2020 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 109 times)

Julia1971

Registration is now open!  It looks like they are metering access to the website.  I had to wait an hour to get in...  I didn't get the option of entering my non-guaranteed qualifying race so I'm wondering if I missed something...

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh my lord, they're doing this metering thing after the disaster that occurred with Brooklyn???

I think NYRR is one of the best running organizations out there, but this new waiting in line thing is a complete disaster.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Julia1971

Oh my lord, they're doing this metering thing after the disaster that occurred with Brooklyn???

I think NYRR is one of the best running organizations out there, but this new waiting in line thing is a complete disaster.

I'm trying not to contribute to the cluster by logging back in.  But at the same time, I'm worried about my non-guaranteed slot.  Those are first come, first serve and I don't want to miss out.  I'll scour the interwebs to see if I missed something...

Julia1971

A super helpful person on Facebook posted that non-guaranteed qualifier spots are full: https://www.facebook.com/nycmarathon/posts/10158136912458324?hc_location=ufi

Well, my streak may be coming to an end!  Will cross my fingers on gaining entry through the lottery and research Berlin. Edited to add: Berlin registration was back in October!  Oh well.

Baboon

delicate flower

I had a non-NYRR qualifier and decided to pass.  I was worried I'd have regrets for doing that, but it looks like I saved myself some disappointment.

<3

DavePNW

I had a non-NYRR qualifier and decided to pass.  I was worried I'd have regrets for doing that, but it looks like I saved myself some disappointment.

+1

Dave

Julia1971

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.  However, I may still get in via the lottery.  (I got in the first time that way, after all.)  AND, this gives me an excuse to do something else.

DavePNW

So do people think this is a trend for the future? And either you’ll have to get lucky, or they’ll end up lowering the Q times & maybe handle it more like Boston? Or is this just a demand spike due to the 50th anniversary? I suppose no one really knows for sure at this point, but wondering if there’s a general opinion on the matter.

I’ve never run it, but qualified for the first time for this year’s race. I wasn’t planning on it this time around anyway, but would like to at some point.

Dave

Julia1971

So do people think this is a trend for the future? And either you’ll have to get lucky, or they’ll end up lowering the Q times & maybe handle it more like Boston? Or is this just a demand spike due to the 50th anniversary? I suppose no one really knows for sure at this point, but wondering if there’s a general opinion on the matter.

I’ve never run it, but qualified for the first time for this year’s race. I wasn’t planning on it this time around anyway, but would like to at some point.

100% purely speculative on my part because I haven't done any reading but I'll guess it's the 50th-anniversary thing.

I'll also co-sign a FB post I saw that said they should have done a separate registration day for people who had time qualified.  It irritates me a little that I might not have been able to access the site because people who had until February 13th to register for the lottery were on there.

Whatever...  I've been lucky to run the race 7 years in a row, which is amazing!  No room for bitterness in that.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'll also co-sign a FB post I saw that said they should have done a separate registration day for people who had time qualified.  It irritates me a little that I might not have been able to access the site because people who had until February 13th to register for the lottery were on there.

Agreed. Once again, this new waiting system they have is a complete joke. Just pay more money for better servers. They're the richest racing organization in the world, and they've handled this kind of traffic for years in the past.

Also, I've never seen this non-NYRR fill up like this.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LRB

If you're indifferent to the event then it's easy to dismiss it and you can just go on with your life nose unscathed. On the other hand, Imagine if you've been trying to qualify and you finally managed to do it only to now realize you aren't getting in. Or you've run it in the past and genuinely want to run it again for whatever reason(s)...

Yeah. That.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry LRB. That really sucks. Any chance you can run a guaranteed race, ie one of the NYRR races that qualifies? I have a feeling that NYRR will either increase their standards, or only allow guaranteed via their races.

FSBD

Yeah I signed in the first day and got in the waiting room so I just left and registered the next day.  I ran Brooklyn last year so I got to avoid the waiting room for both Brooklyn and NYCM.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In 2015 I got in using a non-NYRR qualifier, without any problem. That was pretty much the peak of the running boom. I wonder what's different now.

Julia1971

It's drawing day! Post your results!  I read somewhere each of us has something like a 2% chance...  Sad