Plantar Fascitis Question (Read 1984 times)

I've been battling various injury since November... I started running again the first of June after two months off and the first week back I started having prolbems with Plantar Fascitis. I didn't stop again because I wanted to run a 5k on July 4th that I run every year. I've been able to train fine... I don't have pain when I run... only when I first get out of bed or I've sat for a while. After the race should I take some more time off??? I've been icing and stretching. I don't know how to get rid of this! I'm wanting to train for a March marathon and don't want this affecting my training. Any pointers?
    JakeKnight

Two words: superfeet. Wait. That's one word. Go to your running store. Ask for superfeet insoles. About $40. Our own JGoldsborough recommended them here. I'd dealt with PF for almost a year. I'd tried everything, the stretching, etc. I got the insoles and within 2 weeks, it was almost gone. Now its completely gone. Superfeet green. http://www.superfeet.com/

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

I've been able to train fine... I don't have pain when I run... only when I first get out of bed or I've sat for a while. After the race should I take some more time off???
        Eventually the foot deteriorates more and more. The stiffness last longer and comes back quicker and quicker when inactive during the day. It took me nearly 4 years to completely be rid of it. Mind you I didn't do anything to help myself. Like getting orthodics or staying off it. Even just walking worsens it, if you let it get to out of hand. I play tennis with a guy who has Planters and he claims he's had it for seven years and he wears orthodics.Although he says it is mild now. Most people around here that have gotten Planters, seem to have been able to shake it off within a couple of months. I wouldn't mess around and just try and stay off your feet as much as possible. Super feet may work, I wear them, the sales guy at the store I bought them explained how they work. They apparently align your whole body. Interestingly enough he stated, without me asking that if you have Planters they won't cure the problem. Which surprised me because Superfeet are really just orthodics, aren't they?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

If you feel the need to train before 100% recovery consider foot tapping. A bit unconfortable changes your stride just a bit but greatly reduces the stress on the PF.
            Look at your shoes and not just your running shoes. I know shoes with out back (flip flops, clogs, etc) can cause and aggravate plantar fascitis. Also, are you doing any foot exercises and stretches? I know I saw several on runnersworld and podiatrist was talking about them on one of the running podcasts.
            You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
            JakeKnight

Super feet may work, I wear them, the sales guy at the store I bought them explained how they work. They apparently align your whole body. Interestingly enough he stated, without me asking that if you have Planters they won't cure the problem. Which surprised me because Superfeet are really just orthodics, aren't they?
              Strange. I was told a Fleet Feet that they'd specifically fix PF. And JGoldsborough, our resident shoe expert here at RA, told me the same thing. And they did indeed magically fix a year-old problem in no more than two weeks. I tried everything else. And I mean everything. Nothing helped. Including staying off my feet; I found that running less just made it worse. For me the inserts were a miracle cure. It's completely gone.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

thanks for the suggestions. I have orthodics already And I have been doing foot stretches. I have also stopped wearing filp flops this summer (which i hate!) I just wish this would go away!
                  thanks for the suggestions. I have orthodics already And I have been doing foot stretches. I have also stopped wearing filp flops this summer (which i hate!) I just wish this would go away!
                  Getting rid of the Flip flops is an awsome first start they are the worse thing you can do to your feet with PF. Make sure you are wearing supportive shoes all day. Then for the pain in the morning make sure that you are stretching your calves before you even get out of bed in the morning. Keep a towel at the side of the bed and do a good calf stretch. Also use a golf ball to rub your foot along the floor to do a good intense massage once a day. If it doesn't seem to be getting better with that then check in with a Sports Med Physical Therapist.

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

PF just plain stinks. I battled it about 2 years ago. My podiatrist gave me a pair of orthotics and that helped but it never stopped hurting. I stopped running for about 6 weeks and still did not have any relief. Finally - received a cortizone shot in my heel. That worked like magic. I was able to rest for about 2 more weeks and then resume running. Once I got my case of PF under control - it was fine. Now I know how to avoid it and have not had any issues since. Just something to think about if you cannot get some relief. Good luck. Kevin
                    Don't let the fat fool you .....
                      Yoga helps as well. I was doing Yoga regularly and the PF went away. since i've been deployed, i've not been as consistent (ok, I've done a yoga routine twice in 3 months) and it feels like the PF is coming back. I've started Yoga again....Downward Facing Dog really stretches the muscles out and helped tremendously. Karyn
                        I bought the strassburg sock last weekend and have been wearing it. It was uncomfortable the first night, but after that I've goten used to it. My PF seems to be getting better. But I don't know if it's the sock or the fact that I've stopped running. Has anyone used the sock?
                          Has anyone used the sock?
                          My DH used the sock because a friend, who had a whomping case of PF, recommended it. It did wonders for my friend and helped my DH. I had a mild bout with PF and new shoes made the difference for me.
                            Mine started up when I upsized to a 10 from 9.5. I also started wearing Top-sider's with little support (the original with the thin sole). I've 're-shoed' with 9.5's and ditched the TS'ers but things aren't getting much better. It almost seemed to go away when I don't think about it. I wonder if I subconsciously change my walk and aggravate the problem. I'll try the insoles, though. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Half Fanatic #846

I developed PF about 3 weeks ago; took 2 weeks off and that didn't help any, so I'm back to running about 30% of the weekly mileage I was running before. I've seen so many different things reported that helped/didn't help. Like too many other things, it seems like I'll just have to experiment till I find something that works. Even the professionals can't seem to agree on a treatment. Since I apparently have a milder case (no pain - just discomfort and soreness), I'm working on strengthening my feet while continuing to run some. I've started a little barefoot running (on the TM) - it's actually very comfortable and I enjoy it. Started at .25 mi and increased to 2 mi about twice a week, where I'll keep it for a few weeks. My heel feels better because barefoot allows/influences me to run on my forefoot (ball), rather than putting so much landing shock and pressure on my heels. Most of my running will be "shoed", however. Ordered a pair of Nike Free 5.0s (minimalist type shoes) to help in this regard also. BTW, I found out that the "5.0" means 'half way between wearing running shoes and runnning barefoot' according to the Nike 10-0 scale. Being on my feet on concrete most of the time at work sure dosen't help, so I've been trying to find ways to get off my feet more while I'm there! I see where many people with PF say that going barefoot is really bad, but I've got very sensitive feet and have always worn highly cushioned running shoes; so I figure my feet are probably weak and definitely need strengthening, which should eventually help the PF issue. (Which makes me wonder if I hadn't been wearing the cushioned shoes for the last 4 years, it's possible I wouldn't be having this problem now - but who knows?) So far so good, but it's early yet. Smile Bill Big grin MTA: Rolling a tennis ball with the foot seems to help too.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

PossumTrot

PossumTrot

I tried everything else. And I mean everything. Nothing helped. Including staying off my feet; I found that running less just made it worse. For me the inserts were a miracle cure. It's completely gone.

Agree, I went through a long time of pain with PF and even had the surgery.  Didn't walk/run for ~1 year.  When I did start back the pain returned within a few weeks, but not quite as bad.  Bought some Superfeet and within weeks my pain was almost gone.  I bought a pair for my running shoes and work boots and have had minimal pain since.  I wish I had found these before the surgery.  May have saved me a lot of pain and money!