Dogs! (and how we LOVE them) (Read 1177 times)

I must respectfully disagree, the dog will accept you as pack leader, it does take about 2 weeks, but once it realizes that your energy is the Alpha energy all , and I mean all dogs will be happy. There are actualy very few dogs that want to be the pack leader, they are more than happy to follow, it's an easier life. You job is to enforce the fact, calmly, that what you tell the dog is just how it's going to be, no arguement, period! You don't have to hit, scold or any nasty stuff, you just have to project the right energy. I would say you mistake was that you started out with a breed that you could not control, which many people do, because they are a symbol of look at me I can control this ferocious beast! The reason that youe Rottie bit you is that you were not pack leader! A pack leader tells the pack where to sleep, how long, when and what and how much they can eat, pretty much has the last say in anything...it's all about the right energy...it's how nature works, and has worked well for a LOT of years!
    I agree with some of your alpha energy comments. It is pretty basic how to be the alpha figure in your dogs life. The problem comes in when there isn't a higher ranking official in that dogs life present. Then the alpha tendancies come out. So if you have an aggresive dog, it is the owners responsibility to curtail the dogs activities when the alpha owner is not present.
    Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Renee the dog

Here's one for ya... Two weeks ago my avatar and I were running -- and we went to the beach 'cause she hadn't gone to the bathroom yet, and I didn't want her on the boardwalk. Guy with 3 dogs (2 Germans and an Austrian Shepherd, I think) had them off-leash. First dog comes running up and attacks my dog. Bites her on the rear end! Second one came up barking. I ran screaming towards both of the first two dogs, and then the owner, who did have voice command over the dog, finally got them off. No skin was broken or anything, so we went up on the boardwalk and finished our run. I spoke to my dog and told her, "Cut back once by me so I can take a shot at the dog, then TAKE OFF. No one can outrun you!" So I feel like we have a plan now. Wink Two days later, we ran past these old folks with dogs who we see often, and find out they witnessed the whole thing. They were all for me calling the cops. I said, "Maybe next time." Got up on the boardwalk with my dogs, and guess who's down on the beach? Yep, same 3 dogs + owner. Same dog who bit my dog starts tracking us and heading for the stairs to come up on us. Guy is heading for the water with his dogs behind him...I just yelled, "Hey -- can you keep your dogs down there?" He yelled at his dogs and they turned around and went with him. That was that. I think that guy needs coffee to react a bit faster if his dogs are off-leash. I think I'll buy him a couple of coffee coupons and give them to him next time I see him. Other than that, no encounters that were bad. We have a whole lot of dogs who have to live in relatively close quarters here as our "shore town" is kind of city-like. And, the dogs have to deal with the tourist dogs too. Seems to help socialize them. I love dogs! We love seeing who we'll see out on our runs!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Just keep running...

I may have posted this anecdote on another forum. I can't remember for certain. A few months ago I ran by a man walking his dog, and the dog started howling when he saw me. The guy tried to get her to stop, but couldn't. He apologized as I ran by, but I told him now worries, and that I really appreciated the dog cheering me on. As I continued running, I heard him joining the dog in howling for me. Now, whenever I run by a yard with dogs barking at me, I know that it's because they are cheering me on, and it helps me get in a good workout.
        Yes! Nice story, Who knows, I think the dog knew what he was doing!
        pandajenn19

I honestly don't know what I would do without my dogs. I adore them. The beagle runs as much as she can with me, but I don't exercise her enough so she is a bit out of shape, and she *really* hates running in the summer. My mixed, who is shown a bit in my profile pic, is a great running buddy. I don't run pre-dawn without her, although I don't take her often enough, either. If I could cram 3 dogs into my little house, I'd do it in an instant. Smile The only time I've ever been really worried about a dog on a run was when I was on a country road with both of my dogs and the three of us were rushed by two unleashed and unsupervised dobermans. I wasn't worried for myself, but I was concerned about my pups. But I was nervous for no reason!

Oh Mighty Wing

Yeah I love Tater!!! and all dogs actually! Course maybe it's because i was raised in this environment: http://www.gpscinc.com/ either way I love dogs! They are a great joy and bring such happiness to my life!

