Masters Forum in Communities (Read 1128 times)

Head Procrastinator

A slew of Masters from the CR Boomers and Beyond have migrated over here, most at my suggestion that the log rocks. Now they have made a user group, however that kind of makes outsiders feel unwelcome. How about another regular community for Masters? Barb
    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hally, anybody can create a group at any time, just go to here: http://runningahead.com/groups/Directory That said, I would think that the existing Masters thread should be made more inclusive. You should post over there requesting the change. I will too.
      eric :)

A slew of Masters from the CR Boomers and Beyond have migrated over here, most at my suggestion that the log rocks. Now they have made a user group, however that kind of makes outsiders feel unwelcome. How about another regular community for Masters? Barb
        Hally, I prefer a democratic approach to this. I have no problems create a new forum on the main board. I'll do it if that's what people want, which means they need to chime in here. Once I get a handful of responses, I'll create it. Does that sound fair? eric Smile
        va

My views... There is a Masters group that was created. It is public and everyone is welcome to join public groups. I notice halley is now a member, so I think all may be good. Smile Trent requested that the text in the group description be made more inclusive. This is a good suggestion, but may not be possibl. I don't think the text in the Latest Group listing gets updated, even if you update the description on the groups home page. I noticed this in a group I recently created. I guess it's a snapshot. Lastly, I like the current structure of allowing users groups to be created to allow people with some common interest to congregate. I don't see the need to put these groups on the main page. How would you decide which groups get a place on the main board?
            create a new forum on the main board. eric Smile
            Might work but you would lose your reports and options features. Non-masters would be chiming in often. Everyone starts wanting their group on the main forum page. It's only 2 clicks away from community to our fav group. Sheesh, my finger hurts!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't think the text in the Latest Group listing gets updated, even if you update the description on the groups home page.
              That seems to be the case. Eric, can this be fixed?
              spacityrunner

I like that there are user groups and forums. While the masters group was started by former CR boomer and beyond folks, I hope long time RA folks who are 40+ will join in the discussions. The group is not any more or less exclusive than the other user groups in that they look to attract those with like interests/backgrounds. If all members who have an interest in posting do not feel welcome I am sorry. What can the group do to help you to feel welcome? Move it to the forums? Please let Eric know. Oh, and BTW, Eric, you rock!!! This site and its members are the greatest.

Trails Rock!

Head Procrastinator

I posted a thread there as the original idea was buried in another. Let the group weigh in on what they want. If Eric is willing it's my opinion it should be a main community forum. Hoping the others chime in. Barb
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  Tramps

Some of us CR refugees stumbled in and are very appreciative of what you've created. I think everyone's trying to do what makes the most sense. It's a balancing act between not wanting to appear exclusive with a user group and not wanting to disrupt the main forum. Trent's point is right on; now that people have found this place, we need to describe whatever is created as simply a master's forum/group for everyone interested. I can go either way on this.

Be safe. Be kind.

I think "Masters Running" should be listed as a subhead under "All About Running," just as "Running 101" and "Crosstraining" are listed as subheads. Then we could create all our favorite threads under "Masters Running," such as the Daily Thread, Crosstraining thread, 40/40 thread, 50-Plus thread, etc. That's the rational structured way to handle this matter, in my opinion. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        As I said in a thread within our own user group: With respect, Masters Running is more than a separate group. It is a major running category. That's why I see it belonging on the main page. Just as it was at Cool Running. Dark Horse
                        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

#artbydmcbride

I agree with Dark Horse's first remark. I think it could be a sub section within All about Running. Even if it stays where it is, the description should be changed to be more inclusive. Thank you!

Runners run

va

Some more to consider… The forum categories on the main page and groups are really 2 different things. I will try and explain, by giving some examples of how they are different… Groups have members, forum categories do not. Groups have owners and administrators, forum categories do not. Groups have customizable options, forum categories do not. Groups have a home page, forum categories do not. Groups can be password protected, forum categories can not. Members can be banned from a group, and not from a forum category. Groups have a “Reports” page, forum categories do not. Groups have a “Maps” page, forum categories do not. So the main forum board is like the central public square for people to talk about running topics. There is no “membership”. Whereas groups provide a place where people can congregate and talk about something they have in common (e.g., masters, people looking to run 1000 miles, low heart rate training, people running for weight loss, …).
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Another idea ... Eric - would it be possible to have a list on the right hand side of the forums main page that listed a quick-link to all public groups that have more than, say, 30 members? Of course with a "User Groups" button that goes to the main user groups page. Wink I think if the biggest/most popular groups were hot-listed like that, it would keep them easy to find for newbies and easy to access for regular users/posters. And using a size-cutoff would keep the list from becoming too long. (Or you could just make it the largest 10 or 15...)

Roads were made for journeys...

Spot on Wingz! Spot on. Cool That is the best solution without cluttering this very nice, home that eric built.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka