http://tinyurl.com/2lgh2q Tucker has and will very regularly run 35 miles with us in training, he'd probably go further, but I very rarely go further than that in any training run. Tuck probably does on average 12-15 hours a week of running, mostly with my wife. Now for the high maintenance part... Last summer while running the Hardrock 100 in Colorado, we had poochie in a kennel. While there and because he is such an anxious boy, he had an incident where his stomach flipped (I don't know the technical, medical term) and he almost died. $1000. later he was fine and ready for a run. Tucker tries to break out of anything that's trying to hold him, like kennels and will break into the house through a screen to see if we're there and if he can't find us, will jump through yet a different screen to get back out and resume his search. A few months ago his snout exploded...One day I noticed a droplet of blood on his snout and a little swelling. The next day his snout looked like a Raven's, it was so swollen, and after a bit he decided he didn't like looking at it in his eyesight, so he started to rub it with his paws, where he ended up rubbing off all of his fur and skin and we had blood everywhere. A couple of weeks in a lampshade and some drugs cured that. Last week he decided that the neighbors horse looked interesting enough to chase. He got kicked and thrown back and although we brought him to the vet to be checked out, for now they just sent him home with pain drugs and he's now limping around the house...no running for awhile. Yes, Tucker (named after the Tucker man Ravine trail in NH, which was his first hike as a pup) is the cause of most of my gray hairs and eh exhausts us Tongue Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Member Since 2008

I have Two Rotty/mixes, Two Westies, Two Cats, twelve Guini Pigs and Two fish. Why soo many? I also have eight children.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

We've got a male Queensland Heeler and Boston Terrier bitch. (That will never not be funny to me. I am laughing like Beavis and Butthead as I type and read the word 'bitch'). The Queensland just turned 14 last month, and has suddenly started to show his age. His very sharp still, so we're hoping to help him with his arthritis. Our Boston is 10 and is still incredibly energetic. The past two years have been hard on us, though. We lost our Rottweiller to cancer, our cat to a diabetic seizure, and our bulldog to old age. As hard as it is saying goodbye to our pets, I can't imagine not having any, though.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

We have a boston terrier too. She is just over a year and her name is Lola. She is pretty smart and pretty nutso. For the most part she is well-behaved and a great companion. Lola is my very first dog and she has become such a huge part of my life. She runs with me once in a while...but usually I can't keep up with her! She goes crazy for cheese and comes running as soon as the fridge is opened.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Imminent Catastrophe

This is Daisy, a rescued Doberman. When we first got her she couldn't be trusted outside off leash (when this picture was taken). She's a great running buddy and will pull me up (and down) hills if I let her.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016