Pfitzinger vs. Hansons (Read 165 times)

GinnyinPA

Looking for experience and opinions.

I am planning to run my 5th marathon next March and would like to knock 5 minutes off my time. For my first 3 marathons, I followed Higdon's Intermediate 2. For the 4th I used Pfitzinger and PRed by 10 minutes. I was definitely challenged by the plan and was excited by the fact that I could do things that initially I thought impossible - like the very long tempo runs or the MP miles within the long runs.  The large number of long runs (10 at or over 16 miles) was helpful, I think, since I still lack endurance. However, I know that a lot of runners do well with Hanson's and am considering switching. What I like about it is the focus on MP miles. Pfitz doesn't do a lot of MP miles. Hanson doesn't include races. Pfitz does, but they are very sparse where I live in the winter so I end up skipping them. However, I don't like the shorter long run with Hanson, since a 2 1/2 hour run doesn't seem like sufficient preparation for someone like me who will be running 4 hours in the marathon. He only has a couple of 16 mile runs, not the 6-10 I've done in the past. Hanson has more overall mileage which is good, but no real taper, which isn't. I don't know whether I should stick with what worked for me, or try Hansons.

What do you think?

Joann Y

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/ab5076f2b6f14efeb5a96aa3599a4bd6/0

There you go.

MTA: I guess at the time not a lot of people had tried both plans. Hopefully some people will chime in with actual experience!

I saw Jack Daniel's discuss this...

ie., why would you ask a 4-5+ hr marathoner to run longer(more hours) than a professional??

youtube the video.... it's worth watching... I'll add it if I come across it again.

he proposed the question... could you run 2 miles everday for training and complete a 10k? yes most would say.

then he asks, what do ultra marathoners train? the long run... 100+ mile runs, their long run is about 30miles he states,

but for some reason the Marathon is unique? you can't complete 26.2mi without a training run of 20miles?

I'm sure it gives some confidence to have completed 20mile training runs, or to run 4hrs+

he states he'd rather you get injured running the actual marathon, rather than getting injured training for the marathon.

makes a lot of sense to me, but I'm not a big time endurance guy.

but pick/find the plan that works for you.

also not sure why one would need multiple 20 mile long runs in a marathon cycle? if any. 2.5hrs sounds like plenty to me. 4-6, 20mi runs sounds like asking for trouble.

good luck! let us know what you decide and how the results end up!

300m- 37 sec.

I've done both plans and the original post from Bob that Joann referenced pretty much sums up my experience.  The de-emphasis of the long run on the Hansons plan is hard for me to embrace.  I get the logic and math that they present but there is something mentally difficult about your long run being around 16 miles and knowing on race day, you have a full 10 miles more of running than you did in any training run.  Granted I used Hansons for my first marathon which made the problem worse as I didn't have any experience over 20 miles.  At least with a few marathons in your pocket, you know what the miles feel like from 16 - 26.

For me, I just want the mental confidence when I get to mile 20 that I've done the training and am not in unchartered territory.  I might be able to hold up better mentally now that I've run more marathons but in my first one, feeling inexperienced with mileage at 20+ was soul crushing.  Also, not running more than 16 miles doesn't let you practice late race nutrition.  I definitely would have benefited from having more practice taking gels after 16 miles since how I tolerate them at 8-10 miles is totally different than 16-22 miles.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I did most of my marathon running, certainly all my serious marathon running, long before either book was written. My training, though, seemed more like Hanson's. My long run topped out at about 16 miles and most of my best marathons came in the spring after an indoor track season (speed) transitioning to road races (strength), then the marathon. Fall marathons were usually preceded by summer track and early fall 5K and 10K racing. Oddly back then we were not that concerned about trying to get in 20 mile runs or worrying if we could handle the last 10 miles of the marathon. We were more focused on overall mileage and were racing far more frequently than what is common today. Another difference between then and much of today's training is that a lot of what would be called semi-long runs were run at a moderate pace, probably close to MP though we didn't think of it in those terms. Caveat: my marathon times were usually slower relatively speaking compared to my track and 5K times. That may be due to my my training, my genetics leaning more to middle distance, or that some of what I consider my best marathons were run in horrible conditions that weren't conducive to fast times.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Julia1971

After years of following Pfitz, I finally tried a Hanson's plan back in 2015 for the California International Marathon after hearing all the rave reviews.  While I didn't run a terrible time, given the course and conditions, I was disappointed.  But, I wasn't sorry that I tried it.

