Jogging... Not. (Read 2593 times)

It's all in your head. I don't consider myself a jogger but someone who passes me on the road doing two minutes per mile faster than me may believe he (or she) may have passed "a jogger". I don't care. I'm not doing this to impress anyone else. I'm doing it because I have to. If I don't, my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being will suffer greatly. To those who run a lot farther and faster than me, I say great. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

See, that's why Boston is a waste of time; too many joggers.  Also, it's too difficult meet the dumb high speed qualification.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

It's all in your head. I don't consider myself a jogger but someone who passes me on the road doing two minutes per mile faster than me may believe he (or she) may have passed "a jogger". I don't care. I'm not doing this to impress anyone else. I'm doing it because I have to. If I don't, my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being will suffer greatly. To those who run a lot farther and faster than me, I say great. TC

You know, if I say it this way, I think you're going to argue and say that you didn't mean it that way.  Your "tone" almost seems to carry that there's something wrong with being fast (or faster).  It seems to me that you just have some chips on your shoulder.

Two of my dear friends, Arthur Lydiard and Bill Bowerman, wrote some of the first ever books written on jogging.  Bill's son just sent me a copy of very first red booklet simply called "JOGGING".  I think it's so cool; it's a piece of history; it was the beginning of the era when people got outside, not on a confined track and said; "I don't care if I'm not a college competitor.  I wanna get out and RUN!"  I say; let's make some T-shirts that reads; "I'm jogging and am proud of it!"

I remember, way back I think it must have been like 1985; I was back in Japan and my city had a New Year's 8km road race.  I was warming up by "jogging" and I came across this young lady (but I was younger so she was actually older than me).  I said hi and asked if it's okay if I "jog" with her.  We jogged and chatted and had a good time.  The race started and I actually won that race.  At the award ceremony, there I was, brought out to the front, onto the podium and received a nice cup as a matter of fact.  She said that and freaked out.  I spotted her so I asked her to go for cool-down by "jogging".  She insisted she's not worthy!  So I literally grabbed her arm and dragged her out and jogged together to cool down.  Hey, I (once) was fast.  She was slow; but who the hell cares?

don't remember exactly where or when but I do know it was a long time ago, I came upon this definition of the difference between a runner & a jogger : 

" a jogger is anyone  who runs at a slower pace than ME"    remains one of my all-time favorite running quotes.

Nobby (who has forgotten more about running that I have ever known) didn't mention that in Lydiard training (and the program that Nobby and his partners designed for all of us weekend wariors)  they have an entire run category for Friday runs called "JOG"....    The jog in Nobby's Lydiard plan is a shorter distance at a slower pace than normal....

I think of a 'JOG' as a super recovery or warmup up run (when I say super, I mean super easy)........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Just a dude.

My garmin program tells me when I am running or jogging with it's handy dandy zones...

Last night... I did some at jog pace, most at slow run pace, and a little at run pace...

Isn't that grate? I don't even have to think!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nobby (who has forgotten more about running that I have ever known)

Nobby has fogotton nothing about running.

kcam

Jogger all the way!   I hate it when people refer to my 'jogging' as 'striding'.

\

keeponrunning

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." 

Great one! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

MoBramExam

No membership card...damn!  Can we at least get together and come up with a secret handshake or something?

keeponrunning

No membership card...damn!  Can we at least get together and come up with a secret handshake or something?

I thought that was the high-five followed by sweaty hug at the end of a race....Wink  

At my race today (Breast Cancer Run) there was a couple guys in complete pink spandex, face covered and everything, who started the run, then turned around and high-fived everyone.  I have a feeling if they had not they could of whipped my butt.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Jogging ...running ... its all good  Big grin

Jogging ...running ... its all good  Big grin

what a cool avitar

- Anya

Imminent Catastrophe

what a cool avitar

I was thinking, creepy.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016