Life time runner wannabe

I actually fear a dog following me and getting lost or hit by a car more than I fear attack. I'd feel really bad if I indirectly caused harm to someone's pet--even if it's ultimately their fault for not properly restraining their dog safely in the yard.
              Awww, you guys have made me miss my running buddy so much. My Dobie died one year ago Friday, and I miss her every time I go out. Still not ready for a new dog. I have had the kinds of experiences Zoom Zoom describes in my outings without Dobe in the past year. I run in a rural area--far flung houses and small ranches. Twice now, I have glanced down to see that a dog has appeared out of nowhere and is thrilled just to run along beside me. I have no idea where they live; there are no tags. They won't "go home!" No one I encounter knows them or where they live. There are busy roads and they are trotting all over the place unaware of the road danger. So both times, they have ended up at my house, miles from where they showed up, until I could get them in my car and over to the animal shelter. I felt responsible for their safety. They were both collected by their owners later, but it sure has a way of stopping your run. One of them was so young and naive I had to use the chest strap of my HRM as an improvised leash!
                Nothing beats a friendly dog. While walking to the start of my marathon, I passed a greyhound statue and rubbed it for good luck. This resulted in two stops on the course to meet greys, and might also have been responsible for the third stop to meet a whippet but I can't be sure of that one. I usually think of my grey as a furry comedian, by inducing laughter on a regular basis he's saved me about a million bucks in therapy bills.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Gig

Sadly, I have to reveal my true shame here. My girl Raven is a sprinter. I've never been able to get her to do more than a mile. Even when I can get her to cooperate with my pace, she expends an extraordinary amount of energy not sprinting. She's just not a distance runner, and she never will be. Cry But I still love her. Big grin
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww, you guys have made me miss my running buddy so much. My Dobie died one year ago Friday, and I miss her every time I go out. Still not ready for a new dog.
                    I'm so sorry to hear that...nothing really prepares anyone for the loss of a pet. When we lost our first kitty a couple of Summers ago we were absolute wrecks...I had no clue that I would react so strongly. Now I dread the deaths of our living kitties--I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with my Thor dying (he's my favorite).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Top 'O the World!

Just bumping this back up...... & adding that I run w/dogs - almost always Smile because I enjoy it & they need the excercise too & for some reason, I must have 4 dogs Clowning around + my DS#1's dog (3 yr old Labrador) is often @ my house too.....but my primary running partner is my avatar, Mairead ~ my 15 mo old Scottish Labraneese! (Sc Deerhound + Labrador + Great Pyranese).....I mostly have had good/neutral encounters w/other dogs but, have had a couple of not-so-great encounters too..... Larakin: That's what we look like too, except I'm female & my partner is black! I've gotten several "looks" from my hands-free leash......
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        I wish we could have a dog (or 4). My husband and youngest son are both allergic. We are even very limited to where we can go since everyone we know has pets. Horses and cats are the biggest threats but dogs are the third.

Michelle

I still miss my Golden to death, she died two years ago next month. It's hard enough to get over that I wonder if I really have it in me to go through it again! But I miss having a dog in the house, and I would like a running companion...
                          invisible

I still miss my Golden to death, she died two years ago next month. It's hard enough to get over that I wonder if I really have it in me to go through it again! But I miss having a dog in the house, and I would like a running companion...
                            Give a doggy a home! Smile Everything comes to an end.
                            90 percent of the game is not giving up.

jfa

We had a Golden Retreiver that we got from the pound and lived for 16 yrs! I agree that temperment wise,nothing is nicer and more even keeled than a Golden. Our new Buddy is an 3 yo Australian Shep mix and man can he run.Only now that I'm running once a week more than 16 miles do I leave him home on that long run..I just don't have the heart to ditch him,we have alot of miles together.He can keep going,it's just SOO hard for me to restart after running 15miles or so.Yesterday I brought him the first 7miles,then dropped him home and ran 11 more.DW side tracked him while I went back out and he barely noticed.We'll be up and out early tomorrow again!

JakeKnight

Everything comes to an end.
                                Uh, yeah. That'll convince her.
                                Our new Buddy is an 3 yo Australian Shep mix and man can he run.
                                When you get a chance, post a picture, please. I might know a distant relative of your Buddy. I wanna see.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------