Can an Over-Pronator have ONE non-stability shoe in their arsenal? (Read 28 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm an over-pronator (duh), and right now the shoes that work best for me are the Saucony Guides (currently some 15's and 16's), a pair of Saucony Fastwitch 9's for races up to 10k.

But last November I couldn't help myself and bought a pair of the Saucony Endorphine Speed 3's in hopes they would make a great pair for race distances up to the marathon.

Thoughts? Anybody who can speak from experience?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

GinnyinPA

It may depend on how badly you pronate. I pronate, so I wear stability shoes for walking. For running, however, I usually wear a neutral shoe.  I've done that for most of the past 10 years. I have calluses that say I still pronate, but it hasn't hurt my running.

runmichigan

You might want to try the Saucony Tempus.  It is a true stability shoe in their line but not all stores carry it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It may depend on how badly you pronate. I pronate, so I wear stability shoes for walking. For running, however, I usually wear a neutral shoe.  I've done that for most of the past 10 years. I have calluses that say I still pronate, but it hasn't hurt my running.

My ankles and shins (and feet for that matter) are very picky, but the Guides have been working the best for the last..... 3-4 years now. I'm not a severe pronator, but I have to be very selective about the shoes I wear. Either the tops of my feet will complain and feel too tightly compressed, or my ankles won't feel the support and they'll complain. The Fastwitch 9's surprisingly work very well for short races, very light and not a lot of support but I have no complaints with them.

runmichigan - I'll have to check those out, but I'm currently grounded from buying more running shoes... DH thinks 7 pairs is enough 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)