The Less is More approach - does it work? (Read 2185 times)

Does it really work? It has been suggested to me by my trusted physio that I should eliminate a running day and replace with cross training to keep my knee issue at bay. Has anyone actually used a Less is More training schedule? A 3X/wk schedule? http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--8257-2-1X2X3X4X5X6-7,00.html

Oh Mighty Wing

No I have not - I'm actually quite the opposite In February I was sidelined due to a knee instability issue... I started back slowly in March with no issues. In May I became a streaker. I have now run 44 days in a row, one of those days included a half marathon. I have had no knee issues... I don't know what your issues are with your knee, but if I had listened to my doctors I would not be running every day. Or even back to back days. I think you need to do try what works for you based on your aspirations.
        +1 on an absence of knee pain as my running got more frequent. I also learned how easy my 'easy' days are supposed to be, which probably helped.

Oh Mighty Wing

+1 on an absence of knee pain as my running got more frequent. I also learned how easy my 'easy' days are supposed to be, which probably helped.
          Second that!!! And the true meaning of a recovery run!
            You have to allow your body and your tendons to repair and adjust, nobody becomes a great athlete overnight and so it takes a few years to mature and listen to your injuries. I like taking off time and doing circuit weight training to support those areas that need training more.
              In May I became a streaker.
              This post is useless without pictures.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Oh Mighty Wing

This post is useless without pictures.
                And I thought I'd be safe out here...
                Ringmaster

Well, I guess it depends. I was training five days a week when I came down with knee pain and was diagnosed with tendinitis. I was given the same advice: cut back on training and train smarter. Go back to four days a week--maybe permanently, definitely short-term. I followed the advice--really, my knees hurt so badly I couldn't help but follow it. I cut back on speed work and hill training, too, per my ortho's advice. Knee pain showed up like clockwork at mile 8 of every long run, too. After about a month, the knees got better. I have recently gone back to training five days a week some weeks, with no recurrence of the knee pain. I've added speedwork again, and gone back to hill training--well, bridge training, in Florida. For me, cutting back did help. No more knee pain at mile eight, either. I gotta go back to doing my quad-strengthening stuff, though. I think doing that helped too. Just wanted you to hear from someone for whom cutting back--for a while--helped. MTA: Yes, learning what an "easy" run is supposed to be definitely helps. I think that's what cutting out speedwork and hill training did for me; just allowed every run for a while to be easy. My knees probably needed that, and as a rookie runner, I was trying to go out there and get a "great run" in every time. Duh! Surest way to an injury. I guess I found that out! K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

JimR

Don't forget to warm up nice and slow on your runs. Most have a tendency to launch right into their training pace. Remember those tendons and muscles have been sitting idle for a while. The less you run, the longer the gap and tighter they get. Yet the same people that run infrequently will push too hard starting and during their runs. That's a lot to ask of your body. Check this youtube promo vid by Paul Tergat about warming up, and don't think for a second elites don't run super slow when warming up, they do and so should you.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have found that for me, more is more. I have less aches, pains, and soreness when I am more consistent with my running. I am very good at running truly easy on easy days, so that helps.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Does it work? For reducing the risk of injury, especially if youare already having problems or symptoms, yes. For performance improvement, no.
                        Carps10

A high frequency of running can keep your joints and tissues used to the pounding of running. Running 6/7 days a week but not increasing total weekly mileage or intensity can help. But be careful about increasing volume and intensity. Let's think logically here: more running equals more pounding on your knees, which will aggravate any existing knee injuries.
                          Ringmaster

Jim2 may have hit on something: for those who've been running for a long time and have no injuries or issues, it may be great to run every day. For those who are dealing with niggly issues/injuries, it may be necessary to cut back for a while.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jim2 may have hit on something: for those who've been running for a long time and have no injuries or issues, it may be great to run every day. For those who are dealing with niggly issues/injuries, it may be necessary to cut back for a while.
                              Good point. You gotta listen to your body. And while I said more is more for me, there is such a thing as too much of good thing. Everyone's a little different. Looking back at the article cited in the original post, the FIRST training programs do involve some pretty high intensity training, so the fewer days of running, interspersed w/ cross-training, makes sense. Here's a link to the FIRST training program website. http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm Their programs aren't for me because I pretty much hate cross training and only like running.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'm hoping to find out...I am currently running alternate days, and plan on keeping it that way. I'm also keeping longer runs of 10+ to alternate weeks. I think I'm making progress, and hope to be back at 100 miles/month this month...fingers crossed Smile I enjoy running longer distances every other day, rather than shorter distances daily - but that's just my preference. I strength train 3x/week -but mostly upper body. What I am slowly moving towards is tailoring each run to incorporate hills, or intervals, or more distance, but always keeping some part of each run as easy, as in lower HR. Similar to the First program, but not quite as aggressive. I haven't done enough races or time trials to know what paces I should be running - so hard to plug into McMillan right now. I'm working towards a half in mid August, so I guess I'll find out then if the alternate day stuff is still working, or will work for longer races.... First testing the link...

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group