Long run nutrition/energy food? (Read 1664 times)

I like the Snickers Marathon Bar (Multi-grain crunch). You can get it at Wal-Mart. Their not cheap, but they taste way better than power bars and are much easier to eat. Here's a link you might find useful: http://nutrition.tufts.edu/consumer/balance/2004-04/energybar.html
    That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump
      How'd it go? I was thinking of you this morning on my long run. I ate last night, had a swig of Red Bull before my run and took off. I had a gu at mile 12 and only about 6oz of poweraid on my entire run. I wear my fuel belt with 24oz strapped to me and I only halfway empty 2 containers. I'm just now eating at 1:30. How do you guys eat and run!? I just can't. Dead THe thought makes me sick but I often think it would do me a world of good if I did. Tomorrow I'll be eating anything and everything that isn't nailed down. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I brought a small Rice Krispy treat with me and ate it mid-way during my 14.5 mile run. It was PERFECT! For once I didn't have that gnawing sensation for the last half of a long run (which took almost 3 hours). My belly was all "wha...hey, that's cool. I won't bug you, now." So I had a couple of GU and the Rice Krispy bar and that was just what I needed, along with diluted Gatorade. I think for my 25k I will try to find the larger size Rice Krispy treats, since the box I have just has the little 90 calorie ones. For that race I'd probably want at least 150 calories in a little treat like that. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

muse_runner

keep running.

Life'sabeach: when you say "you ate last night" I'm wondering is that like something uncommon for you? Or do you typically eat dinner before your long runs? Just curious. You skip breakfast before a 20 miler and GU at mile 12? Dang... I eat a lot the night before and the morning of. I dunno. I just eat a lot. Oh well. I can eat anything and run. I love that. I can't wait to do my first ultra run this summer. I'll be enjoying all of the foods. I like fig newtons, starburst, GU's, frosting, pretzles, finger sandwhiches...
          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I eat a lot the night before and the morning of. I dunno. I just eat a lot. Oh well.
            Heh...me too. Hence my evil weight-loss plateau. I don't think I'm going to have much luck losing weight again until AFTER my 25k in a month. I just can't eat to run hard AND lose at the same time. So far the only thing that makes me queasy while running is straight Gatorade. If I dilute it to half-strength I'm good. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

What did people do before Goo was invented?
                  Life'sabeach: when you say "you ate last night" I'm wondering is that like something uncommon for you? Or do you typically eat dinner before your long runs? Just curious. You skip breakfast before a 20 miler and GU at mile 12? Dang... I eat a lot the night before and the morning of. I dunno. I just eat a lot. Oh well. I can eat anything and run. I love that. I can't wait to do my first ultra run this summer. I'll be enjoying all of the foods. I like fig newtons, starburst, GU's, frosting, pretzles, finger sandwhiches...
                  yes, I usually eat dinner. Tongue IN fact last night I had a cheeseburger with fries and stole some chocolate shake from the littlest kid. I just can't eat early in the morning. I get up and have about 20 minutes before I need to be running and I'm just not hungry at that hour, kwim? I also don't like stuff sloshing about in my stomach. and see, I'm looking at that list and really, I have a hard time swallowing the GU. It takes me about 1/2 a mile to get it all down without gagging. Nothing else really appeals. I don't like fig newtons, or energy bar candy stuff. I know I need to try to find something that will work. Ideally, I'd like to plant someone mid way and have them hand me some Red Bull and funyuns. Shy I don't think that's gonna happen though. ok, finger sandwiches sound good! with cheese and some kinda meat in 'em. yum!

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought I was the only one who liked Funyuns! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran nearly 2 1/2 hours today in the icy driving rain and cold. To keep me moving and warm, I had 2 cinnamon pop tarts (400 calories). Good stuff!! Nothing during the run, and then a big bottle of accelerade after (I chose that sports drink because they are using it at the Country Music Marathon in 2 weeks).
                        oh mah gah!! there was a time during my pregnancy with my first child, when I would eat cinnamon pop tarts everyday! I haven't had one in years and now you've reminded me of their yummy goodness! Tongue I'd have to have them with a big glass of milk!

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd have to have them with a big glass of milk!
                          And a 15 mile run. Don't forget that part Wink
                            Pop tarts are delicious. Very, very delicious. Ohhhhh what I wouldn't give for a warm gooey s'more pop tart right now ... Cry
                            2009: BQ?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How do Pop Tarts hold up on a run? I actually looked at those in the store and wondered if they might work as running munchies, too. I pictured them getting really mangled in my Camelback pocket, though. k

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Now Kirsten, that FULL size looks perfect! I'm glad your run went so well. I enjoy Jolly Ranchers on races, too. Nothing like sucking on some blue sugar to keep ya going! Now I'm going to have to get some Pop Tarts. I'm with you Trish, that S'mores are the best. That's what I'll plan for my next marathon. OMG I said next.
                                deb