no Carbs at night debate (Read 4554 times)

Most eating between dinner time and bed time is snacking on junk food. Don't eat as much junk food and you'll lose weight faster. Yeah that makes sense.
      " And if you like simple sayings that have powerful meaning when it comes to eating right, this one addresses the original question: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper."
      That makes sense, I like that Im definitely a carb lover! Thats why I find it so hard dont want to believe they would be bad a certain time of day. Im sure like some of you said there is some truth to it. Maybe some carbs after my work out and no more for the rest of the night. Im pretty good about not eating a lot at night anyways.

Go Pre!

Apples do this to me! RE: high sugar in carrots? - seriously, folks - how many people do you think are overweight because they eat carrots? Sorry, Daddyo, it's nothing personal, just a pet peeve of mine. Wink
        glad to satiate your pet peeves.

I was at a short nutrition seminar on Thursday night where they talked about this very thing. The panelists basically said that your body doesn't know the difference so it generally doesn't matter when you eat what, just that you are eating it all in moderation.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

I was at a short nutrition seminar on Thursday night where they talked about this very thing. The panelists basically said that your body doesn't know the difference so it generally doesn't matter when you eat what, just that you are eating it all in moderation.
            Thank you.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              http://greatbodyat50.blogspot.com/2006/01/stimulating-bodys-production-of-human.html
              We all know the signs of aging---loose, flaccid skin, increasing girth, loss of muscle tone and lean body mass, wrinkles, fatigue, memory loss, joint stiffness. The list goes on. We age because our body’s natural production of Human Growth Hormone decreases with age; this hormone is responsible for the development of lean body mass, bone density and an efficient metabolism that diminishes the body’s fat-storing capacity. Age is not the factor that inhibits the body’s release of Human Growth Hormone. It’s the physiological changes that accompany aging that are responsible for it—changes such as weight gain, obesity, high sugar levels and high levels of free fatty acids in the blood. All these factors, however, are to a large extent, within our control through nutrition and exercise—which means that there is a lot we can do now ( whether you are 30 or 50) to stimulate the body’s release of Human Growth Hormone. What factors naturally stimulate the body’s release of Human Growth Hormone? Protein Sleep Exercise Simple. Isn’t it? [...] So what is the best form of exercise? A combination of both aerobic and anaerobic workouts. This means 30 minutes of brisk walking, running to get your heart rate up PLUS 15 minutes of weight training, resistance training, intervals to get your muscles to the point of depletion so necessary for the stimulation of Human Growth Hormone. Such a program done consistently 4-5 times a week will definitely bring results.

The Greatest of All Time

To add to Dr. Hefty's post, HGH does pretty much everything it states in that link. And we do produce less of it as we age, just as males produce less testosterone and females less estrogen. However, reduced levels of HGH is not the sole causative factor in aging. But it is a very interesting hormone. Despite what the media has reported or written it is not a hormone to use to build large amounts of muscle. HGH is not an anabolic steroid. Saying HGH is like steroids is patently false. In fact it's like saying a shoe is like a dolphin. What HGH will do is help reduce body fat and accelerate some connective tissue repair, but it's not a proven muscle builder like anabolic steroids. As written, HGH is typically released during sleep. As that post pointed out you can stimulate your body to produce more HGH than your base level, which may benefit you. The way I am familiar with achieving this is through very intense anaerobic exercise. It's very easy to do in a weight room. Just lift really heavy weights for a few reps, and rest very little between sets. In fact, rest pause sets have been alleged to work best. I have done 3 months of rest pause set training and gained about 25 pounds during that time. For me it produced the greatest amount of muscle hypertrophy that I have ever experienced. But, the workouts are extremely hard, and you never lift two days in a row training this way. For the average runner, HGH means very little. And the average runner will not likely increase HGH levels through normal training. But, that doesn't mean you can't. A track workout of very intense 200-400m work intervals with short, active rest intervals will likely stimulate an increase in HGH production. Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict how much and what effect, if any, it will have. Assuming that type of workout does stimulate HGH production, a typical runner couldn't do that stressful of a workout more than once a week. So, what's the point? There is none. If you think you're HGH deficient due to aging you can go see a doctor and get prescribed HGH. Hormone replacement therapy clinics (also called anti-aging clinics) are popping up and treating patients nation wide. The legitimate clinics will not prescribe the stuff over the internet and will regularly do blood work to check levels. Unfortunately HGH therapy is very expensive and might not be worth it. It takes several months of daily administration to see results. And HGH has to be injected subcutaneously and most users inject into the abdomen with an insulin syringe. On a side note: For you older males out there, do some reading on Andropause and the therapies to treat it. It's interesting stuff. For males, if there is a fountain of youth, the hormone is testosterone, not HGH. Testosterone replacement therapy can be safe if done correctly. You can look at the risk versus the benefits yourself.

SMART Approach

Todd, I guess you could sum up my diet as follows: 50/25/25; C/F/P High fiber Highish protein Adequate carbs Adequate fats (mostly from dairy, nuts, and peanut butter)
                  Marcus - good ratio. I wish I could only eat a protein shake for supper. Wife likes a big meal so very difficult. My wife and mother in law also want pizza all the time. I bale out with a chicken sandwich with a frown Angry from them as they don't get why someone lean and fit needs to restrict their eating. In my opinion, if one wants to be anal and figure this out when eating, I am advocate of: From a fat loss/metabolism boosting standpoint, I am an advocate of 40, 40, 20 and 30-50 grams of fiber. Protein is a bit high, but it really cranks up the metabolism. Lots of chicken, lean meat, fish etc. and protein shakes for snacks to crank up metabolism between meals. I also think many underestimate the value of fiber for appetite suppression and weight loss. For every gram of carbs you can consume with fiber, you can substract 1 gram of carbs and the calories with it. It is an automatic calorie subtractor. From a training standpoint (avid exerciser) and dropping fat, 50-60, 20-30, 20-30 Marathoners and very high mileage runners or extreme exercises would need 60% + of calories from carbs in my opinion to keep glycogen levels at acceptable levels to perform while training.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it's like saying a shoe is like a dolphin.
                    WOW!! Well done!! A simile within a simile! Shocked

The Greatest of All Time

WOW!! Well done!! A simile within a simile! Shocked
                      Are you being sarcastic?

JakeKnight

And we do produce less of it as we age, just as males produce less testosterone and
                        Speak for yourself, girly-man.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

Speak for yourself, girly-man.
                          Dude No You Didn't

JakeKnight

Dude No You Didn't
                            Yes. I went there, girlfriend. And you forgot the period at the end of your quasi-sentence. Grammar is critical here at Bob's College of Running Knowledge.

The Greatest of All Time

And you forgot the period at the end of your quasi-sentence. Grammar is critical here at Bob's College of Running Knowledge and stuff.
                              Fixed. Now screw you people. I have some hoops to watch. Tongue

JakeKnight

Fixed. Now screw you people. I have some hoops to watch. Tongue
                                How do you screw people with a testosterone deficiency? Isn't that hard? (Or, not hard?)