Dog attack while out running (Read 1245 times)

Man in Tights

I often encounter dogs during my run. Strangely enough I find strays pretty cool. Cool. They're used to people. And don't bother about runners. It's the pets that usually attack. I've been attacked twice running cross country. Here's what I've done and would do if luck runs out. Stop running and start walking away. Dogs are territorial and usually relax when they think they've scared you out of their turf. Don't make eye contact. Usually dogs get agressive when stared back at. If they still approach yell or scream - no, heel, stay whatever you think will work. If that doesn't work man you're in trouble. Don't run unless you sure that safety is nearby - a house (which may have more dogs) a vehicle or a tree. Continue screaming to attract attention. If an attack is imminent look for a heavy stick or stone. And fight like hell - bite back if necessary. Help should be on its way soon. Safe running

Prophet!

alternatively, you can run in a bear suit. Shy
      JakeKnight

alternatively, you can run in a bear suit. Shy
        No. Run in a cat suit. Chase the dogs. Dogs love irony.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't make eye contact. Usually dogs get agressive when stared back at.
          Totally disagree. Look the dog in the eye. Stare it down. Stare it down as you walk away. Averting your eyes is a sign of weakness. You MUST play alpha dog. If you play weak, you are playing prey.

Feeling the growl again

Any remotely socialized dog is NOT truly an alpha. They are always submissive to SOME human, and so if you act dominant it makes them think twice. I make direct eye contact and act as mean, aggressive, and in charge as I can without being provocative. The .1% that don't care are usually, in my experience, unsocialized dogs with little or no training (ie, chained/fenced in the back yard without any attention their whole lives) that always have a chip on their shoulder and act aggressive towards about everything. After years I can usually pick them out in the first few seconds though it's more instinct than anything. The above paragraph is for bigger dogs, the ones I really worry about. Little dogs without a clue and who WILL bite are a LOT more common. I can't count the number of small dogs I have had to punt kick because they ignored every attempt to stop them or avoid a confrontation and just went for the lower leg without a second thought.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No. Run in a cat suit. Chase the dogs. Dogs love irony.
              Now that's funny

Running on the ocean

I thought it would be a good idea to post this kind of question to Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) asking him what to do when a dog attacks a runner. I went to his website and wrote to him a message. Here's the somewhat expected answer: "Thank you for emailing Cesar Millan, Inc. with your dog behavior question. This is an auto-reply. Unfortunately, Cesar is not available at this time for private consultations in person, via email, or by phone. Cesar receives hundreds of emails each day from fans across the country looking for advice, so, as you can imagine, it is impossible for him to personally help each individual."

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                -- Jakob Herrmann
                my running achievements

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Makes you wonder why the website even offers an email.

Running on the ocean

Makes you wonder why the website even offers an email.
                    Yeah, that's true. They probably want people to email him asking to hire him. Those emails for sure will be answered. It's all about business in today's world, baby!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                    -- Jakob Herrmann
                    my running achievements

JakeKnight

Totally disagree. Look the dog in the eye. Stare it down. Stare it down as you walk away. Averting your eyes is a sign of weakness. You MUST play alpha dog. If you play weak, you are playing prey.
                      I knew you never read my links. You can disagree, but the other guy's right. Every expert agrees with the "avert your eyes" thing. Google is your friend. From the first hit:
                      If you're in the street and a dog approaches you and its body language looks aggressive, be cautious. Stand your ground. Don't look the dog in the eyes but back away slowly.
                      From the link you didn't click on:
                      * Never run away. Stay still and remain quiet. * Don't make any sudden movements with your hands. The dog will acknowledge this as a threat. * Avoid eye contact. * The dog will eventually let down his guard and back off. * At this point, you can slowly move away from the situation.
                      I ignore this advice, of course. But that's because I affirm my fragile manhood by having stare down contests with chihuahuas. Little wusses.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Running on the ocean

having stare down contests with chihuahuas. Little wusses.
                        Now that's funny! Thanks for the laugh. My co-workers looked funny at me Big grin

-- Jakob Herrmann
                        my running achievements

Another Passion

Fortunately, it was a Yorkie. Somehow I survived.
                          Dude, glad you made it out of that altercation alive!

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

kcam

I had an encounter yesterday - big white dog running at me from behind. Not barking, though. This is my lunchtime run out on the levees with no civilization around for quite a ways. I turned around, faced him and said "no" in a commanding voice a coupla times and pointed off in the diirection he had come from and told him to "go". He did. If only that same voice worked on my wife. Another thing I've done in the past which has sent just about every single mutt packing is the mere act of stooping down to pick up a rock. You generally don't even have to pick one up - they get the picture fast.
                              Maybe dogs are meaner out east or something, but I have had far more hostile encounters with humans on the trails than with canines.... or maybe I just like dogs better than people? I shall close my argument with some quotes from the wonderful Charles Shultz Snoopy: "My dad used to run with the hounds but his sympathies were elsewhere. He used to run on ahead and warn the rabbits!" Charles Shultz: “I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.” Snoopy: "My life has no purpose. My life has no direction, no aim, no meaning. And yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out! What am I doing right?"

Life is Good

I personally have never been attacked while running...my Husband has been bitten twice while running...he carries pepper spray all the time and has used it on a couple of occasions and he says it works well, he never leaves home without it. what he carries is small and it can be clipped to your waste band or carried in the hand, depending on where you live you should find this stuff at most sporting good stores. I hope this helps!

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between