Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners. (Read 2781 times)

I feel that Nick's advice IS appropriate on this board - it is "Running 101," after all. I'm not sure why advanced runners would even be looking at this board. We newbies need a place to get encouragement and advice aimed at us, not the six minute-per-mile runners. Just my two cents!
    Yeah, but the title of the thread is "Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners."
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The advice is good. The style is wrong. A thread titled "Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies...", which according to rules of grammar should be read as "Long Run Nick IS a Gift to Newbies..." comes across as egotistical and inappropriate from somebody who just burst through the front door. Lurk before you leap. Tell us who you are. Share your log. Don't just come in with your regal robes and a glint on your teeth and announce, "I am here to save you". MTA: yeah, and what RT said too.

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, but the title of the thread is "Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies--and even veteran runners."
        Right, and the description of the forum is "come here to get advice from experienced runners" not "bestow unasked for wisdom on a community you've barely even met." The 2nd begs for ridicule. The first is a good thing.
        BeeRunB

Don't look a gift GU in the the tear-off pouch. Nick is very experienced and was just sharing. He didn't mean to insult you or any other person who considers themselves veteran runners. He's been around long enough to know not to do that.. He meant well. And I welcome him and his advice. Letting it go is not a bad choice. There's nothing to be won here. Nick doesn't deserve to be made to look bad. Nor do you, or anyone here.
            I feel that Nick's advice IS appropriate on this board - it is "Running 101," after all. I'm not sure why advanced runners would even be looking at this board. We newbies need a place to get encouragement and advice aimed at us, not the six minute-per-mile runners. Just my two cents!
            If you read my post, that is what I said. You need encouragement and advice and he has been great for that. By the way, the forum suggests that experienced runners come in to offer advice. I don't know what you mean to suggest by "six minute milers" looking here? I would think that SOME beginner runners would like advice from more accomplished runners, regardless of their times.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

If you read my post, that is what I said. You need encouragement and advice and he has been great for that. By the way, the forum suggests that experienced runners come in to offer advice. I don't know what you mean to suggest by "six minute milers" looking here? I would think that SOME beginner runners would like advice from more accomplished runners, regardless of their times.
              I wasn't disagreeing with your post. And it's great for experienced runners to give advice here - they just don't have to TAKE the advice. If they're experienced, they can filter out the info that doesn't work for them. Smile
              mikeymike

I feel that Nick's advice IS appropriate on this board - it is "Running 101," after all. I'm not sure why advanced runners would even be looking at this board.
                I for one have learned at least as much from interacting with, giving and/or taking advice from less experienced and even "newbie" runners as I have from the speed freaks like Jeff. That's how this place works. It's been said already and I don't want to beat a dead horse but it was really the subject/tone that irked some of us. Kinda preachy from someone who'd been here for 5 minutes, that's all. Just didn't feel RA-ish. And as one of the ringleaders of the mischief I should point out that it was all in fun. We make fun of each other here, that's how we roll. Long Run Nick your experience is very welcome--please keep it coming. Jeff the Hippie has already convened a singalong around the campfire, so it seems we're all working it out. Good stuff.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mikey, some advice: you are a boob. Wait, that is not advice. That is a fact. Trying again. Mikey, go drink some Honker's ale.
                  mikeymike

Mikey, go drink some Honker's ale.
                    See now that's just mean. It seems my shipment from Tennessee got stuck in the snow.

Runners run

I, for one, am grateful for LRN. Thanks much for your posts. I've been running almost three years - so I still consider myself a newbie. And I look forward to reading Nick's posts - I'm so glad I've found him again here in RunningAhead!!! Don't know what his voice actually sounds like, but I hear it in my head when I'm running. So Nick, please, please, please keep those posts coming. Because of you I haven't hurt myself or given up running And if his post title puts you off, here's a thought.... don't read it! Kind of like TV - if it is bothersome, annoying, or offensive, just change the channel folks. Just my $0.02.
                        The advice is good. The style is wrong. A thread titled "Long Run Nick: A Gift to Newbies...", which according to rules of grammar should be read as "Long Run Nick IS a Gift to Newbies..." comes across as egotistical and inappropriate from somebody who just burst through the front door. Lurk before you leap. Tell us who you are. Share your log. Don't just come in with your regal robes and a glint on your teeth and announce, "I am here to save you". MTA: yeah, and what RT said too.
                        If you had read LRN's posts on CR, egotistical would be the last word you'd use to describe him. I don't know him personally, but I'm sure he's probably one of the nicer guys you could ever meet.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you had read LRN's posts on CR, egotistical would be the last word you'd use to describe him.
                          Perhaps, and I suspect you are right. But when you introduce yourself to a new community that is already on edge due to the flood of new folks that they had welcomed, and then do so with a title that reads as "I AM A GIFT", it sends exactly the opposite message. I suspect from what everybody has said that LRN is a good and caring fellow, and that he is probably in shock at the hubbub that his post caused. But then again, we are boobs. And ny2ut, since the title of the thread was what offended so many, skipping the thread's contents hardly matters. As it turns out, the contents were fine. It was the tone that was not.
                            "since the title of the thread was what offended so many, skipping the thread's contents hardly matters. As it turns out, the contents were fine. It was the tone that was not" Seems we're make a mountain out of a mole hill. Honestly if one is looking to be offended by the title line of a post from a genuine gentleman offering words of wisdom then it doesn't take much to offend that individual. Just breath deeply people. It's not that bad. Here have some eggnog and have a seat by the fire. Life is good.

Big Chicken!

As long-time readers of LRN, we knew how to look at the thread title and NOT see LRN is a gift to us but he was giving his words as a gift. That said, we forgot we have invaded YOUR space and didn't try to assimilate. We just tried to take over and make ourselves at home like the annoying brother who left his wife, came to your house "for a few days," slurps, farts at the dinner table and leaves the toilet seat up. Nick apologized, I apologize and I am sure the other CR immigrants do as well. We'll try harder to not make a mess. As for the comment about 6mm-ers not needing to be here, what a bunch of BS! I am slooooow but improving. I am a newbie who wants every level of runner to weigh in. I learn from those slower than me (all 7 of you) and the faster runners. I don't care to BQ but running a 15K at 10mm by May is a goal of mine. I want the faster runners to give me advice. Sometimes I need LRN's reminders to take it easy, not try to do too much to fast (and that is really all he is saying); sometimes I need the kick in the a$$. Can't we all just get along?? Smile
                              Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Oh Mighty Wing

Long Run Nick - you are great!! I'm happy to see some posts from you. Smile holy cow I just read LRN's initial message written in true LRN style and posted a love note, when I went back and read the messages I saw all this animosity. RunningAhead users please do not misunderstand us CoolRunning Refugees. Nick is a beacon in our former community so it is nice for me to see that he put his name in the title, so easy to find. We are not trying to take over, but we are trying to find a home. Hopefully some of us will find it here. And hopefully some of you negative nancy's (or ned's) can accept that many of us are having a hard time with all this change and are trying to hard to find a home. Hopefully you will also learn to embrace LRN's posts about slowing down because I know that on a run where i know I am running way to fast I think about LRN's posts, take a deep breath, and slow down. So shine on LRN, shine on!!