2024 New York Marathon (Read 132 times)

That only applies to male participants though.

And pants are optional for all.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I applied as a time qualifier. I'm 10+ minutes under the time, so I should be good. I am planning to stay is near the central library (where the busses run to the start) as possible.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I applied as a time qualifier. I'm 10+ minutes under the time, so I should be good. I am planning to stay is near the central library (where the busses run to the start) as possible.

It's interesting, I have no idea where the cutoff will be. I wouldn't think about it like Boston though. The right number could be 5 minutes, or 15+ minutes. It'll be very interesting to see where it comes out!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DavePNW

It's interesting, I have no idea where the cutoff will be. I wouldn't think about it like Boston though. The right number could be 5 minutes, or 15+ minutes. It'll be very interesting to see where it comes out!

Yeah, no one has the slightest clue. People can never even predict the Boston cutoff, despite having loads of historical data and a (roughly) known number of people who will get in. NYC has no history and extra variables (NYRR qualifiers) that Boston doesn't have. I have a 7 minute cushion on a half, which seems like it should be pretty safe but of course anything can happen. I had 9 minutes on a full, but the half time has a better 10k equivalent, so I used that.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

I hope it's at least 3 minutes so I don't have to worry about traveling.

EDIT: even WITH the half marathon equivalent nonsense they're pulling this year. 9,000 spots for time qualifiers and a time qualifier isn't even good enough to get in.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

I hope it's at least 3 minutes so I don't have to worry about traveling.

Are you hoping NOT to get in?  You know that if you miss the cutoff for time qualifiers, they automatically dump you into the general lottery, so you might still get in.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Are you hoping NOT to get in?  You know that if you miss the cutoff for time qualifiers, they automatically dump you into the general lottery, so you might still get in.

I'm not expecting to get in. Even with the lottery.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

They have a cutoff? My recollection is that I got in with my half qualifier about a second below the requirement.

DavePNW

They have a cutoff? My recollection is that I got in with my half qualifier about a second below the requirement.

Yes, they changed it this year.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

They’re also not using half marathon qualifiers after this year.  I’m assuming this is making MORE people apply because running marathons sucks.

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

They’re also not using half marathon qualifiers after this year.  I’m assuming this is making MORE people apply because running marathons sucks.

Yeah the half qualifying times are generally easier to achieve than the full times, so a lot of people probably see this year as the last chance to get in. Not a clue what cutoffs will be this year, but I’m guessing they’ll be smaller next year.

I joined an NYCM FB group. Someone posted that they had a 5 minute half cushion and 1:30 on a full. They registered using the latter because they thought the full time would be “more meaningful,” and asked whether they did the right thing. This is him now:

Dave

DavePNW

It sounds like some non-NYRR time qualifiers are starting to get acceptance emails. It seems weird - there will still be guaranteed entry applications submitted till 3/21. What's their strategy? I'm guessing they're starting with the fastest, but it would be nice if they'd announce what they're doing!

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah the half qualifying times are generally easier to achieve than the full times, so a lot of people probably see this year as the last chance to get in. Not a clue what cutoffs will be this year, but I’m guessing they’ll be smaller next year.

I joined an NYCM FB group. Someone posted that they had a 5 minute half cushion and 1:30 on a full. They registered using the latter because they thought the full time would be “more meaningful,” and asked whether they did the right thing. This is him now:

He should have used the online calculator they provided previously converting a half time to an equivalent full.

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/race-conversion/

1:21 qualifiier

1:16 buffer

2:38 marathon

vs

2:51:30.

yeah I don't respect the half marathon times being converted to a marathon. Oh well. I'll probably not make it in because so many half marathoners get in. Perhaps they'll remember why they don't run marathons. They're not as easy as a half.

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

yeah I don't respect the half marathon times being converted to a marathon. Oh well. I'll probably not make it in because so many half marathoners get in. Perhaps they'll remember why they don't run marathons. They're not as easy as a half.

Well of course that goes away next year, so people who don't get in will have to find something else to complain about.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well of course that goes away next year, so people who don't get in will have to find something else to complain about.

Perhaps the influx of runners in the charity 8x5k located in New York.

VDOT 53.37