Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners. (Read 2781 times)

va

Ahhh, so many gifts, the diversity of opinion, the different perspectives, this is especially refreshing considering all the talk about running slow, with minimal effort, I now feel better now about tomorrow's run, where I am going to try and run harder than usual (and enjoy it!)…does that make me a boob?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Who said anything about running slow with minimal effort? That makes you a boob. Tomorrow's run makes you a runner! Cool

Another Passion

Merry Christmas (I'm politically incorrect like dgb, but hey, I'm a Christian and make no apologies for it. If I were Jewish, I would be celebrating Purim with Trent, but I am not. If I were atheist or agnostic I guess I wouldn't be celebrating anything and not have to greet you in any holiday fashion, but I am not.), Nick and welcome to RA. It's nice to have all you CR immigrants joining the RA family. I look forward to the wealth of knowledge and inspiration that I am certain will be forthcoming with the increased numbers here. I have learned a great deal here, some things have worked for me and, some things have not. I agree with Mikey and Trent, running is relative... relative to the individual doing it and, if one can run hard, run fast, run hills or whatever, more power to them. The best advice I have gotten as a fairly novice runner of 2 - 3 years is to listen to your body, it will more often than not, tell you what it wants to do. Again, welcome Nick and CR running friends! I hope you all find this place as enjoyable and mutually helpful, encouraging, and inspiring as I have found it. Smile

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Sulli42

I'm with Trent, tune in to what your body is telling you, if it says "Run fast" then run fast, if it says "Run slow" then run slow, if it says "Drink beer" well...listen to it.
          celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Nick-- Glad to see your post. I had started to stray (again) into speed until your last thread at CR, and since slowing down again, my distance has gone up with ease. Glad to see you over here! Chris

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

My views: There are times to run really slow- when you first start running, recovery runs, when you move up in mileage, etc. Your pace should move up as your fitness increases. The McMillan running calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm) is a useful tool to determine the appropriate pace for a given workout. You have to constantly push (stress) yourself to get faster, but don't overdo it or you'll get injured. Listen to your body and take what it will give you. Rest when it tells you you need to. When you feel good, get in a quality workout (long run, tempo, intervals, etc) and run hard, then follow it up with a recovery day.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

McMillan is for training. If you are not training, then just run. When you are training, 75% of your runs should be just run. Not according to McMillan, but according you how you feel. If you feel tired at the end of the week, you ran them too hard. McMillan tends to overestimate pace anyway. I'm drinking a beer right now. A Goose Island Honker's Ale. Because that is what my body told me to do after my easy 14 miles tonight. Easy? Yeah, because they were flat and with friends. We ran some hard. And some fast. And some, we just chatted. The beer is good.
                  I agree that the paces from McMillan are sometimes fast, but at least it gives you a range to work with. (I'm usually on the slower end of those ranges. Wink)
                  mikeymike

McMillan is not for training. Running is for training. McMillan is for message boards. If you are training then just run. A lot. Sometimes fast. McMillan tends to underestimate pace anyway. Trent continues to rub his Honkers Ale in my face wherever I go on his internet. This is just cruel. Trent is the bully of the internets.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pace is overrated. Run like you feel. Especially if you feel like running hard. Or fast. Or on hills. Or to the beer store to refill your stash of Honker's ale.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Start easy, then run like you stole something.
                        *snorts* Thanks, Mike! I always enjoy your humor. I consider this a Christmas present... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Hey Nick !! You're probably responsible for literally hundreds of CR Noobs like me ditching Active and heading over here!!! Shocked Nice Job!!!! You now have a Groupie Parade!!! Smile
                          Long May You Run
                            Start easy, then run like you stole something.
                            This comment will pop into my head during all of my runs now...and I'll have to smile!
                            *snorts* Thanks, Mike! I always enjoy your humor.
                            Ditto!

Michelle

Why is it sideways?

This year I will have logged more miles than Jeff, aka JTH, aka The Philosopher. Which is really all that matters...
                              2008 is a new year, Mikey. Here's my "gift." I'm re-gifting words from John Dewey, believer in--creator of?--multi-verses:
                              What is really "in" experience extends much further than what is at any time known. From the standpoint of knowledge, objects must be distinct; their traits must be explicit; the vague and unrevealed is a limitation. Hence whenever the habit of identifying reality with an object of knowledge as such prevails, the obscure and the vague are explained away. It is important for theory to be aware that the distinct and evident are prized and why they are. But it is equally important to note the the twilight and darkness abound
                              All message board theories will fail: the runner's relation to running is not of knower to the object of knowledge. It is instead an encounter with reality: much twilight and darkness abound. No amount of chatter about heart rate or pace, PR's or interval work, cross-training or calories will cover over these obscurities and vaguenesses because they are at the heart of the runner's reality. They are the frontiers we explore--the wild boundaries of feeling--through the simple, daily, endeavor: "left, right, left, right..."

flatland mountaineer

Hey Nick !! You're probably responsible for literally hundreds of CR Noobs like me ditching Active and heading over here!!! Shocked Nice Job!!!! You now have a Groupie Parade!!! Smile
                                count me as another

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III