Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners. (Read 2781 times)

BeeRunB

Hey Nick! Glad you made it over here. Great forum. Always enjoy your great wisdom. You have a good heart, and I think it's awesome that you want to share the things you've discovered after running so long and so far, and staying healthy (which is different than being fit). I've been running almost 5 years now, but still have a newbie mind, and hopefully always will. Thanks for feeding it. Keep going! --Jimmy
    BeeRunB

P.S. There is a good Maffetone/LHR training group here: CLICK Come on by, Nick. Lots of CR refugees setting up their tents and getting to it. --Jimmy
        I'm new to this running thing (3 months now)...used to think "why would anyone RUN"...now I know. I'm slow (for now) but I can feel myself getting faster and staying out longer and I love it. I started with a knee injury (old) but got orthotics and listen to my body and have never felt better (could stand to loose a few lbs, but I'm sure that will come.) I love any advice that will improve my running so thank you all. I think if I can't wait to run again it was a good one Smile
          Where? Did I miss some drama? Damn, I'm always late to the party. Tongue
          I skimmed over it and responded and then later read through it word for word - Looks like there may be some drama, not too sure though (takes me a while to catch on sometimes). Roll eyes
          And hills Scout. Don't forget the hills.
          *Cringe*

Michelle

I believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. So walk/run/sprint/skip/swim/ride/climb--whatever--just keep moving. Nick
            Perfect! Smile

Michelle

You'll ruin your knees!

YEOW!! I guess I ruffled some feathers. No one commented on my listing over 400 races. I do run "fast" sometimes--most races I put the hammer down. I still race and run as hard as I ever have--just not as fast. My point was directed mostly to Newbies. I have coached 100's of neighborhood class runners as well as coaching the ALL Army Marathon Team back in the early 80's. I do believe in hill workouts/tempo running/intervals/fartlek etc, etc.---my main interest is getting folks to develop a life style that will include running for the rest of one's life. My observations over the last 3 decades has led to my mantra of slowing folks down--especially Newbies. I have seen many "flashes in the pan"--come out of nowhere--improve-- run fast--then suffer from injury/burnout and hang up the running shoes. Too much, too soon, too fast sidelines way too many folks. I believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. So walk/run/sprint/skip/swim/ride/climb--whatever--just keep moving. Nick
              Nick, first of all...welcome. I have held off in posting anything before now, but yes, my feathers were ruffled...and you know what? That's totally OK! I think your perspective on running is pretty much on the mark and that many newcomers to the sport burn themselves out trying to run fast and far before their bodies have adjusted to a running lifestyle. So, just to set the record straight, there is nothing in WHAT you're saying that gives reason to be "ruffled". That said, I'll just point out that you entered these boards with a statement (see "Subject") that put those of us who don't like koolaid on our collective heels, so to speak. I think by now, many of the CR refugees have figured out this site is freakin' AWESOME! All of the "heart and soul" work Eric has put into it provides the structure, but as you guys felt about the CR site, the people provide the site's personality. One of the things I love about this site is how the people come into the forums with all sorts of different experiences and find they can openly offer them. BUT, a healthy process of challenging assumptions, calling each other on "since I do this with some success, it should work for everyone else" posts. This healthy exchange is what brings me (and others, I believe) back day after day for more than just a place to log miles. I suspect that is why you have developed such a following...but please understand that you are new here and the context of your comments may not be taken as you intended. These forums have been blissfully free of topics where individuals get flamed for putting their ideas out there. Many of us who have been around for a while are quite comfortable and maybe that is a bad thing, we're excited for the growth of this site and are very proud of the product Eric makes available free to all. Please don't hesitate to post early and often! Just know that we are quite comfortable challenging, questioning, poking fun (good natured, of course)...sometimes not always in the right places/at the right times. So, kick back and make yourself comfortable, but realize that boobs (and even some noob boobs) are all around. Oh, and feel free to make your log and profile public for those who like to stalk...that goes a long way. By the way, you acknowledged that you might have ruffled feathers, but followed that with simply pressing your point that your credentials speak for themselves. My apologies for not recognizing that, but again, your opening volley set the tone...self-appointed experts tend to draw more fire...just sayin' Sorry for rambling, but again, welcome all! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

monikam

Good to see you here Nick! As usual awesome advice... thank you! Big grin
                Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
                  Okay. Here is the deal. Nobody is tearing anybody apart. While we feel terribly sorry for y'all for getting trashed over at CR and are delighted to welcome you to our home with open arms, coming in en masse as y'all have has been quite overwhelming. We too have an online family and it has been trashed over the past week from being overrun by refuges. And then, in the midst of all that, when somebody who we don't know from Adam comes and posts something like this: as if he is God's gift to running, then that is a bit over the top. Thank you for your advice, thank you for your ideas Nick, and thank you for extending our family. But you can be more subtle as you offer your advice. ***quote ends here -- sorry I'm still learning Count me in as a CR refugee who was appalled by LRN's subject line. Although it is good advice, the assumption was "you folks need my superior advice." Ouch. Hello, refugees -- we are overwhelming their community! Walk softly, get to know people... Cranky but Polite Econo

Why is it sideways?

Welcome to your new home. Come on in. Sit down. Join us for dinner.
                    Thought I'd make a 'dinner table' thread in light of Econo's, Lynn's and Trent's comments. Welcome, folks. Econo--to end the quote, try the tag
                      I'm from CR as well, and have never liked the "I'm a gift to you" type subject lines and posts. If anything, it makes me want to completely ignore the post and advice in it completely. I respect your accomplishments and the fact that that you're trying to help people- especially newbies, but I agree that your delivery could be better.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My observations over the last 3 decades has led to my mantra of slowing folks down--especially Newbies.
                        Please share your running log, which is an informative as words. And a profile.
                        "flashes in the pan"
                        There will always be faddists who come in, run for the fad, complete some arbitrary goal, and then move on or move back.
                        I believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. So walk/run/sprint/skip/swim/ride/climb--whatever--just keep moving. Nick
                        Amen, brother, amen. Welcome to the swamp!

You'll ruin your knees!

Thought I'd make a 'dinner table' thread in light of Econo's, Lynn's and Trent's comments. Welcome, folks. Econo--to end the quote, try the tag
                          What's the dress code? My wife's gonna ask. Toga's and sandals again?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I'm from CR as well, and have never liked the "I'm a gift to you" type subject lines and posts. If anything, it makes me want to completely ignore the post and advice in it completely. I respect your accomplishments and the fact that that you're trying to help people- especially newbies, but I agree that your delivery could be better.
                              Big grin Couldn't agree more. I've read Nick for a while and have always been left with two thoughts....one, he offers great advice to the complete beginner and second, the advice is good if you simply wish to be a JOGGER with no competitive goals other than to just lace them up and go for that jog. I don't mean that in a condescending way! There are a lot of people who need encouragement and need to hear that it's ok to run a 14 minute mile when just starting out or getting injured from running too fast too soon. I on the other hand have always loved the feel of wind blowing through my hair, which only happens when I put the pedal down. And yes, I still have hair at 44 Big grin I am competitive with myself, believing that next week should be better than the last, not necessarily with regard to time but with effort. I have never gotten any reward from running slow, it just isn't fun FOR ME. Have I ever gotten an injury, sure have, but they were always short lived. I felt that I learned a lesson each time but I would never trade them in for lower performance. There is a time for running more slowly, recovery runs, but even during those I don't break out the heart rate monitor and get upset if my HR goes above 130. Keep giving advice Nick, the beginners need to heed your advice given your longevity. I too like to listen in, even if I believe it is not for me.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Big grin Couldn't agree more. I've read Nick for a while and have always been left with two thoughts....one, he offers great advice to the complete beginner and second, the advice is good if you simply wish to be a JOGGER with no competitive goals other than to just lace them up and go for that jog. I don't mean that in a condescending way! There are a lot of people who need encouragement and need to hear that it's ok to run a 14 minute mile when just starting out or getting injured from running too fast too soon. I on the other hand have always loved the feel of wind blowing through my hair, which only happens when I put the pedal down. And yes, I still have hair at 44 Big grin I am competitive with myself, believing that next week should be better than the last, not necessarily with regard to time but with effort. I have never gotten any reward from running slow, it just isn't fun FOR ME. Have I ever gotten an injury, sure have, but they were always short lived. I felt that I learned a lesson each time but I would never trade them in for lower performance. There is a time for running more slowly, recovery runs, but even during those I don't break out the heart rate monitor and get upset if my HR goes above 130. Keep giving advice Nick, the beginners need to heed your advice given your longevity. I too like to listen in, even if I believe it is not for me.
                                I feel that Nick's advice IS appropriate on this board - it is "Running 101," after all. I'm not sure why advanced runners would even be looking at this board. We newbies need a place to get encouragement and advice aimed at us, not the six minute-per-mile runners. Just my two cents!