Race HM and then rush to a graduation? (Read 76 times)

Brilliant

I really want to run a half marathon on a day that a close friend's son is graduating high school.  She really wants me to be at the graduation,

Here's my planned schedule:

7:05 begin HM

9:15 finish HM

9:25 get in car, stuff face with food while driving

10:05 arrive at gym near graduation, shower (won't have time to wash & dry hair - buy cute hat?) put on some makeup etc

10:40 get in car again

10:50 arrive at graduation

A few things could go wrong:  Race could start late (I've done it twice before and it has started very close to the scheduled time).  I could get injured or otherwise miss my time goal.  Traffic could jam.

Would you do the race?

HermosaBoy

Would you do the race?

Why not?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Brilliant

Why not?

Because if the things go wrong...then I miss the graduation.

I guess I'm the only one who can decide if I'll have an unacceptable level of anxiety about a possible delay.  Forgot to put in my post also that my husband will be in the back row saving me a seat.  So really worst case is that I sneak in a little late.

OK if I'm being honest, worst case is that I end up in photos with the proud mom & happy graduate and I look like crap because I ran a half marathon and didn't wash my hair. 

HermosaBoy

I ran from my house to my son's high school to watch him perform at the half time of a football game in the marching band. It started early and I ran past the band (at a brisk pace) as they were entering the field.

I made it in time and it was a good story.

ETA -- There were no photos...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DavePNW

Solution: run faster. 

If it was my own kid, I wouldn't do it. For someone else's kid, why not. It's not like if you're 10 minutes late, you'll miss the whole thing. HS graduations go on forever anyway. And usually the pics are afterwards. The exception would be if you have a spouse waiting for you who would be stressed out about being on time.

Dave

an amazing likeness

You've got a plan. Execute the plan. Trust your plan.

There's a lot of points along the way to pull the ripcord...

If you wake up race morning and don't like the risk as the day starts, don't run.

If the race is going slower than planned, DNF, leave early.

If you're late getting to your back row seat, you win, you missed a high school graduation speech.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You'll run faster because you have a deadline, a PR opportunity even.  Suggest taking a gallon jug of water and dump it over your head after your race, that should wash off any sweat. Towel off, Change into dry clothes and blow dry in gym if hair still wet, you will be good as new. 

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Why is doing the race that important?

No matter what, (even if all goes great) you're going to be rushed and stressed about getting to graduation on time, throughout the race and after.  Just does not sound like an enjoyable experience at all.  And I'll bet your friend picks up on your rushed feeling - if not on the wet hair.

My opinion - there will be other halfs (or this one will come round again next year) - the kid will only graduate once.

If she's that close of a friend, go to the graduation.  Enjoy the event.  Celebrate with her and the family.

If you really need the miles, run 13 the day before, or the day after.

paul2432

I say do the race.  I’m biased though (we are on the same 2019 in 2019 team).

Seattle prattle

...Here's my planned schedule:

7:05 begin HM

9:15 finish HM...

2:10 HM

Back to your question, I had a similar experience once when i was doing the Boston Marathon for the first time. I had already bought my flight tickets and was reading that book about the big Boston Marathon showdown between Salazar and Bill Rodgers. I got to part about race day and it said something about how Rodgers was antsy finding things to do because the Boston Marathon always starts near noon. I just about screamed when i read that, because the flight i had booked was leaving at about 5 PM the day of the race.

Thinking it through, i realized that I am the type of person that would be nervous and anxious all during the race about making the necessary connections on time to not miss the flight. I knew that the added anxiety would detract from my ability to focus.

A HM may not be as stressful, granted, and you don't have a make it or break it flight to catch. But the point is the same - are you the type of person that will stress before and during the race? Or are you going to feel kind of good that you were able to tuck in a nice little HM before your morning obligations? Or, are you just simply okay with it - i.e.: neutral.

If you are the type that will feel stressed, I would think twice. Why make a challenging event even more so?

FWIW, I ended up booking a new flight the next day and lost the full price of original flight out.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You’ve got plenty of time to do both. It’s not like you’re going to be a bridesmaid at her wedding. Run the race and don’t focus on what could go wrong.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Friendship is more important than a race. Your friend values you and wants you to be there and forever on those pics. How much do you value her friendship?

Not to sound too negative but one could even see this as pretty selfish. Because instead of doing something for someone else, you are putting your own stuff first and your friends second.

Dont get me wrong - I have done that far too many times myself and wished I was much better at this.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Is this a really small race? 10 minutes from finish line to car seems possible in a small race, not so much for a larger one. And is parking off the race route? You don't want to be stuck in traffic hell for all those runners

I probably wouldn't do it. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because when I have had plans after a race or other event, it seems like that is when shit happens (flat tire, PW, etc)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Friendship is more important than a race. Your friend values you and wants you to be there and forever on those pics. How much do you value her friendship?

Not to sound too negative but one could even see this as pretty selfish. Because instead of doing something for someone else, you are putting your own stuff first and your friends second.

Dont get me wrong - I have done that far too many times myself and wished I was much better at this.

There are different types of “friendship”.... the fact that the OP is posting on here makes me think they aren’t best buddies. 🤨

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I assume the race starts and finishes at the same place.

i guess you could run through the finish line and keep running to your car.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes