St. Louis Marathon Race Prediction,,, (Read 97 times)

MohMinnesota

I ended up finishing with a time of 3:48:38,,, a very very very tiny PR :/ Big grin

The race was exciting, fun, and painful as well. I enjoyed the course a lot; from the Mississippi river all the way to Forest Park.

I finished the 1st half at 1:50:54 (8:28). So I ended up with 6 min positive split if my math is right.

I guess this is a fast start for my fitness level. Should I have started at 8:45, it would have been a different outcome. Who knows Big grin

I’m not going to use the word disappointed, but rather surprised that I was not able to hold an 8:30sh. This time, starting as early as mile 8-9, I realized that I was not going to hold it. I was actually putting work and effort to keep an 8:30sh. I stayed with it and paid the bill starting at mile 23.

I’m thinking of few reasons:

1. taper was super bad. 3 weeks out (50m) 2 weeks out (15m) week race (7m)
    2. driving to Missouri on Sat morning, and not getting enough sleep
    3. lots of treadmill training in Jan and Feb
    4. bad nutrition during the cycle; lots of SODA :/

Overall, I had a lot of fun training and racing. I’m feeling much better today, and looking forward for some rest and cross-training over the next few days.

I will be doing my 5th marathon on Oct. 7th going for my 3rd Twin-Cities marathon in a row.

Starting the year, my goal was to run the TC18 at sub 3:35. This looks super tough now with this marathon result.

10K: (44:33)   13.1 (1:41:48)    26.2 - TwinCities17 (3:49:07) 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job!  Thanks for the report.  I'm glad you enjoyed the race.  Now you know what you can do better for your next marathon!

npaden

Some days you have it and some days you don't.

Maybe this was just one of those days you didn't have it.

Predicting your finishing time for a marathon is very important in setting your pace those first 10 - 15 miles.

You guessed 3:42 and you ended up wrong.  It's a fine line.

When it is all said and done 3:38 over your goal over the course of 26.2 miles is less than 10 seconds per mile.

And a PR is a PR.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Good report, congrats on the tiny PR, bummer on the tough race.  I think that of your factors, #2 is probably the biggest followed by #1. You also should have backed off as soon as you felt as though things were tough.  However, based on your shorter times I'm really surprised that things went so badly.  I would recommend building your endurance through more training mileage and fast-finish long runs. And maybe lay off the soda. :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, I'm not reading it as things went badly. A marathon PR is a damn fine accomplishment. Congrats!