Oh, by the way... leave your iPod at home (Read 1650 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

20 minutes. I can keep a song trapped in my head that long easy. I've been stuck on "where is thumbkin" for days now.
    You know the cure for having a song stuck in your head, don't you? Careful though, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease... V V V V V V V V V V V "You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em bote up... You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em bote up... and say "Daaahhktaahh"! ". I warned you. Wink
      "You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em bote up... You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em bote up... and say "Daaahhktaahh"! ". I warned you. Wink
      You're mean...I'm pretty sure that song will haunt me in my sleep tonight.

Michelle

What about folks with beltones and miracle ears?
        There are two differences between hearing aids and headphones: --One aids hearing; the other impairs hearing. Want to guess which is which? --Those who are naturally hearing impaired have no choice. Users of headphones do....and if they use what is between their ears wisely, they will make the right choice. BTW, I am hearing impaired and use hearing aids....and I know what a difference there is between running with and without my hearing aids. Most people who use headphones to listen to music during a race don't seem to realize the degree to which they are impairing their hearing....or they don't care. To the OP, grow up and abide by the rules of the race.
          There are two differences between hearing aids and headphones: --One aids hearing; the other impairs hearing. Want to guess which is which?
          Jim2: I think Modal was being facetious.
            Could be. I couldn't tell. But everytime the no-headphone rule comes up on running forums, someone tries to relate it to deaf or hearing impaired runners.
              The funny thing is, I can still see fine with my headphones on. Personally I think running in sunglasses would be more dangerous as that actually affects your peripheral vision. Believe me, I would be much more of a threat to clip someone if I was wearing sunglasses compared to headphones. How about running in snow and ice or when its raining out? That seems like it might be dangerous too, though it never seems to be a problem. I grew up playing football, basketball and soccer and maybe I just have a much different opinion of whats considered "dangerous" in sports than many runners. As far as everyone who says run without headphones... I have run w/o them before and I do not enjoy it and do not perform nearly as well. The real problem here for me is that they don't mention no headphones when you sign up. Before you register, you are told that rollerblades, skateboard, snowboards (???) or babyjoggers are allowed... then 2 days before the race, they add headphones to the list. I just think that this should be said upfront, so I can find a race that will allow me to enjoy running they way I want to enjoy running. I honestly don't care if any race wants to ban headphones, just tell me before I sign up, not two days before the event. Either way, I will be running with headphones and if they disqualify me, who cares, I'll know what time I ran.
                I'll bet 10-1 that whatever you've got saved on that thing is lamer than Andrew Lloyd Weber night on American Idol. In fact, I'll bet you've even planned the songs you'll listen to, right? Kajagoogoo, Starland Vocal Express, and Culture Club? Maybe Shakira. No wait, you're Quincy? House of Pain, recent vintage Aerosmith (Janie's Got a Gun), J Geils Band, and maybe the Standells if you're a Sawx freak. I'll bet you $5 that you run faster w/o the tunes. Best thing that ever happened to me was I forgot mine for a race one day. Saw a few ads for "MP3 friendly" races in the back of the Boston Marathon guide (where, by the way, course marshals were forcing the few people I saw with headphones to take 'em off). So fess up. What songs are so frickin' important? Inquiring minds want to know.
                Sorry, but I didn't graduate HS in 1987... those songs you mentioned sound more like something a person with a Gerry Cheevers avatar would listen to. Wink My playlist for the race will probably look something like this: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/17f211dad91b4fdd90edaea7f7698965#focus
                  Sorry, but I didn't graduate HS in 1987... those songs you mentioned sound more like something a person with a Gerry Cheevers avatar would listen to. Wink My playlist for the race will probably look something like this: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/17f211dad91b4fdd90edaea7f7698965#focus
                  You can't really diss Cheevers on the years of those songs when you got Eye of the Tiger by Survior rocking on your playlist because I believe that has been out for a while. Just messing with ya. BC, What race are you running this Sat?
                    The funny thing is, I can still see fine with my headphones on. Personally I think running in sunglasses would be more dangerous as that actually affects your peripheral vision.
                    The safety concern is the people behind you. I almost took out a runner who was passing me during a training run, I had my music too loud. It was just me and some dude who was way faster than me. The number of runners in a race increase the potential for incidents. People are moving pretty quickly in a 5k.
                    Hannibal Granite

The funny thing is, I can still see fine with my headphones on. Personally I think running in sunglasses would be more dangerous as that actually affects your peripheral vision. Believe me, I would be much more of a threat to clip someone if I was wearing sunglasses compared to headphones. How about running in snow and ice or when its raining out? That seems like it might be dangerous too, though it never seems to be a problem.
                      Classic defense strategy, my dengerous thing isn't as bad as X,Y,Z dangerous thing so I should be allowed to do it. Sorry, but sunglasses are not as dangerous as running w/ headphones, while there may be no studies to back this up there are plenty of anecdotal evidence that headphone wearers cause problems for other runners and I have never heard of someone saying "'that person wearing sunglasses is a nuisance" . Besides you can only see what is in front of you, and a bit to the side w/ peripheral vision. The problems headphone wearers cause is what goes on behind and beside them where they can't see. (hearing works in 360 degrees, it's cool like that). I have heard of races being cancelled or postponed due to ice or lighting, but when that danger is to great the race directors are trying to protect everyone in the race, just like banning headphones is for everyone's protection.
                      I grew up playing football, basketball and soccer and maybe I just have a much different opinion of whats considered "dangerous" in sports than many runners.
                      Got it, you're tougher than all of us who have never, ever, even once ever played a contact sport.
                      As far as everyone who says run without headphones... I have run w/o them before and I do not enjoy it and do not perform nearly as well. The real problem here for me is that they don't mention no headphones when you sign up. Before you register, you are told that rollerblades, skateboard, snowboards (???) or babyjoggers are allowed... then 2 days before the race, they add headphones to the list. I just think that this should be said upfront, so I can find a race that will allow me to enjoy running they way I want to enjoy running. I honestly don't care if any race wants to ban headphones, just tell me before I sign up, not two days before the event.
                      Are you sure it didn't say no headphones on the registration form, you know in the waiver we all have to sign before entering any race, but rarely read all the way through? Maybe it didn't and if not I agree they shouldn't change at the last minute.
                      Either way, I will be running with headphones and if they disqualify me, who cares, I'll know what time I ran.
                      That is a great attitude to have about rules, do you follow that philosophy on all rules you don't like?

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Yes, I was joking, but you never know someone might have hearing aids with a built in mp3 player or streaming capability over wireless. Big grin (I need to google for in-ear or custom fabbed ear based mp3 players) Anyone else think cellphone earpieces are tacky?

Vim

I'll know what time I ran.
                          Dude, I wouldn't even register. Just run out there and freeload on the water and grub unless you brought your own. I guess my exception to this would be if the run was on private property.

Vim

JakeKnight

So much for avoiding that dead horse. Hey BostonChris, good luck in your race. If I were you, in the future, if you're intent on sticking with your addiction preference for headphones, I'd assume ALL races ban headphones. Then I'd e-mail the race director of every race before registering and ask if the pods are permitted. In e-mail, so you've got it in writing. If he says they're allowed, take the reply e-mail with you on race day in case anybody gives you a hassle. Problem solved. But if you assume races allow phones because nobody told you otherwise, you're going to be having this frustration a lot. And more horses will die.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

JakeKnight

"You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em bote up... You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em bote up... and say "Daaahhktaahh"! ". I warned you. Wink
                              You're mean. But still no match for Rick Astley.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

Personally almost all the races I have run in have said no ipods/ headphones and you know what... there are still tons of people that wear them. I have never heard (other tahn in triathlons) of them actually DQing someone for them, or even just jotting their name down and exluding them from the results.
                                I had a friend docked 5 minutes at I think it was Pacific Crest Half marathon for wearing them. The just took down bib #'s and added 5 min to the official time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7