Chest Tight after Second Run This Year (Read 75 times)

Marklmore

Hi There,

New to the forum here and wanted to get your opinion on this.  I'm in my late 40's and have been running consistently since I was 13.  Some years more than others.  This last winter I didn't run or do anything.  Consequently, I put on about 20lbs!  Yikes.  So, I go out for my first run last week.  I went for 5km.  Probably jogged 4km and walked 1km.  Only did a light warm up and probably pelted out a bit too fast. My legs were pretty tight for the next 4 days.

3 more days later (yesterday), I go for my second jog of the year.  Because I was under a bit of a time crunch, I skipped any kind of stretching/warm up.  I decided instead to just start with a slow trot and open up later.  Everything was fine aside from being just slightly stiff.  I recall my slow start didn't last long, as I bring music with me Smile.  Then, about 2km into my run, I see another runner I want to catch.  Not feeling too bad, I decided to reel him in.  To be honest, I knew I was being stupid about this, but for some reason I didn't care.  My pace was now about 2 months ahead of where it should have been, but since I wasn't cramping up in the legs much, I kept going.  About 500m into my higher pace, I picked my pace up further to close the gap.  Ok, now I'm running like I would by mid summer.  It's not that the other runner picked up his pace, I was just being impatient.  Now, my legs are beginning to get tight.  I'm about 3km into what was supposed to be a slow jog, that has turned into fast jog.  A few more hundred meters and my legs start to really cramp.  The cramping goes from my legs to my chest. Mostly the legs.  Now I'm like 'ok, you're an idiot, slow down or stop'.  So, I slow down and do a slow jog/walk for the next 1km.

Now I do a deep breath test, because I just realized I've been shallow breathing the whole time.  I have a bad habit of doing that.  When I'm in shape, I'm pretty good on staying on top of the deep breathing, but now that I'm just starting the year out, I wasn't surprised I let it slip.  So, now as I breathed deeply, my chest feels tight.   Only tight when I breath fairly deep.  Breathing normal is ok.  I continue to jog slow while trying to do the odd deep breath while slow jogging.  Legs are a bit better, but calf is just starting a small localized cramp.  Now I stop jogging completely and walk the last 2km home.  Tightness in chest seemed to develop as I had forcibly made several deep breaths.  About an hour after my run, slight tightness in chest subsides.  Today I 'm fine.  Legs somewhat cramped and some kind of very light muscle soreness/knot in between my ribs (front chest)

Do you think the tightness in my chest, which I only experienced when I forcibly breathed deep, was caused from a combination of shallow breathing and running way too fast after a long winter of no exercise?  Or does that sound like angina? Have any of you experienced this?  To be honest, from all the years I've been running, I don't think I ever started a post winter run as stupid as that.  I'm usually very patient and build the miles up carefully.

Mmmmm...beer

Cliff notes: Out of shape, ran too hard.

You're probably fine, like you said, just need to ease back into it. Would also be easier if you didn't take the winter off, just sayin'. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Marklmore

Thanks Dave.  Just wanted to hear it from another runner, rather than freaking myself out on google..  I normally run through the winter, but had an issue with contact dermatitis around my eyes 2 winters ago. So, I'm a little paranoid to go running in the winter now.  I think I'll just hit the pool next winter.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Dave.  Just wanted to hear it from another runner, rather than freaking myself out on google..  I normally run through the winter, but had an issue with contact dermatitis around my eyes 2 winters ago. So, I'm a little paranoid to go running in the winter now.  I think I'll just hit the pool next winter.

Even just keeping your cardio up over the winter should help, then you just have to reacclimate to the pounding. Not to mention that the older we get, the harder it is to keep getting back on track. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

Been there and doing that.

I'm four weeks into a rebuilding of a running base after five months of mostly no running (I had an injured right foot and had to take a break to allow it to heal).  Now I have 25 pounds to lose.  First runs were okay and even did a 10-mile race after a couple of runs (though pretty slowly).  But what I've found its really pretty hard to run at any sort of pace for any period of time without getting out of breathe and feeling a bit of distress and tired.  No chest tightness, per se, but definitely short on breathe.  I am basically doing intervals and feel like I'm slowing down rather than getting any faster.  The more subtle signs are the fact that my heart rate is dropping with similar effort.

So, take it slow (like I must remember to do) and rebuild.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

Marklmore

Thanks for the input guys.  I don't want to make the mistake of not doing anything over the winter again!

I'm going to do another run tomorrow.  This time no excuses, proper stretch and first 10min at a slow trot.  And I'll remember to breathe deeply...not crazy deep, but more then what a slow run would require.  Then I'll run at that pace I did this past Sunday.  I don't care if I cramp up a bit, just looking to see how my chest responds.  Will let you know how it goes.

Seattle prattle

this kind of reaction your lungs did (if that was what it was) is exactly what those of us with exercise induced asthma have all the time.

Simply put, your lungs take a shock from any of a number of things and react by constricting and secreting fluids. In a nutshell, what you can do to minimize this is to warm up really well first, and even include a few strides at what will be your workout pace. All this just to introduce your lungs to the stress they are about to encounter, and in so doing, maybe they won't over-react.

There's a lot written about this online if you care to research it.

Good luck, and if it continues, you should probably see a doctor.

Marklmore

So, I had my 3rd run of the year yesterday.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Before starting, I just did some leg and lower back stretching (maybe 10min).  Then started with a lazy slow trot for the first 15min (didn't get truly warmed up until about 20min into my run).  And this time I made sure I breathed deeply from the get go.  The deep breathing became more automatic for me as I was about 1/2 way through my run.   Most of the run was on a trail which had lots of hills, unlike my run last Sunday, which was mostly flat.

After the first 10min it became clearly evident to me that my issue last Sunday was all in my breathing.  Like I mentioned before, I had a habit of shallow breathing in the past.  When I was younger this became apparent on long bike rides (100 milers).  Near the end of the bike ride I would take a deep breath (after realizing I hadn't been breathing deep) and would feel a pinching/ tickling sensation around my lungs, this was followed by a couple of quick coughs.  Back then It didn't take me long to realize I was 'panting', rather then breathing deeply.  When I learned to breathe deeply, the problem went away for good.  So last Sunday, after not running for 5 months, I did it again.  Only I didn't get that pinch/tickle/cough response. Instead, I got a tight crampy chest when I breathed deeply. Because it wasn't the same sensation, I got worried and googled the symptoms  Hard to be subjective about your own health issues while googling it.  I guess after being off of running for so long, and starting in the morning (maybe not fully awake), I was prone to shallow breathing again?

Near the end of my run I open up a little, no problems.  In the end I jogged about 8km.  Chest felt perfectly fine.  Although after my run last Sunday, there was a tinge of tightness in and just under the ribs.  Just felt a tad sore the next day.  Yesterday, no issue.  And today, I feel great.

Thanks for responding to my concerns guys, it really helped put me at ease.  Look forward to my next run this Sunday!