Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners. (Read 2781 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, this reminds me of a work I recently read: What seems to take place outside ideology (to be precise, in the street), in reality takes place in ideology. What really takes place in ideology seems therefore to take place outside it. That is why those who are in ideology believe themselves by definition to be outside ideology: one of the effects of ideology is the practical denegation of the ideological character of ideology by ideology: ideology never says: 'I am ideological.' It is necessary to be outside ideology, i.e. in scientific knowledge,to be able to say: I am in ideology (a quite exceptional case) or (the general case): I was in ideology.

Why is it sideways?

count me as another.

Big Chicken!

Wow Nick! Some of these people tore you apart. I, for one, believe in the "slow down" theory. I started too fast and was not enjoying running. When I read a post by you, I did what you said. I slowed my pace (over 12mm) and found I could last longer and actually enjoyed myself. To the others, yes speed is sometimes necessary. When training for a race or specific personal speed goals then sure. Fast is good. But Long Run Nick is usually talking to the newbies who go for the gusto and burn out quick. On our last board (CR) we had many newbies following the Couch to 5K program (myself included). We often started out fast because the program starts with short intrvals of running mixed with walking. As we increased our running we would keep our speed and find we couldn't keep up till the end. LRN's "slow down then go slower" philosophy worked wonders for us and now we are working toward becoming lifelong runners like LRN. Another thing he's right about? Have fun with your run. It should be something you look forward to each time you set foot out the door. I am still a newbie myself and learn quite a bit from Nick. My goal is not to be the fastest but one who continues running till I die. THANKS LRN!!
        Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow Nick! Some of these people tore you apart. I, for one, believe in the "slow down" theory. I started too fast and was not enjoying running. When I read a post by you, I did what you said. I slowed my pace (over 12mm) and found I could last longer and actually enjoyed myself. To the others, yes speed is sometimes necessary. When training for a race or specific personal speed goals then sure. Fast is good. But Long Run Nick is usually talking to the newbies who go for the gusto and burn out quick. On our last board (CR) we had many newbies following the Couch to 5K program (myself included). We often started out fast because the program starts with short intrvals of running mixed with walking. As we increased our running we would keep our speed and find we couldn't keep up till the end. LRN's "slow down then go slower" philosophy worked wonders for us and now we are working toward becoming lifelong runners like LRN. Another thing he's right about? Have fun with your run. It should be something you look forward to each time you set foot out the door. I am still a newbie myself and learn quite a bit from Nick. My goal is not to be the fastest but one who continues running till I die. THANKS LRN!!
          Well put, Kris! That was the case with me, also. I got stuck at running 20 minutes non-stop and just couldn't get past that point. My husband said he would run with me to see if he could help. We started out, at my usual snail's pace, and he said, "SLOW DOWN!" I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't. So I slowed down even more, and we ran 53 minutes! Since then, I've gotten faster, but now I don't worry about speed. I, too, want to run for the rest of my life. Thanks for the advice, Nick!
          dougnl

Another one here who heed's nick's advice. I'm still a relative n00b, and Nick's advice has been particularly helpful to me. Might've given up if I hadn't learned to run slower, or that it was ok to run slow. For someone who's never been athletic, the idea that I could run period was a pretty foreign one at the beginning, and trying to blaze at that level is just asking for injury and burnout. I did 3 weeks of physio because of just that. Too much, too soon. For new runners, it shouldn't be about speed.
            Stealth26.2beta

