2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 236 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've thought about this and I think may be the best option. I feel a little bad having to presumably buy at least a 6-pack of these and do nothing with 5 of them. Other than maybe the same situation will come up at other races.

You do know you can drink them during the day, right? Perhaps mix them with some type of Scotch or ice so they taste better.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve, sorry about the Covid. That stinks. A down week sounds reasonable, but hopefully it’s a weak case. Obviously you have to see how things go, and it’s good to have a backup plan, but you’ve still got time to get peak-week in for Christchurch.

Oh! And NYCM applications are open!

Yep, got my entry in.

I don't think it was a weak case.  It's going to be basically a full week off then a few building back weeks.

I'm definitely on the way back up now, and maybe a day away from a Shakeout.  No way I'll be able to jump back into marathon training where I left off.  Which means I might be ready to train properly around the time the taper is due to start.  I won't make any decisions until I'm actually running again and have a proper catch up with my coach but I'm feeling pretty negative about racing in 6 weeks.  I know there's no such thing as the perfect marathon build up but with my marathon struggles I feel like I may be asking for trouble if I don't make some adjustments.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

mmerkle

Yep, got my entry in.

I don't think it was a weak case.  It's going to be basically a full week off then a few building back weeks.

I'm definitely on the way back up now, and maybe a day away from a Shakeout.  No way I'll be able to jump back into marathon training where I left off.  Which means I might be ready to train properly around the time the taper is due to start.  I won't make any decisions until I'm actually running again and have a proper catch up with my coach but I'm feeling pretty negative about racing in 6 weeks.  I know there's no such thing as the perfect marathon build up but with my marathon struggles I feel like I may be asking for trouble if I don't make some adjustments.

I don't think you will have lost much fitness. You want to of course be mindful about bringing the volume back up but the fitness should still be there. If you haven't seen this yet, check out this video of Jack Daniels from about 0:50-1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWzC0KA6uo

Also 6 weeks is still enough time to see fitness gains. Keep that chin up man. I still anticipate a big marathon PR from you.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yep, got my entry in.

dammn dude...that sucks. As someone currently struggling mentally with a lot of things having the running going downhill is a tough one. It's a long road to the top and just don't keep comparing yourself to PR shape. I do it all the time, and living there just isn't possible. Just know building back up is more important than being there now. It's like darkwave once told me "be in race shape on race day not at the beginning of training." Do the best you can and work towards the goal. Don't expect it to be there when you want it to be. One day it will turn around for you and it will feel great. That day just might be kinda farther away than you want it to be, and it might take more work than you want to put in right now. Don't let it get to you.

mmerkle how is the IT band? How is that heart rate in cold weather going?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

I had a good day! Ran my half in 1:31:32, took 3rd AG of 50. My training performances have been erratic and lukewarm at best, and I’ve been having a bunch of wonky physical issues, so I really didn’t know what to expect. I did have a good workout of 800s on Tuesday, so I thought there might be hope of a decent race.

Weather turned out to be perfect—about 43F, looked like rain but it held off. The course was also perfect—a flat asphalt trail. I targeted 1:32, which is 7:02/mi avg. That seemed to be a goal where I could pick it up late if I was feeling good, but unlikely to blow up too badly if I wasn’t. I got off to a slow start mainly due to crowding, but that’s not a bad thing anyway—mile 1 at 7:10. From 2-9 I held it steady in the 7:00-7:05 range; a guy pulled up next to me at mile 9 and said “thanks for pacing me!” then pulled ahead. Mile 9 is usually where I see if I have it in me to pick up the pace. I felt like maybe I had a little—next miles were 6:59, 6:57, 6:52. Hit 12 and put the hammer down—brought it home with a 6:32 mile 13. During which I passed the guy who had pulled ahead of me at 9.

I’m very happy with how it went. In hindsight maybe I could’ve been a bit more aggressive, but I think I did the right thing based on how I’ve been feeling. And the first 9 miles really did not feel too easy—during that time I had no idea which direction things would go. In any case, I’m feeling a little better about Eugene in 7 weeks.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Dave - that's great stuff, particularly given the variable lead-up.

I DNFed my race after feeling a bit off since about Wednesday.  After initial negative tests, eventually it turned out it was Covid when I tested after the race. Go figure. The average cold I get has me feeling worse overall. But it does validate the decision to DNF, and particularly to DNF early on - in this case about 1.5km in after I just felt really out of power on an early hill, with a slightly odd tightness in the chest.  Pace was fine, zero issues there, but I doubt I would've lasted 21km or even half that.

Looks like I'm maybe lucky though, as so far it seems a lot more mild than Steve's current experience (and my previous one too). HR has been a little high, but only by a few bpm, and apart from feeling vaguely off, the only other symptoms have been a blocked nose and difficulty sleeping.  I'll just take it day by day and hopefully back into it relatively quickly.  Would be nice to have a good burn at Waterfront in 4 weeks time.  Even if my series is done, at least I can attempt to claim the moral victory of beating the likely series winner head to head three times out of five.

It's a long road to the top and just don't keep comparing yourself to PR shape. I do it all the time, and living there just isn't possible. Just know building back up is more important than being there now.

1000 times this.

I still can't quite fathom how I ran the times that I did back in 2019-21.  Boy am I ever proud of them.  But I am also not that runner any more.  Things have changed, doesn't matter why, and all you can do is focus on being the best runner you can be in the here and now.

I'm still pissed about the DNF and it ruling me out of the series title chase though, I was having a lot of fun with that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mt79

Mark- Tough break.  It’s a bummer for the series.  I’m a fan of competitions where everyone gets to drop worst performance during a season.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.  

Dave- Way to go!  Solid time and strong finish sets you up well for a full!  Looks like great splits, really well paced.  For shorter races, I like to go out fast and hang on.  For longer races, prefer to take it easy first couple miles like you did.  Good luck down the stretch training for Eugene!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Finished the week with 42.4 miles, slightly more than half in my first race since June of last summer.

https://wcrunner2.blogspot.com/2024/03/livingston-oval-6-hour-first-race-of.html

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Quick drive by to say congratulations Flavio ! Sub 3 baby.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

DavePNW

Wow, Flavio really nailed it! Beautiful splits!

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

HE F%^KING DID IT!!  Yes, this has made my morning.  I imagine he said the same thing Shalane Flanagan did when she crossed the line at NY in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo63CWP0YgE

Well done Dave on a really nice race and podium too.

And bad luck Mark on the sickness but well done on making a very wise call.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

dammn dude...that sucks. As someone currently struggling mentally with a lot of things having the running going downhill is a tough one. It's a long road to the top and just don't keep comparing yourself to PR shape. I do it all the time, and living there just isn't possible. Just know building back up is more important than being there now. It's like darkwave once told me "be in race shape on race day not at the beginning of training." Do the best you can and work towards the goal. Don't expect it to be there when you want it to be. One day it will turn around for you and it will feel great. That day just might be kinda farther away than you want it to be, and it might take more work than you want to put in right now. Don't let it get to you.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.  I'm out the other side and can start running again which is definitely a positive.  I'm sure I haven't lost too much, despite Training Peaks telling me my fitness has dropped from 83 to 71.  I'm glad I'm not injured, that REALLY sucks, when you have the desire to run but can't.  In the last week I've had no interest in it.

2024 Races:

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

1:34:48 in the Half yesterday. That is more than a 2-minute PR and I don't think I could have executed a better race. I wasn't looking at my watch and when I got to the 10K time check, I was only about 30 seconds off of my 10K PR. I will write up a more detailed report tomorrow. I'm currently sitting in the hot tub.

I see a few other good results from racing this weekend. Nice work everyone!

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio - I am so excited for you!  This is so awesome!

Great races also to DaveWCRunner, and AndyTn -two PRs and a really good performance coming back from an ablation.

Marky_Mark - very sorry about the DNF but it was obviously the right decision.  Sometimes you start a race and you know it's not going to happen - in that case, the sooner you drop the better.

56 miles running, 1000 yards swimming, and 2 hours pool-running.

M: 1 hour pool-running and 500 yards swimming.
                              T: 7 miles very easy (9:18) in the morning; streaming pilates in evening.
                              W: 7 miles very easy (9:27), upper body weights/core, and then 2 miles very easy (9:39) plus drills and strides.
                              Th: 11 miles, including 8 "Iwo Jima" hills at marathon effort, followed by leg strengthwork.
                              F: 12 miles very easy (9:27) plus drills and strides in the morning; streaming yoga in the afternoon.
                              Sa: 17 miles, including a marathon effort workout of 2x5 miles at marathon effort with one mile float between. Splits were 37:39 (7:32 pace) and 37:15 (7:27 pace) with a mile in 8:16 between the two. Followed with leg strengthwork.
                              Su: 1 hour pool-running and 500 yards swimming.

I focused on recovery from the half-marathon for the first part of this week, followed by hills at marathon effort in supershoes to practice mechanics, and then a marathon effort workout. It looks like I am locking into around 7:30 for a marathon pace on flat ground in good weather (with another 2 weeks of training that may get a bit faster). We'll see how that translates to Boston.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

Great work Andy, congrats on the big PR!

For the record, mine was not my PR, despite what Strava says. My actual PR does not show as a HM as it registered 0.01 miles short on my watch; it was a certified course so it was still legit. However it was downhill, so this one was my non-downhill PR, for those who are concerned about such things.

Dave