5k time and average mileage (Read 215 times)

20:54 (tempo run)

avg 30 miles per week

Male age 54

No specific training, just runs of 4-10 miles with a few 13-20 mile runs once every 2 weeks

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Baboon

delicate flower

Current PR is 19:03 that I ran a few weeks ago.  I've averaged 30 mpw in 2017.  I don't train specifically for the 5K distance.  I'm a triathlete and focus on 70.3 and 140.6 training.  45 years old.

<3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wonder if Jdool894 ever came back to look at the responses.

an amazing likeness

I guess my point was that there is no correlation between the number of miles per week a person is currently running and the race times they are able to achieve, especially in a short race like the 5k.

We see faster runners, ask them what they are doing to run that time, and they say: well, I've been running 35 miles per week in 5 runs. Or 15 miles per week in three runs. And I'm able to run a 19 minute 5k. But this means almost nothing, you see. No conclusions can be drawn from this information. Just resentment. Or pride. Or envy. Small bursts of feeling that will be gone within the hour.

We want running to be what life is not. We want there to be a straight line between the work that one puts into their training and the times that result from that work. But there are no straight lines in nature. It's all curves and blind corners. Accidents and dreams. It's out of these raw materials that the runner is built.

I'll tell you the secret right now: being the runner that you want to be takes uncovering the rarest of combinations: the patience to work through injuries and sickness, in cold rain, across silent mornings, and beneath winter moons relentlessly towards your goal,  and the almost reckless extravagance to reap what you have long sown in the right instant, at the Moment of Truth. It takes the confluence of chronos and kairos to ride the razor's edge, to run the perfect race, to be that guy--the runner. That's what it takes, no more and no less.

And yet here we find ourselves once again. We wring our hands like worried farmers gazing over dry fields. We chart the correlation between race times and weekly mileage, looking for some hidden truth. Believing perhaps that if we worry hard enough over it, God will have mercy, the drought will end, and the big heavy drops will start to fall.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

Brilliantly reposted, milktruck. I love that.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We chart the correlation between race times and weekly mileage and <heart rate>, looking for some hidden truth.

Brilliantly reposted, milktruck. I love that.

Agreed. My small addition ^^

mikeymike

"...and the big heavy drops will start to fall."

Good lord. That guy should write a book.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Good lord. That guy should write a book.

He probably has...unfortunately, it's dispersed throughout RunningAhead and steadily being migrated deeper underground, like condos built on top of Pompei's foundations.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.