The Dinner Table--RA vs. (and? or? with?) CR (Read 1880 times)

RacingThoughts - probably the best post on this topic yet. Bravo.

...And I do.

Great idea for a thread! I appreciate those of you who have been members of RA posting your concerns. I'm afraid that many of us "used to be CR people but now are RA people" are still in the process of finding where we belong. Many users have joined multiple sites looking for what feels like home. However, as you guys pointed out this is YOUR home and it feels like we all sort of converged on your site -- bringing with us or should I say, still shedding our CR persona. It's like we are going through an identity crisis and we are doing it all over your site with little acknowledgment that this site has it's own identity and friends and groups, etc. Sorry about that. I think in a week or two all will settle down. I for one am still working on my training log transfer so setting up my profile properly hasn't been a priority -- and it is a busy time of year. I know, excuses, excuses. I want you all to know that I appreciate your sharing your concerns and perspectives and I look forward to becoming a *real-full-fledged RA* and NOT a CR refugee! ~Shell
        Great discussion, guys, keep it going. I agree with what's already been said, so I won't repeat it, but I will throw in my own $0.02: There is no need to "stir things up" / create drama around here. We are here to become better runners, and while we do have heated debates and discussions, it very rarely becomes rude. Trying to create problems is not cool. RA is a far cry from other message boards/ websites I've visited --- no trolls, no personal attacks or insults, no spamming. Most - if not all! - of the folks at RA are genuinely nice people who are interested in running. I can't speak for everyone, but I've never felt like I "didn't belong" here, and I really love the lack of cliques at RA. Every group I've joined has been welcoming. Here is what I truely love about RA: it is for all levels. Some people are are really freaking fast, and some people aren't. We have milers, 5Kers, 10Kers, HMers, marathoners, ultra marathoners. Some have goals to BQ, some have goals to finish a marathon, some have goals to go sub 5, sub 4, sub 3 hours. Some want to win races, place in their AG. Some want to enjoy the race atmosphere. Some run for the free beer at the end (Wink). Some run on tracks, some on trails, some on treadmills, some on the roads. We're all runners, and to imply that certain people are not b/c of their mileage or time or PRs is something that I sincerely hope does not occur. MTA: After all of that ^^ Blush I do want to welcome you all to RA ... it's a great community and I look forward to meeting you all and making more running buddies Smile
        2009: BQ?
        Scout7

What do you dress cornbread in, anyway? Gingham?
          dougnl

I agree. I think we should lose the CR tags on everything. There's already a group / forum for that- CR Refugees (http://runningahead.com/groups/CRR), and I think that's plenty. We should try and become part of the RA community, and not to turn this place into cool running 2 or try to remain separate from the RA members. It's not like cool running was perfect, the server was slow, the forum and log software were old and out of date. I look at this as a new beginning for us and hope that this will turn out better than cool running ever was.
            absolutely agree. I think that will come. right now it seems to be more to let other former CR people know where we are. Thanks to the RA community for putting up with us and for creating a great forum. I can only imagine how overwhelming this is.
            spacityrunner

You are all correct in stating that CR refugees should learn to integrate into whichever new community we choose to adopt. And, while CR used to be the place I went to talk running and log my runs, since the transition, no more. I love the running log here and hope to incorporate the forums and groups into my training. When I first popped into this site, being the shy kinda gal I am, it was "comforting" to find references to my old hangout. I don't' know where to hang my hat yet, and with any move, it is easiest to hang with "old" friends. I have no doubt that I will find the right place for me among the groups and forums, and I only ask for some patience as I learn my new neighborhood while letting go of the old. We will all settle down somewhere...and hopefully we will not offend while making the transition... I would like some of that green bean casserole please...

Trails Rock!

Scout7

Good job, hippie. You created your very own digital love fest. Break out the drums!!
                  What do you dress cornbread in, anyway? Gingham?
                  I like mine skimpy! Evil grin

Why is it sideways?

Good job, hippie. You created your very own digital love fest. Break out the drums!!
                    We actually did drum in my family after Thanksgiving dinner. I kid you not.
                    Eryn

There is no need to "stir things up" / create drama around here. We are here to become better runners, and while we do have heated debates and discussions, it very rarely becomes rude. Trying to create problems is not cool. RA is a far cry from other message boards/ websites I've visited --- no trolls, no personal attacks or insults, no spamming. Most - if not all! - of the folks at RA are genuinely nice people who are interested in running.
                      I think we're a bit protective of the friendliness that RA has. RacingThoughts, bravo again. I think it will take some time for the CR folks to find the groups they like here and to create new ones, but there's no need to keep it segregated. Take a look around and test the waters, and in the meantime, profiles please! so that we can learn more about you all. Mashed Potatoes. 'nuff said.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Scout7

I like mine skimpy! Evil grin
                        Soooo....more like a g-string? Or french cut?
                          Soooo....more like a g-string? Or french cut?
                          G-String! Although I have a thing for tight shorts too... Shocked Big grin

flatland mountaineer

I'm not fond of the groups that duplicate groups we already have (ie the Marathon Madness Mob), only with CR specific titles and seemingly clique-y behaviors. The CR you knew and loved no longer exists. As much as it may hurt to do so, it's time to move on, start fresh.
                            Active's version of CR is not CR at all and is dead as far as I am concerned. The thing that makes any forum special is its people. I posted to a group on CR ( 40's on the run, not the one mentioned) and most of them have migrated here and have also posted a thread. I know in our group we did not want to lose any of our valued members in the transition and from a sheer navigation point of view if it took setting up a thread that had a familiar look to it to keep old friends together please forgive us. We are not looking to recreate CR but we don't want to lose any old friends either. We are just learning our way around here and it will take some time. We look forward to meeting new folks and new ideas. Hopefully ya all will keep an open mind about us also if you truly welcome us, and give us a little time to settle in as we learn the customs, people etc.. btw you are all welcomed to pop into our little thread and no doubt we will slowly work our way into your threads/groups etc., and thanks again for letting us come into your very fine site.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Scout7

We actually did drum in my family after Thanksgiving dinner. I kid you not.
                              This surprises no one.
                              Scout7

G-String! Although I have a thing for tight shorts too... Shocked Big grin
                                Yeah, that boy short thing is kinda cool.