How to record Intervals (Read 40 times)

an amazing likeness

That's interesting, wcrunner -- allow me reflect back to be sure I'm understanding how you approach it:  Let's assume an interval workout of 5 x 1mi @ 10K with 3 min recovery and 10 min warm-up @ easy, 10 min cool-down @ easy.  Are you noting that you'd log the workout distance as 5mi (the 5 x 1mi), and not include the warm-up, cool-down and recovery distance?  I am just curious if that's what you're saying.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

FYI - In the above situation I'd use my watch to record a separate warmup run of 10min (and count those miles), then use the watch to record the 5X1 and 3min recovery jogs (so that'd be 9 total 'laps' with four of them being recovery jogs) end the workout on the last 1mi lap.  Then start another workout for the 10min cooldown and count those miles.  So 3 workouts with the middle one having interval/recovery.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's interesting, wcrunner -- allow me reflect back to be sure I'm understanding how you approach it:  Let's assume an interval workout of 5 x 1mi @ 10K with 3 min recovery and 10 min warm-up @ easy, 10 min cool-down @ easy.  Are you noting that you'd log the workout distance as 5mi (the 5 x 1mi), and not include the warm-up, cool-down and recovery distance?  I am just curious if that's what you're saying.

No, not at all. While 5 x 1 mi @ 10K is well beyond me, I would record a workout like that as
        10:00 w/u
        5 x (1 mile @ 10K pace, 3:00 jog recovery)

10:00 c/d

Assuming I run 1 mile each for w/u and c/d and .2 miles for the 3:00 jog recoveries (total 1 mile for recoveries), I would enter 8 miles for the workout.

I'm not really concerned with the pace and distance of the recoveries other than the total elapsed time and mileage, so I don't really care and don't bother to record the individual recovery times and distance. It doesn't matter to me if my recovery is at 10:00 pace or 12:00 pace, only that it's 3:00 elapsed time, 15:00 total, and however far that turns out to be.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.