I'm wondering if you might just want to add a few more MP workouts to the Pfitz plan.  FWIW, I run almost all of my medium and long runs as progressions and I think that's been helpful for introducing more speed-endurance into Pfitz.

NorthNorthwest

I can't speak to Pfitz, but my marathon training is Hansons-like and I buy into not doing 20+ mile long runs. The 16 miler is my staple long run, and I generally don't run more than that. The advantage I see is avoiding a long run of 20+ that breaks me down and causes me to have to take a long time to recover; or worse, makes an injury creep up. So I'll run a bunch of 16 mile long runs throughout training and frequently will do at least 1-2 ADDITIONAL runs of 14-16 miles during a given week (like a 2x6 long interval @ HM, otherwise known as hell on earth). I'll max at 80-100 miles a week, but that achieved more through frequency and doubles, not a huge helping of weekend miles.

So the advantage for me is to avoid overly fatiguing myself on any SINGLE run, so I can then run more frequently and hopefully squeeze in more miles and intensity. I'm not a naturally athletic person, and I've found that high-ish mileage is what I need to be able to push my limits. But I totally understand that's not doable for a lot of people (due to time and life), or even desirable. Standard disclaimer that YMMV and I'm N=1.

I think that if you're feeling nervous about not enough of those 16 mile long runs, go ahead and add more (up the mileage other weekends). Since you're not a marathon beginner, you can likely handle it. You also have probably learned a few things about what works for you, so don't be afraid to alter the plan a bit to get a big more of what you think will help you. Just be smart about it and maintain a balanced approach.

I tend to think 20+ mile long runs for marathon training are useful for two groups: 1) Beginner marathoners who will really benefit from the confidence boost and want to go through the very real "rite of passage" for new marathoners; 2) Elites who can pretty easily run 20+ miles in under 2 hours. (The theory being that aerobic benefits are maxed out around 90 minutes of running, and injury risk increases substantially over 2 hours. That fits my experience, but I'm not terribly well versed in the science.) If you're in camp #1, take the run really easy and take lots of breaks so your body can keep up. That's what I do when ultra training and doing those 25-30 mile slogs for training.

Happy running!

DavePNW

Hi Ginny!

To each his/her own. For me, Pftz > Hansons. I did better on Pfitz, although to be fair, Hansons came first, and I was progressively improving  from accumulated running experience anyway. Still, it got me to 3 straight PRs including 2 BQs (though not by enough). What I liked about Pfitz:

- The 20 milers help me feel better prepared. Maybe psychological, but of course that's an important piece.

- I felt the midweek MLRs really toughened me up. The 70mpw version includes 6 straight weeks with a Wednesday 15 miler. If marathon training is all about sacrifice, getting up at 3:45am to run 15 before work seemed about right.

- The long, continuous tempos I thought provided a lot of training benefit - 12 miles w/7 at 15k-HMP is one of the scarier things I've done. But somehow managed to make it through.

- I did not really miss all the Hansons MP miles. They did help my body gain the muscle memory to lock into MP, but in practice, didn't help me hold it long enough in the race. The handful of LRs w/MP miles in Pfitz were good enough.

- I also did not miss the MP-10 paced workouts. Those never really did anything for me.

I subsequently switched to a McMillan custom plan purchased online, just to try something different after 3 Pfitz cycles in a row. My opinion is if Pfitz worked for you, do it again. You will be used to the workouts, and you will likely improve from another solid cycle.

Good luck!

Dave

GinnyinPA

How does the McMillan plan compare to the other two?

I appreciate the answers from people who have done both Pfitz and Hansons. The long discussion that Joann linked was also interesting, but had the disadvantage that few had done both plans at the time.

DavePNW

How does the McMillan plan compare to the other two?

