Favorite sunglasses? (Read 1362 times)

I tried to search the forums for everyone's favorite sunglasses for running, couldn't find anything-any suggestions? Are they like shoes and tech gear, that glasses specifically for running/sport are better than "regular" sunglasses? I am getting old soon (35th B-day coming up, why does 35 seem soooooo much older to me that 34??)-and figure I better start protecting the eyes. Thank you!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Definitely protect your eyes...cataracts are caused by UV damage. My younger brother (going on 32) already has small cataracts forming. I have a pair of Tifosis with photochromic lenses (backcountry orange) that I really like. Though I have issues with them fogging. I have this problem with any sunglasses during cold weather runs. I think they could be vented better (they hug my face very well, so airflow between the lens and my face is minimal), but it doesn't help that I'm apparently a very sweaty heavy-breather, heh. I think my shades are designed mostly for mountain biking, but since a lot of my runs have very varied lighting conditions (deep shade along wooded roads, full sun out on open prairie areas) they work perfectly. I found them for a good price...I think I paid about $23 through the REI outlet last Fall. There are other good deals on various models of Tifosi shades with Fototec lenses, though. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have a pair of Native Hardtop. Lifetime warranty (send them any piece of a broken pair and $30 and you get a new pair). Also comes with three sets of lenses and another set of arms that have a head strap. http://www.nativeyewear.com/prod_details.php?style_id=13
        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Life is Good

I am a fan of Oakley's, I have a pair of Blades. They are a bit expensive but if you look on e-bay you can usually get them cheaper than their website. (with anything you look at be careful of rip - off look a likes) http://oakley.com/

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Lisa3.1

I have the maui jim
            Lisa3.1

dup. post

Hoodoo Guru

I've only been wearing sunglasses the last two years after 30 years of running, for the cataract issue mentioned above. I always thought sunglasses would be annoying and uncomfortable. I have the $20 Ironman brand sunglasses from Target, and they are great.

The tangents are moot.

I wear cheap polarized fishing sunglasses from wal-mart. I refuse to buy expensive ones because I will either lose or break them.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wear cheap polarized fishing sunglasses from wal-mart. I refuse to buy expensive ones because I will either lose or break them.
                    Heh, I have found that the more I spend on sunglasses, the more careful I am. I was always losing and breaking the cheapo ones. Though I still won't pay full retail. I don't like paying more than 50% of the original price. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MissGiggles

I have never bought "good" sunglasses before and I have always worn them, but now I have a pair of Oakleys and they are amazing. You can see so much better in them. I have the half jackets (polarized) but there were a cute pairs by Maui Jim.
                        Thanks all-I appreciate the input! AND, I think I will just ask DH for some sunglasses for my birthday!
                          Hahaha I was about to post this exact message. In fact mine are the Nascar brand Wink
                          Heroes never die. They just reload.
                            i'm another one with oakleys - half jackets for me too. i bought them initially for cycling but now run in them too.
                            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I have the oakley full jakets and love them. They are also perscription sunglasses which make them even better but expensive. I have never like wearing glasses more. They just plain rock.
                                2011 Goals:
                                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Just Do It

I have a pair of Oakley and a pair of Tifosi's. I like the Tifosi's better, even though they cost 1/3 as much. They are slightly bigger and have little vents in the top to stop fogging, which works sometimes, but better than my Oakley's. The Tifosi lens is not as highquality as Oakley, but when I am running 13 miles, shades of optical clarity aren't my biggest concern, but rather fit, comfort, blocking power, etc. I wear glasses on all my runs, no matter the day or time -- I like how they shield my eyes from wind, glare, tree branches, etc. The Tifosi's came with several lenses, but I usually just stick with the amber one. I also have a pair of Bolle Recoil that I love, but found that they are a little heavy to run in and probably not the best running glasses.
                                My NY running blog Never Quit