Duration on a run (Read 51 times)

dfmurphy

baldmanrunning

If I copy/paste from the "workouts" table, the times will paste weird into Excel. This is due to the time not being consistent. If it's over an hour, it's h:mm:ss, but if it's under an hour then it's mm:ss. See table:

7.5 mi 2:04:57
    2.5 mi 43:25:00

How difficult would it be to get time data normalized to be consistent? That would make manipulating data in an Excel sheet much easier.

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

You're actually getting 'helped' by Excel trying to help out and convert the duration from the RA log into a time-of-day...but one can use the flexibility of Excel to get it all sorted out.

What I do to standardize the workout duration is flip them to seconds, or minutes:

1) since Excel treats the hh:mm:ss text from the workout duration as a time-of-day past midnight, format the column as Custom > [h]:mm:ss (ie Excel treats the duration as a fraction of a day, which in Excel is 86400 seconds)

2) multiply by 86400 to get to seconds duration

3) divide by 60 to standardize to minutes

Here is an example from a workout entry:

(date) (activity) (type)

(course)

(distance) duration pace  
      12/10/2022 walk road

xxx

6.1 mi 1:15:16 12:21  

Note the RA workout duration is "1:15:16" which is 1h 15m 16s.  In Excel (you note you use cut-paste), this will be parsed as 1:15:16AM. Applying the 3 steps from above to the duration column, we can build two new columns

date activity type course dist duration pace duration in seconds duration coverted to min
      12/10/2022 Walk Road xxx 6.1 mi 1:15:16 12:21 4516 75.27

So in my illustration here, the 1h 15m 16s workout is converted to 75.27 minutes.

All this is pretty quick and easy in Excel, but it sure does seem complicated to describe. Hopefully this is something which will help...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.