Dogs! (and how we LOVE them) (Read 1177 times)

Just keep running...

Im getting a little bummed at all anti-dog posting. I truly don't understand all the OMG A DOG WAS RUNNING AFTER ME IT WAS GOING TO KILL ME!!! I do understand that there are aggressive dogs and there are irresponsible owners, but the internet is a place for complainers and the only things that get posted are the blown out of proportion negative comments. I want to post an opposite opinion. In my life I have met hundreds of dogs, run with many dogs, and run past thousands of dogs. Of those thousands of dog encounters many, if not most run toward me which can easily be, and most of the time are, mistaken as an "Attack". This is why I think so many people are irrationally afraid of dogs. I want to re-iterate what Jarrod posted in one of the other dog posts:
    Maybe dogs are meaner out east or something, but I have had far more hostile encounters with humans on the trails than with canines....
    I just wanted to make this point, Im sure there are allot of people that LOVE dogs and have no problems with "attacks" but what is the point of posting about that? I LOVE my dog, and have never met one that I didn't. If I do ever meet a dog that is truly as aggressive as they seem to be in reading posts on the internet, I'm pretty sure the owner is exactly the same way as the dog and not someone I would want to meet. Anyway enough negative and on to the positive! I LOVE MY DOG! She is SO excited to go running, and that makes me excited to go running (although it just makes me feel bad now in pre-race tapering!) Here is a great picture of my dog Lopa and I about 9 miles into a 17 mile training run a few weeks ago. More @ Picasaweb Album I really wanted this post to be how GREAT dogs are to have as a companion and a running partner so please post all the goods thing about your/any dogs! Larakin PS. Lopa = "Run" in Swedish
    Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Biscuit, my 14# rat terrier, led me to a 5k PR (and AG award) last summer. We might have been even faster if he hadn't been distracted by those deer loping across the road just before the finish...

Jeanne

Just keep running...

Biscuit, my 14# rat terrier, led me to a 5k PR (and AG award) last summer. We might have been even faster if he hadn't been distracted by those deer loping across the road just before the finish...
        A former Roommate of mine had a 9# Rat terrier, Jezzebelle, I used to love running with her too, so was so fast and seemingly unstoppable. She would run forever and never get tired, and she would ALWAYS elicit comments for the other trailgoers because of her size and enthusiasm!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a self-proclaimed "cat person," but I still really like dogs and grew up with as many dogs as cats. I have yet to have a truly scary encounter with dogs while running. I've had a few that have made me nervous, but 100% of the dogs I have encountered have either been silly, stupid, or just a little territorial. None have ever been aggressive. Just today I ran by a house with 2 golden retrievers. These guys see me all the time, but they always come bounding out and barking their fool heads off. Then when they realize that I'm not going to stop and play with them their tails stop wagging and they pull the sad-puppy-dog-face thing...kinda breaks my heart and makes me feel guilty. I actually fear a dog following me and getting lost or hit by a car more than I fear attack. I'd feel really bad if I indirectly caused harm to someone's pet--even if it's ultimately their fault for not properly restraining their dog safely in the yard.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just keep running...

I actually fear a dog following me and getting lost or hit by a car more than I fear attack. I'd feel really bad if I indirectly caused harm to someone's pet--even if it's ultimately their fault for not properly restraining their dog safely in the yard.
            Wow I whole-heartedly agree with that statement, but Ive never really thought of it that way!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

backroadrunner and I were running in her neck of the woods a couple of years back and had a dog follow us for a couple of miles, including crossing a busy highway. When we got back to her house she loaded the dog into the back of her Jeep and we drove the bozo pup back to the area where we had found him, then she called a few people who she thought he might belong to, just to let them know what he'd done.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well Larakin, I have to say I LOVE my dogs and all dogs as well. BUT let me share this with you - My first dog was a rotweiler I was convinced would be the best dog in the world because I would raise it with the respect and discipline that all dogs need. I too thought the problems with nasty dogs were primarily the owners, however this one taught me otherwise At only 3 MONTHS old she was everything a puppy should be - loving, chewing, excited and an overall joy. Until it was time for her to eat or she found something outside she really liked. I immediately picked up on her aggressiveness and took the proper steps to start training her out of it. I hired a trainer who bred rotweilers and gave all her "clients" one on one attention at a private "sleep -away" facility. Zoe (or demon dog as we refer to her now) spend a week with this woman with intense training. When I went to pick her up, I got to witness how much she changed and how obedient she had become with the right commands and signals. Excited and with re-newed hope, I took her home and set up my follow - up training with the same woman for the upcoming weeks. I fed her immediately when I got home and she immediately followed it with a nice skin-breaking bite to my finger. 3 MONTHS old remember...... For the next week, I had to feed her with construction gloves on my hands, while my boyfriend manned the choke collar and leash needed to correct her when she felt the need to attack me. After a week I realized I was not the person to handle this type of dog and promptly allowed the trainer to adopt her, complete her training and then place her in another home with someone who was better equipt to love this dog for the rest of her life. It was one of the most life-altering decisions I have ever had to make and it completely ripped me apart. The moral of the story is that 1. Not all nasty dogs are products of their owners - some dogs just have it in them. and 2. Any dog who is dominant by nature will test the owner's dominance EVERY day until the day that dog dies. That just how it is. If the owners arent able to be that pack leader every second of that dogs life, the natural dominace of a dog will instinctly take over. sadly, MOST owners of potentially agressive dogs aren't aware of how they need to train their animals. Congratulations to you for being that leader your dog needs. I hope I didnt bring the happy feeling of your post to a grinding halt, I just wanted to shed some light on the fact that someone who is running and happens upon a dog or 2 that have no owner to accompany them has every right to feel threatened and do what they feel is necessary to keep themselves safe. On the up side, I have two wonderful animal companions now and they are everything you could ever want in a friend. I will end by saying I LOVE dogs, but trusting one you don't know 100% could be a mistake. I'll go back in my cave now....
                  I agree that most dogs i meet are polite and friendly and nice. But I am still wary each time one apporaches me; I usually pull my hands up so they can't snap at them easily. But, since this is about our Love of our dogs - I LOVE my golden retriever. He's a silly goofball, but our family is so lucky to have him. This past summer he had some sort of "incident" - we're still not sure exactly what happened, but maybe a heart something-or-other. Beacuse of the uncertainty of exactly what he has, he was on forced couch potato status the past 6 months. I just started taking him out with me again, when he wants to go (he lets me know if he's too tired by pouting at me from his bed when i get the leash). Here is a picture from last weekend on a very special run up in the snow. I call this "Catching Snowflakes"
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Beatin' on the Rock

Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                    Gig

I may have posted this anecdote on another forum. I can't remember for certain. A few months ago I ran by a man walking his dog, and the dog started howling when he saw me. The guy tried to get her to stop, but couldn't. He apologized as I ran by, but I told him now worries, and that I really appreciated the dog cheering me on. As I continued running, I heard him joining the dog in howling for me. Now, whenever I run by a yard with dogs barking at me, I know that it's because they are cheering me on, and it helps me get in a good workout.
                        My old mutt Savannah, and I ran 3 0r 4 10ks. She was a shepherd mix, and the love of my life. I miss her so, so much!! We are not getting a new dog until fall. Can't wait!

- Anya

Dog-Love

I may have posted this anecdote on another forum. I can't remember for certain. A few months ago I ran by a man walking his dog, and the dog started howling when he saw me. The guy tried to get her to stop, but couldn't. He apologized as I ran by, but I told him now worries, and that I really appreciated the dog cheering me on. As I continued running, I heard him joining the dog in howling for me. Now, whenever I run by a yard with dogs barking at me, I know that it's because they are cheering me on, and it helps me get in a good workout.
                          That's great Gig...I have always thought that barking dogs in yards were begging me to take them out of their gated community for a romp! Now I'm going to look a tthem differently My dog is an awesome running partner but we stick to trails.
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                            I met an adorable running partner yesterday. It was 4:30 pm, a snowstorm on the way and I felt the need to get in a 4 miler before the storm and dark. So I set off on my around the lake route and was joined by a not so cute black and white bull doggish creature. She just kept pace with me, raced ahead, came back, sniffed about, and all the things dogs do. She stayed with me all around the lake and I chatted with her a bit and raced her a few times. What she lacked in looks, she made up for in charm. I stayed off the one busy road as I was afraid she'd follow and have a run in with a car. What a great dog! It made me wish I had one, but for now I'll just look for her on my runs and we'll be running buddies. Dogs are great.
                              I run with my chocolate lab, and I don't run well without her! She's the perfect running companion. She never whines that it's time to go running, she goes at my speed, she's happy with whatever distance I do, and she never complains if I stop to walk for a little bit. Smile We come across quite a few dogs on our outings, and I've yet to come across a scary dog. I did get tripped up by something that I think was a dog once - some little thing, about the size of a rat, yapping at me, darted around in between my legs. My dog and I both laughed a little, ignored the little thing, and kept right on running. Dogs are GREAT!! Big grin Here she is after a hard hour or so playing on the beach, covered in sand:

Michelle

chrimbler

The moral of the story is that 1. Not all nasty dogs are products of their owners - some dogs just have it in them. and 2. Any dog who is dominant by nature will test the owner's dominance EVERY day until the day that dog dies. That just how it is. If the owners arent able to be that pack leader every second of that dogs life, the natural dominace of a dog will instinctly take over. sadly, MOST owners of potentially agressive dogs aren't aware of how they need to train their animals. .
                                I must respectfully disagree, the dog will accept you as pack leader, it does take about 2 weeks, but once it realizes that your energy is the Alpha energy all , and I mean all dogs will be happy. There are actualy very few dogs that want to be the pack leader, they are more than happy to follow, it's an easier life. You job is to enforce the fact, calmly, that what you tell the dog is just how it's going to be, no arguement, period! You don't have to hit, scold or any nasty stuff, you just have to project the right energy. I would say you mistake was that you started out with a breed that you could not control, which many people do, because they are a symbol of look at me I can control this ferocious beast! The reason that youe Rottie bit you is that you were not pack leader! A pack leader tells the pack where to sleep, how long, when and what and how much they can eat, pretty much has the last say in anything...it's all about the right energy...it's how nature works, and has worked well for a LOT of years!
                                Run like you stole it!