Can someone recommend a good, reasonable way to lose 5-6 lbs? (Read 1470 times)

JakeKnight

Quickest way I have found to drop 5 lbs....STOP DRINKING ALCOHOL!
    She said a "reasonable" way. That is the opposite of reasonable.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

It must not provide the nutrition I need because I'm constantly light-headed and feeling weak.
      I ran into the same problem when I first joined WW. I was doing the flex plan and counting points, but I wasn't very good about eating all of my fruit and veggie servings. Once I added those, I had a lot more energy. Also, if you're still a WW member, you might want to chat with your group leader to make sure you're allowing yourself enough points everyday.

Amy

Just Be

She said a "reasonable" way. That is the opposite of reasonable.
        Not drinking alcohol is unreasonable? Were you joking? I've never drank more than a the occasional tiny sip of any alcohol in my life (only as a young kid to be polite at dinner parties when I still thought I couldn't say no to the adults). I must be the most unreasonable person I know! Big grin
          I suppose you've never heard of the Drinking Man's diet: http://abovebooks.com/drinkingmansdiet.html Big grin Seriously, stopping alchohol consumption alone will not cause a weight loss, particularly if you replace the beer with chocolate shakes from MacDonald's!
          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Just Be

I've never heard of that diet, no. Interesting. Big grin
              Quickest way I have found to drop 5 lbs....STOP DRINKING ALCOHOL!
              Whoa! Now you're just talking crazy...
              JakeKnight

Not drinking alcohol is unreasonable? Were you joking?
                No. I'm deadly serious. As always. Quit being so unreasonable.
                Whoa! Now you're just talking crazy...
                True story: I was flying as part of a P-3 recon crew over Bosnia during the spring of 1994, out of Sigonella Naval Base in Sicily. The senior enlisted guy was Senior Chief White. After every mission we'd head for the NCO club for tasty alcoholic treats, and at least once per night, you'd hear his roughly slurred baritone utter words that stick with me to this day: "Remember men: beer has food value, but food has no beer value." I live by that motto.This other talk is indeed just crazy. Food has no beer value.

Found this on the internet, so it must be true: Is Guinness fattening? How many calories does it contain? Guinness is no more fattening or calorific than any other beer of similar alcoholic strength. The beer has no fat, however it does contain protein, sugar, carbohydrates and alcohol. The alcohol accounts for 65-75% of the calorific content irrespective of the beer in question. Per pint, Draught Guinness has 210 calories; as a reference, one pint of semi-skimmed milk has 260 calories and one pint of orange juice has 220 calories. Draught Guinness actually has fewer calories than most other premium beers and lagers. Can't argue with the facts. Guinness is a vital part of a well-balanced diet.
                  JakeKnight

Found this on the internet, so it must be true: Per pint, Draught Guinness has 210 calories; as a reference, one pint of semi-skimmed milk has 260 calories and one pint of orange juice has 220 calories. Draught Guinness actually has fewer calories than most other premium beers and lagers. Can't argue with the facts. Guinness is a vital part of a well-balanced diet.
                    Yup. You could survive for weeks on beer alone. Can a tofu salad give you a buzz and make you think you're suave with the ladies? I think not. Beer wins. Beer has food value. Food has no beer value. What was this thread about again?

SMART Approach

I really want to drop a fews lbs. before the spring race season starts up. I had a lot of success last year with Weight Watchers, but I'm finding that plan doesn't really meet my needs now that I'm running 20-25 miles per week. It must not provide the nutrition I need because I'm constantly light-headed and feeling weak. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
                      Eat more often to keep metabolism elevated most hours of day Eat protein at each meal to increase thermic effect of food Eat more fiber Avoid or limit simple sugars and juices Drink more "very cold water" Mix in cross training on non running day i.e. more aerobic exercise In some of slower training runs each week mix in 4-5X30-40 sec. faster pick me ups at good clip (but not sprint) or 8-10 X 15 sec. even a bit faster Have a strong mindset and positive attitude of wanting to lose the weight and be committed to it Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

She said a "reasonable" way. "Remember men: beer has food value, but food has no beer value." I love you all! I think I've found a home here at RA. Sniff. Cry Or maybe that's just the liquor talking...
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Stop eating after 7 or 8 at night. Works well for me (if/when I choose to follow my own advise). See the thread on doughnuts for my weakness :P

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Renee the dog

OK, this might not work for you, but I found that when I eased up on my training after my 1/2 marathon last year, and went into maintenance mode, I lost about 5 lbs. I was running 7 out of 14 days, 4-5 mi. length, which are a very pleasant distance for me. I got faster but it felt effortless, so perhaps I was not eating any extra? I did stop drinking for 8 weeks. Sooooooo, while I agree stopping the beer is crazy talk Surprised, perhaps you might just need to take a couple weeks break from it to jump start your weight loss.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Click
                              Dane's school has a "low sugar" policy, which we LOVE. But I chaperoned a field trip and was really shocked to see some of the things his classmates had in their lunches. A LOT of "fruit" snacks (which are really candy in disguise), potato chips, white bread, juice boxes. The juice boxes may be "all natural," but they still pack a lot of calories and not a lot of nutrition. I'm sure Dane thinks we're meanies when we send him carrots and fruit as his sweet treats. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay