Hey, that dog just bit me! (Read 1376 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I haven't been to a doctor in a billion and a 1/2 years. I had no idea tetanus was something that needed to be "kept up." Thanks for the info...guess I better get to a doctor. Maybe.
    Tetanus ever 10 years. Influenza every year. Doctor's visit every year. With blood pressure and weight check. Women, pap every 1-3 years depending on specific criteria. Mammogram every year after age 40 unless higher risk. Colonoscopy at age 40 or 50, then every 10 years, unless higher risk. Diabetes screening per risk factors. And loads more.

Why is it sideways?

Tetanus ever 10 years. Influenza every year. Doctor's visit every year. With blood pressure and weight check. Women, pap every 1-3 years depending on specific criteria. Mammogram every year after age 40 unless higher risk. Colonoscopy at age 40 or 50, then every 10 years, unless higher risk. Diabetes screening per risk factors. And loads more.
      This is why we hate you people.
        I see MR. Thundercloud just moved from one thread to another...raining down on everyone's parade and life...bringing reality into their lives... Did you EVER get your coffee?? Big grin
        mbk

Augmentin. Dog mouths have loads of nasties in em.
          Guess what my doctor prescribed?
          Augmentin.
          If you guessed Augmentin, you'd be CORRECT. Thanks for the guidance, everyone.
          juki

Well, I had an incident two weeks ago pretty much identical to yours. Was bitten by a dog on a leash and was so ruffled by it that I didn't get contact info from the owner. So here's what I've had to do: 1. Visit doctor. I got my tetanus booster last summer, so was up to date there. Also got a "just in case" prescription for Augmentin, although the bites didn't get infected after all. Most importantly, he was required by law to notify the health dept. More on that in a moment. 2. Go to the police to report the incident. I don't know about you, but I don't want a dog that bites people frequenting my local park, which is filled with toddlers, old people and lots of fellow runners. By reporting the attack you're more likely to make the police care if you see the dog and owner again. I now have an "incident number" so that if I happen to see the guy again, I can phone the police and request that they send an officer over so I can identify the guy. From there, they can determine what to do next: notify animal control or whatever. I'm not a vindictive or litigious person, and I love dogs. So I don't care about the guy -- but I do want that dog muzzled if it's out in public and not trained properly. 3. Get vaccinated against rabies. The health dept. required that I wait 10 days on the off chance that I'd see the dog again. If the dog was alive between the fifth and tenth day after it bit me, then I was in no danger of getting rabies.They do this because, 1) rabies vaccine is very expensive (around $1800) and they pay for whatever my insurance company won't pick up; and 2) like all vaccines, rabies vaccine can have side effects, so it's preferable to avoid getting unnecessary vaccines if one can avoid it. Naturally, I didn't see the dog again so, unless I see it when I'm out for my run tomorrow, I'm in for the first of five "shot sessions" on Tuesday. by the way, the dark ages of very painful shots has passed -- now it's like getting a flu shot. Check out the CDC site for more info. The chances of getting rabies from a dog these days is practically zero. The real danger is wild animals, like bats and raccoons. Still, there is a microscopic chance -- and I'm not taking any. Rabies is 100% fatal if not treated before symptoms appear. The shots are a total drag, but it's better than dying. I hope you see that dog again soon. But at the very least go see your doctor, because even if rabies is unlikely, there are other very nasty infections to take precautions against. Best of luck to you.
              Influenza every year.
              Are you not just feeding the monster by doing this, does this not lead to stronger strains of influenza coming to the fore that are increasingly harder to fight? I have never had a jab and (touch wood) have never had a major flu.
              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.

Go Pre!

Are you not just feeding the monster by doing this, does this not lead to stronger strains of influenza coming to the fore that are increasingly harder to fight? I have never had a jab and (touch wood) have never had a major flu.
                Had a flu shot in 2003, that is also the only year I have had the flu. Confused
                  Maybe Trent will confirm this.... A flu shot doesn't always protect you because they make the shot by guessing which strain of flu will be out that year. If they guess right, good...if not, then you get the flu anyway. Threre are many strains of flu...sort of like running shoes....
                    I've had a few run-ins with dogs (and a goat, but that's another story). The best thing I've discovered that works is to stop and turn my side or back to the dog, trying not to give direct eye contact. Dogs seem to like to chase things and when you suddenly stop, I think it kinda throws them off. Since I've been doing this, I've not been bitten. I do try to read the dogs body language the best I can. There are times they don't seem to want to stop, then I try to find something to throw. I did this once and it worked successfully. The only issue was the owner. He was cutting his grass and saw me pitch stones at his dogs. He got off his mower and came into the street to attack me. I basically told him to keep control of his dogs and that if he could catch me, he could have me. Consulted with a lawyer on this and was told that once the dog hits the street, I pretty much can to anything I want to protect myself if I feel threatened. There's not much a dog owner can do at this point.
                    JakeKnight

I've had a few run-ins with dogs (and a goat, but that's another story).
                      You're gonna toss that out ... and not tell us the goat story?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

OK! I'll tell the story, but it's a little embarrassing. I grew up in farm country in NE Ohio. There was a farm that I used to pass on one of my runs. One day, to my surprize, this goat comes out onto the road and starts chasing me. Thing was pretty fast and kept after me for over a quarter of a mile. People in passing cars were either smiling or laughing. Guess the whole scene looked pretty comical. Had to go about 3 miles out of my way to get home. Wasn't going to pass that farm again. From experience I have learned basically what a dog will do, but not a goat! I wasn't going to take any chances.
                        JakeKnight

You got chased. For three miles. By a goat. Awesome. I don't suppose you have video of this?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

OMG... yes... a video of that incident would be awesome. The story is hilarious either way. Big grin
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Had a flu shot in 2003, that is also the only year I have had the flu. Confused
                              Maybe Trent will confirm this.... A flu shot doesn't always protect you because they make the shot by guessing which strain of flu will be out that year. If they guess right, good...if not, then you get the flu anyway. Threre are many strains of flu...sort of like running shoes....
                              Right. And a flu shot does not necessarily prevent the flu even when they do match. But you'd be a friggin idiot not to get the shot. 1. The shot does NOT and CANNOT cause an influenza infection 2. Even if you get the same strain of influenza that is in the vaccine, when you get the illness it will - - be less severe - last less long - be less likely to spread to others, such as your loved ones - be less likely to become complicated with other problems such as pneumonia - be less likely to kill you 3. Even if you get a different strain of influenza that is in the vaccine, when you get the illness it may - - be less severe - last less long - be less likely to spread to others, such as your loved ones - be less likely to become complicated with other problems such as pneumonia - be less likely to kill you Remember, not all "flu" is an infection by the influenza virus. The vaccine is only intended to prevent influenza infections. Even if the vaccine does not match well, such as this year, it still offers some protection.
                              And no. Overuse of antibiotics causes stronger strains of certain bacteria. But use of vaccines does NOT cause stronger trains of vaccine-preventable infections agents. At all. All vaccines do it teach your body to kill viruses (etc) faster than it would normally kill them. So when you get infected with influenza, your body WILL cure the disease but it will take 5 days. With a vaccine, your body will "cure" it often before it makes you sick. With Hepatitis B, your body MAY cure the infection eventually (it may not). With the vaccine it "cures" it before you even get sick. This is part of why we do not have an HIV vaccine, since there is no natural human cure, we cannot mimic it and speed it up with a vaccine. Never had the flu vaccine and never gotten the flu? Lucky you. I'll bet you don't wear seatbelts either. Don't wear seatbelts cuz you drive well and have never had a major accident. And never intend to, right? I'd hate to be around when the winds shift, cuz karma can be hell. And remember, influenza CAN kill. Just like a car crash. Never had the flu vaccine and never gotten the flu? That's selfish. Basically, YOU are benefitting from all the others in the community who HAVE been vaccinated. When a large portion gets vaccinated, the circulating virus counts drop and everybody has a lower risk of getting the disease. This is why we no longer see mumps, measles, rubella, polio. The vaccine only goes so far, this community-wide immunity is the real player. And you are benefitting. Without assisting. Wink

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, but everyone knows that vaccines cause autism...right? Hollywood celebs say so! (Sorry Trent, just stirring the pot)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016