Ultra Marathon (100) Advice (Read 121 times)

Run Wild

I can't and probably could not. Mentally, or physically.

However two of the people responding here to the OP's question have extensive ultra running experience, and I find it unlikely their advice will be "awful", as you specifically noted "Everyone is going to have a ton of advice.  Most of it will be awful..."

Slow your role there milktruck.  I never actually called out anyone specifically here.  I personally know DoppleBock.  And I agree with WrigleyGirl.  I'm just saying to be careful who you take advice from.  Because, well, most folks give terrible advice...  Smile

Oooh!

here's a thread I can follow for multiple reasons (Go Ducks)(OTC masters)(ultra lust)(bad advices)

here's my horrible inexperienced advice: 100 miles isn't really that daunting if all you want to do is finish. Even with a 24 hour limit. It may even be possible for a 20 mpw runner. But it won't be fun.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

T Hound

Slower but happier

Slow your role there milktruck.  I never actually called out anyone specifically here.  I personally know DoppleBock.  And I agree with WrigleyGirl.  I'm just saying to be careful who you take advice from.  Because, well, most folks give terrible advice...  Smile

Serious question:  So whats the most common terrible advice?

besides imho need to do long  back to back long runs to train for ultra ( high injury risk, prolong recovery interfereing with next weeks workout, no evidence of beneficial training effect on strength or endurance - that im aware of)

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Kalsarikännit

Serious question:  So whats the most common poor advice?

besides imho need to do extensive back to back long runs. Imho

For the record, I want to be clear that my advice wasn't not to do back-to-backs, but not to make that the entire focus of a training plan.  I have mentioned it here before, but I think a tempo-long run combo is pretty legit.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

berylrunner

Rick

Great goal, the journey is fun.  Please join us in the Ultra Runners group.

Recommendations and Advice -

Walk, walk fast, walk early - walk often, power hike (same thing, sounds better in race reports).

Read and study reports - the elite reports don't apply to most of us, but still good for reading.  Going to plug my friend and mentor, Fast Cory.

Go to as many races as you can to work, volunteer, crew, pace.  Observe what is going on.  I learned more from this than any training or forum advice.

Hills, hills, hills - even if your race is pancake flat, hills will be a benefit.  Become a good downhill runner.  That is where you make up the time from all of that walking.

Patience - there will be setbacks in your training and race.  Patience will get you through the rough patches.

Stubbornness and a positive mental attitude.  Can come across as arrogance to others, but it will get you to the finish line.

Good tips from the others.  There is no awful advice.  It wouldn't be given if it didn't work for that person.  The key is to try it and decide if it will work for you.  It is all about experimentation and finding out what works.  Even when you think you have it figured out, something will pop up.  That is where problem solving and adaptation comes in handy.  That is what makes this game so fun.

As for dangerous advice, we are all adults and can make our own decisions.  This is coming from an ex-barefoot idiot.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

DoppleBock

There is a lot of ways to skin a cat - I would say WG / dpcrouse and myself all did it the same way ... we ran a lot.  We ran a lot on tired legs.

Both dpcrouse & WG have been successful at 100 mile trail races.  WG and myself have done a lot of 24 hour races.

The OP has not replied ... so the I am currently running 19 miles a week and want to run 100 miler very well could be a poke.

My question still stands to the original poster ... What kind of 100 mile race?  Is it just to hit 100 miles one and be done with it.   Do you care road, easy trail, mountain.

My 1st 100 - My goal was to hit 100 miles < 24 hours in the easiest venue possible.  That meant a 24 hour race.

If you goal is to do the San Diego 100 or angeles Crest 100 that will mean different training than the San Francisco 1 day.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Run Wild

Serious question:  So whats the most common terrible advice?

besides imho need to do long  back to back long runs to train for ultra ( high injury risk, prolong recovery interfereing with next weeks workout, no evidence of beneficial training effect on strength or endurance - that im aware of)

Terrible advice that I've heard the most is around fueling and nutrition.  And, you see the effects at every ultra.  Folks puking their brains out after eating too much.  Food and fueling is a very personal thing and what works for you can be vastly different that what works for someone else.  It's important to dial this in during your training.

Dangerous advice, well thankfully the barefoot thing is pretty much dead.  Most of those guys are no longer running 100s.  you'll still see some at shorter races though.  Another beauty is raw water.  This is outright dangerous.  Don't drink untreated trail water, even if it's flowing from a pristine alpine stream.   9 times out of 10 (or even 999 times out of 1000) you'll be fine.  But you don't want the "explosive diarrhea" or dehydration that comes from the bugs you will eventually expose yourself to.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Agree totally re nutrition.  Nausea/vomiting is most common reason for dnf.  In marathon tribworld often hear X calories/carbs per hour is needed.  The other thing is if you vommit/nausea, its no reason to pull the trigger and DNF.  Let you ego take a hit on the finish time, sit down if u need to and and cool off.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Now to finish a 100 miler it is about

*  Pacing

*  Hydration, nutrition & electrolyte management

*  Problem solving - You will have multiple issues to overcome that could DNF you

Being absolutely stubborn

This.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

paul2432

I'm enjoying this thread as well, particularly WesternGirl's post.

I'm also training for Western States this summer.  I'm following Koop's book.  In general:

• VO2 max early, then tempo, then steady state.
                      • Run similar terrain to the race
                      • Do a few tune-up races along the way
                      • Practice nutrition and hydration

I also like the Training for Western States on the Western States web-site.  Lot's of good info there.

My one piece of advice that I've learned in recent tough 100K (SOB) - understand pacing.  Even going easy, it's very possible to still go too hard and beat yourself up early in the race, especially on the uphills.  It's one thing to intellectually know that going too fast can hurt you, and quite another to fully comprehend it to the level that early in the race you slow or walk even though you are feeling awesome and the pace is so easy it feels absurd to be going that slow.

One final piece of advice.  You need to do the training to do the training.  Maybe even do the training to do the training to do the training.  In other words you need to already be fairly well trained to start training for a 100.

Never, EVER, discount running a 5k or those who do.  Those people are brave.

Is this foreshadowing?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Prince of Fatness

I'm enjoying this thread as well, particularly WesternGirl's post.

Careful dude, those Cubbies fans can get nasty.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

This year I am pacing my sister at Western States - But 1st I will be at the start, slapping dpcrouse in the ass, moving him down the trail.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Terrible advice that I've heard the most is around fueling and nutrition.  And, you see the effects at every ultra.  Folks puking their brains out after eating too much.  Food and fueling is a very personal thing and what works for you can be vastly different that what works for someone else.  It's important to dial this in during your training.

Dangerous advice, well thankfully the barefoot thing is pretty much dead.  Most of those guys are no longer running 100s.  you'll still see some at shorter races though.  Another beauty is raw water.  This is outright dangerous.  Don't drink untreated trail water, even if it's flowing from a pristine alpine stream.   9 times out of 10 (or even 999 times out of 1000) you'll be fine.  But you don't want the "explosive diarrhea" or dehydration that comes from the bugs you will eventually expose yourself to.

I added the emphasis above to point out that the second sentence seems to negate the first.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Run Wild

This year I am pacing my sister at Western States - But 1st I will be at the start, slapping dpcrouse in the ass, moving him down the trail.

It's going to be a fun time!  I'm training my ass off right now.  I wonder if a sub 24 would even be possible.  Probs not right now.  If this were 2015, for sure.

Why don't I see you at the Y anymore?  You're training for Ice Age, right?  I'll be there crewing