Nice to see ya here Nick!, Glad to keep finding people. Smile
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow Nick! Some of these people tore you apart.
                Where? Did I miss some drama? Damn, I'm always late to the party. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I totally believe in the slowing-down theory. I've been running on and off for the past 14 years or so. When I first started, I had no idea how to run. I had been doing aerobics classes and strength training for years at that point, so I was already fit, cardiovascularly and muscularly. I knew I had to build up my stamina in this new activity, so I gave myself time, with my goal of going as long as I could and as fast as I could for each and every run. If I could run a certain speed, I should run that speed all the time, just because I could. Talk about stoopid.... Anyway, I just restarted running yet again, at the beginning of November, and that was around the same time I stumbled on CR. I read and I read, including LRN's very informative posts. Who knew you had to slow down in order to get better at it? Running outside definitely makes a difference, because then you're not "trapped" into some mental game with the numbers on the treadmill. I decided I would try to match my running to my breathing, and not the other way around. Wow. Running has now become almost as effortless as breathing for me. I'm running 4x/week, and without feeling like I'm killing myself, my average pace is 9:40 min/mile. True, I used to run faster (just because I could), close to a minute faster, but I'd never be able to make any longer distances. My previous longest runs would be 5.5 miles, but they'd be torture, an ordeal from start to finish. Now my 8+ mile runs are almost relaxing. Amazing. Thanks Nick. Glad I finally grew up and learned how to run. E.

Sine Metu

You don't need to slow down every run to "get better" or "enjoy the run." You need to run your recovery and easy runs slow (relatively). Otherwise, like Mikey, etc., said, run like hell. Fast is fun.

A lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders / And we ain't gettin nothing but older / Ain't nothing change but the day we run from / But nobody knows that better than you,huh

Marathon Maniac #3309

I also have benefited greatly from slowing waaaay down. I went from running 5 to 8 miles as hard as I could each run, maybe 2 or 3 days a week, and was hurting and sore all the time. Then injury after injury ruined my running. After slowing down on most runs, I now run 50 to 60 miles a week, and have not had an injury for a long time now, and I can run 6 or 7 days a week now, which is great because I LOVE to run. And I do train to race and add 1 or 2 track or speed sessions every week or 10 days....which that's when I fulfill my need to run really fast Smile Also, remember Nick is speaking mostly to newbies that normally start out too fast, and end up quitting running due to soreness, injuries, and lack of progression in the quality and quanity of runs. I'm another CR refugee looking for a forum home....which this one seems good. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow Nick! Some of these people tore you apart.
                        Okay. Here is the deal. Nobody is tearing anybody apart. While we feel terribly sorry for y'all for getting trashed over at CR and are delighted to welcome you to our home with open arms, coming in en masse as y'all have has been quite overwhelming. We too have an online family and it has been trashed over the past week from being overrun by refuges. And then, in the midst of all that, when somebody who we don't know from Adam comes and posts something like this:
                        Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners.
                        as if he is God's gift to running, then that is a bit over the top. Thank you for your advice, thank you for your ideas Nick, and thank you for extending our family. But you can be more subtle as you offer your advice. Welcome to your new home. Come on in. Sit down. Join us for dinner. See how we interact. Figure out what our traditions are and structures are. If you like them, great. If you don't like them then let's work together to figure out to make the place work for you. Go off and create your own groups, as you have done. Welcome to your new home. But remember, this is RA. Not CR.
                        Scout7

Define "slow". While I agree that running at an easier pace is a key ingredient, that pace can vary based on many factors. Not all workouts need to be done at this pace, just like not all workouts should be races. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a beginner running hard from time to time. If they didn't, they would never do a race, since they are, by definition, intense and fast. The biggest keys for a new runner are consistency, listening to your body, and consistency.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And hills Scout. Don't forget the hills.
                            Scout7

And hills Scout. Don't forget the hills.
                              Those, too. Best way to work on stride mechanics, and strength.
                                YEOW!! I guess I ruffled some feathers. No one commented on my listing over 400 races. I do run "fast" sometimes--most races I put the hammer down. I still race and run as hard as I ever have--just not as fast. My point was directed mostly to Newbies. I have coached 100's of neighborhood class runners as well as coaching the ALL Army Marathon Team back in the early 80's. I do believe in hill workouts/tempo running/intervals/fartlek etc, etc.---my main interest is getting folks to develop a life style that will include running for the rest of one's life. My observations over the last 3 decades has led to my mantra of slowing folks down--especially Newbies. I have seen many "flashes in the pan"--come out of nowhere--improve-- run fast--then suffer from injury/burnout and hang up the running shoes. Too much, too soon, too fast sidelines way too many folks. I believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. So walk/run/sprint/skip/swim/ride/climb--whatever--just keep moving. Nick