Mean dog (Read 1337 times)

jburgett

I live in the middle of no where. Seriously! I have been running on my road for a while now but just recently decided to turn right out of my drive way instead of left. It is a much better route than before with nice simple hills, not killer ones like the other way. The problem is that about 1/2 mile from my house is a MEAN dog. One day I was running and it came charging up behind and - I thought I was a goner! It was very scary. The owner of the dog, a frail 90 year old woman, has the dog for protection. But I don't feel like it is fair that I should be afraid to run because of her dog. I am on the other side of the road and it will come all the way into the road after me. It did this again on Saturday when I was running with my son (he was in the stroller). My husband says that if it ever bites me then it is a dead dog. What would you do? Would you continue to run or just choose another route?
    tuctam

Call Animal Control.
      seeEricaRun

Awesome

Ahhh, my favorite rant. I just can never resist this one. When I'm running, I hate dog owners with the fury of a thousand suns. When I'm biking, I hate them even more. Complaining to animal control (and to the owner) can't hurt. Does your town have a leash law? A nuisance law? I had a run-in with a dog this summer (like I do every summer) in upstate NY, and I'd had it up to the teeth. I called the animal warden for the town, and even though there had been other complaints about the dog, all he could do was send me some forms, which I'd have to hand-deliver to the owner (and go past his dog again? Uh, no), and then set a court date. Since I don't live up there, it was pointless. I don't have any faith in dog repellent devices, though I considered getting a stun gun to use on the owner. Instead I've started driving to the next town over, which has a leash law. Enforced.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I hate dog owners with the fury of a thousand suns.
          Nice. All dogs are the same, eh? And their owners too? Anybody with a fatty liver must be an alcoholic, I 'spect.
            I am an avid, avid dog lover, but for heaven's sake - people need to be aware of leash laws or keep their dogs in a fenced yard. I like to run with my dogs, and we've gotten chased by strays...it gets annoying, and you're right - sometimes it's downright scary. Even though I love dogs, I'll mace one in the face if that's what it comes to. Evil grin http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-SPRAY.html
            "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
            xor

I own two dogs. Sorry for encouraging fury and wrath. 1,000 suns is, like, a lot.

Nice. All dogs are the same, eh? And their owners too? Anybody with a fatty liver must be an alcoholic, I 'spect.
                Trent, I knew I liked you. Smile Erica - not all dog owners are poop-heads!!
                "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong

Imminent Catastrophe

They are all under control and have never, ever chased runners, except for me (two of them run with me). We do have some Hillbilly neighbors whose dogs chase me sometimes, and I have pepper spray for if they ever get close. Modified for clarity

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Might be nice to quote her entire comment. The first three words are pretty important. When I run, I hate all bikers, almost all dog owners, and JHorner. When I'm not running, I like Jhorner and love dogs. And will occasionally tolerate bikers. The "when I'm running" part is there for a reason. Ironically, its to avoid making the exact generalization you accuse her of making. Here's what she actually said:
                    When I'm running, I hate dog owners with the fury of a thousand suns. When I'm biking, I hate them even more.
                    And yes, the "when I'm biking" part almost made me delete this post. Because bikers are all evil. See what I did there? Oh - and, uh, this cute dog? His name is Comet:

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

To answer the original question. If the dog bothers you, then run the killer hills the other way. You'll probably be a better runner for it. MTA- Nice puppy JK, well played. But if you would have looked harder, you could have found this.....
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All future physicians are full of boundless compassion for their fellow humans. Except when running.
                        JakeKnight

MTA- Nice puppy JK, well played. But if you would have looked harder, you could have found this.....
                          Damn. That's way better.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Bring a dog treat with you. When he starts chasing you, throw it to him.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bring JK with you. When the dog starts chasing you, throw JK at him.
                              Purdey

Self anointed title

I was walking my dog and had my daughter in a "papoose" type thingy on my chest ... when I was attacked by two bull mastiffs. I mean attacked. I had bite marks on my arms. Luckily they didnt get near my daughter (see bite marks on my arms). The owners reaction? You guessed it. "Oh don't worry about them. They are just playing with you." Oh f_ing really? Wait til you see how my f-ing 12 bore "plays" with you and your dogs. MTA: I am a dog lover. But not in a bestial sense... not now anyway.