2024 New York Marathon (Read 131 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone applying? Anyone running? Anyone with input and advice for an aspiring marathoner regarding where to stay, how to get there, places to avoid, or anything helpful?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm planning on entering.   No tips as I've never done it before.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

I'm planning on entering.   No tips as I've never done it before.

+1

Dave

kcam

No tips from me as I've never run NYC but I just paged through this photo collection and, wow, it really makes me want to train up to run one more marathon and make it NYC.  Tough to get in, though.  Enjoy that run!

Click "online exhibition":

https://raceday.nyc/en/

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I may sign up for it, but more just to lock in my eligibility for 2025 than anything (by deferring). Complete waste of money but I'm really hoping it gets there in 2025!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac *fangirl gif* Can you defer the race? If you don't enter any advice on where to stay would be awesome. I was thinking of staying closer to the start, then riding whatever I can find back home after the race. I expect you to be out there VERY noticeable (bright colors dressed to run would be excellent).

KCAM I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm entering/applying is because it was so hard to get in and I have a time qualifier. Since all those photos are 2019 I'm expecting it to be nothing similar.

darkwave wow. I'm actually surprised you'd never run it.

Perhaps when it's closer there can be one of those "in person" meeting things I hear the young kids do these days.  Maybe all wearing matching jackets to be comparable to the OTHER marathon on the coast known to have weather exist.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

Non-NYRR time qualifier application window opened at 12:00 ET today. What I am seeing on the site right now:

The Application Window And Guaranteed Entry Claim Period For The 2024 TCS New York City Marathon Is Open And We Are Experiencing Higher Than Normal Web Traffic

Expected arrival time on the website: more than an hour

Fun!

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yes you are allowed to defer the race once you are in. Of course, you lose the fee, which NYRR loves.

I would not stay near the start, unless you're looking to do absolutely nothing when you're here, given the start is on Staten Island, which more like another suburb of NJ than NYC (nothing wrong with that, but not what I would imagine one is looking for when spending a few days in NYC).

Frankly, although Times Square is an area that no NYer wants to be caught dead in, it's actually a very good spot for tourists because so many subway lines meet in that area, so you can basically get anywhere in the city. It's also where all the shows are going to be if you are a Broadway fan. Additionally, it's going to be right next to where the busses are to get to the start (the line effectively starts on 42nd and 6th Ave).

Dave - they changed the system this year that it's not first-come, first-serve, so there's no rush to apply. My guess is the majority of people missed that message and know from the past that you need to be on effectively the second the site opens or you weren't getting in.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DavePNW

Dave - they changed the system this year that it's not first-come, first-serve, so there's no rush to apply. My guess is the majority of people missed that message and know from the past that you need to be on effectively the second the site opens or you weren't getting in.

I am well aware of that, they've made it pretty clear on the website for anyone who bothered to look. Yeah I'm sure people missed that, even though they had to go to the website to find out when the window opens. I'm just anxious to get my application in!

Dave

DavePNW

Frankly, although Times Square is an area that no NYer wants to be caught dead in, it's actually a very good spot for tourists because so many subway lines meet in that area, so you can basically get anywhere in the city. It's also where all the shows are going to be if you are a Broadway fan. Additionally, it's going to be right next to where the busses are to get to the start (the line effectively starts on 42nd and 6th Ave).

And that's where all the hotels are anyway.

Dave

DavePNW

Application is submitted!

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It'll be great - you all will have a wonderful time!

I did it in 2015. I stayed at an airbnb hostel type place just north of Central Park (south Harlem). It was fine; public transit got me wherever I wanted to go, no problem. Had to get up pretty early on race day - 4:30. My notes say I had almost 5 hours of prep/travel before the starting howitzers. Did the traditional ferry to Staten Island. Loved the race, and the crowds in Brooklyn particularly were great.  Long walk getting away from the finish line afterward.

Running Problem

Problem Child

words and stuff....

howitzers

I'm sorry...what?!?!?!?

VDOT 53.37 

Here's some advice: wear a shirt.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

DavePNW

Here's some advice: wear a shirt.

That only applies to male participants though.

Dave