More similar to Pfitz probably. Although the way the custom plan works is that you fill out an excruciatingly detailed questionnaire about your running history, habits, preferences, and goals, then design a plan to fit you. So it makes sense that it would have a lot of similarities to what you've been doing. It gives you your 20-milers, midweek MLRs, and LRs with MP. Although instead of longer continuous LT runs, it gave them in interval form. Imagine the 6x1 and 3x2 from Hansons, but instead of MP-10, run them at tempo. Fun! Also there was a bit more variety of interval workouts in general, which introduced me to creating workouts on GC and downloading to my watch.

Oh, and I know this was one of your beefs about Pfitz, but I really like the built-in races. Hansons seemed to discourage it. The book gives you a way to work them in, sort of, but is like "Well, if you HAVE to race...." With the McMillan custom plan, you tell them what races you plan to do, and they build them in.

Dave

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

I know the issue that you reference with regard to Pfitzinger's race inclusion when training for a spring marathon.  While the actual navigation of race conditions helps in some ways (because you have to deal with people issues), one way I've adapted to the fact that there may not be a race locally on or near the training schedule date is I have run enough races locally to know the courses and there is nothing (except really snotty weather) to prevent me from running the course at my race pace, sans other racers.

I've gone through the progression from Galloway to Hanson to Fitzgerald to Pfitzinger (50 mile).  Haven't made the leap up to Pfitzinger's 70 mile plan.  Pfitz is my favorite and the one I've done best in , but I'd consider going back to give Hanson another look given the fact that I have 10 marathons under my belt and my understanding of the way my body responds to the race distance.  But I did like the fact that when I reached the 20 mile point, with 10 Km to go, I was ready to run. The way I describe it is "I know this feeling" and the ability to drive it on home.

I developed a foot injury after my last marathon and eventually had to stop running basically for five months.  I've been more in a mileage rebuild mode than a training for race mode.  Fortunately, my foot is doing well.  When I resume training in November, I plan on using Pfitzinger again.  But your question has made me think of looking at Hanson again.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

slingrunner

I'm a pfitz guy, and I hate the MP runs.  One thing to consider is that for many of us our training runs may be run in far worse situations than the actual planned race.  If you marathon is going to be 50 degrees, I'm just not convinced that 14 mile marathon paced run in 80 and humid serves its intended purpose.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’d recommend Brad Hudson’s ‘Run Faster’ book which encourages you to be your own coach. Great read. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've done Hanson's once. I like the 16 mile long run. It's typically two or three days after a 10 mile run at 10 seconds slower than goal pace. What I LIKE about Hansons is they lay off goal marathon pace. They also hit a LOT of GMP during training. I can't say I ever finished a week of running on their plan thinking "man I could have run WAY more miles" and it was training for my third marathon. I also liked having every day planned out knowing I'd have Wednesdays off. I also liked not racing. For one, there aren't many races in my area during a marathon cycle, and I don't want to drive a few hours to test out training. Two, I fully embraced their logic in an attempt to put their program to the test much like their book says. It worked for me. I didn't have to find a 10K or run a time trial just to see if training is going well. I could look at my training and see if it was going well. I also didn't need to run for 2.5-3 hours just because it hits some magic number of 20 miles. Just over 2 hours is fine and I've learned how its different for elites running a 20 miler and a non-elite (myself) running a 20 miler.

Iv'e never done a Pfitzinger plan from what I remember. I'd consider myself a Hanson's fanboy simply because I PR'd and beat my original goal by about 7 minutes (not a BQ) and my second goal, set a week before the race, by a few minutes. With all the miles at marathon pace it was pretty easy to learn eating and drinking, along with mentally preparing for it. I have switched to a Jack Daniels plan for this marathon cycle to try something new.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

I'm a pfitz guy, and I hate the MP runs.  One thing to consider is that for many of us our training runs may be run in far worse situations than the actual planned race.  If you marathon is going to be 50 degrees, I'm just not convinced that 14 mile marathon paced run in 80 and humid serves its intended purpose.

Well the situation you describe may apply to a fall marathon, it's the reverse for a spring race.

Anyway, the race is way worse than any training run.

Dave