when to stretch??? (Read 1830 times)

Stretching is a really generic term. I know I feel better when I run if I do a little stretching before hand - get the kinks out of the legs, esp. if I had a long drive to the trailhead. BUT I'm talking things on the order of shoulder shrugs, ankle rotations, a little bit for calves / hams, etc - things that are as much warmup as they are stretch. Maybe on the order of a minute or two. My PT provided some stretches that worked wonders for me for some hip and foot/ankle issues I was having. Eventually, I managed to overstretch, then those stretches were causing me problems. So I stopped those stretches for a bit, problem went away. Then this fall, original niggles came back, resumed those stretches, niggles went away. It's about knowing what your body needs. I'm not sure I've ever used any of the standard running stretches, other than maybe calves. Yea, I can see how they'd lead to injury. For warmdown, I'll generall walk a bit and some sideways drills and maybe some side leg lifts.
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

There is a recent body of evidence indicating that stretching does nothing to alleviate the risk of injury. There's also clear evidence that stretching -- duhh! -- improves flexibility. So if flexibility isn't important to you, don't bother stretching. If it is, then stretch. I'm a martial artist and yoga practitioner. Flexibility is more important to me than running.
      Steve Boyett
      Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
      Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
      gracerunner

I never stretch. Warming up gently and cooling down for at least 20-30 minutes before and after is all that I need. When I didn't warmup and cooldown, I was always having problems with injuries. When I stretched, it was even worse. I notice that my muscles feel stiff if I skimp on the WU and CD routine. Be very careful with stretching. I have a yogini friend and she believes runners and many people in yoga classes overstretch. She says the stretch must be so gentle that it should feel like you're not stretching at all. Just a mild move in a direction. It takes years to get as flexible as her.
          I stretch off and on. I find that for long runs, I will stretch for about 15 minutes afterwards and it always makes me feel better. It seems, though, that whenever I start to talk about soreness or injury, I get told to stretch a certain way. I spent months stretching my piriformis (inner butt muscle) when I was having problems. All those problems went completely away with proper shoes and orthotics. Go figure. To put my comments into perspective, I am a late-onset fitness buff - I've been exercising (including running) for only 2.5 years of my 50.5 year life.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I've had periods when I would stretch, periods when I don't. If I do, it's always after exercise though. I never saw a corelation between stretching and injury (or lack of). However, when I do stretch well after exercise, I seem to recover quicker and am less prone of being sore the rest of the day or next day. I always stretch my ITB to avoid it becoming painful. The ITB responds very well to stretching. - R
            obiebyke

I did a trial run of not stretching yesterday, and my l legs feel horrible today. Well, it was worth a try. To each their own.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I did a trial run of not stretching yesterday, and my l legs feel horrible today. Well, it was worth a try. To each their own.
                According to your log you haven't run since January 19th. I suspect that might be why your legs feel horrible, not because you didn't stretch. Besides, one run won't produce enough data to tell you anything. I tried it for an entire year before I made my decision. Tom

Marathon Maniac #3309

According to your log you haven't run since January 19th. I suspect that might be why your legs feel horrible, not because you didn't stretch. Besides, one run won't produce enough data to tell you anything. I tried it for an entire year before I made my decision. Tom
                  That's why these logs are so cool...for all to be able to see, and possibly help people asking questions and giving suggestions. I would also say the legs felt bad through lack of running, not from "not" stretching. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slow but Happy!

Hello! My name is Sarah and I don't stretch. I thought I was the only one so you can imagine my relief to find that so many others are just like me. From here on out, I refuse to feel guilty about not stretching! Now that I've got that out, I think I'll finally be able to sleep at night Big grin
                    "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." W.C. Fields

Slow but Happy!

I feel much better...

Slow but Happy!

Now I think I need a beer...excuse me please...and I apologize for my computer's many issues...
                        rmsabo

I do a little bit of minor stretching before my run and then a nice long 15 minutes stretch session afterward. I also do a 15 minute long cold stretching session in the morning before I go to work. The morning session is done very carefully and slowly; I'd hate to rip something. However, for me, the stretching isn't running-related. I'm just trying to work on my side splits (almost have them - maybe a month left to go) to impress everybody (and myself) when I start up taekwondo again in May.

Why is it sideways?

I'd say that it's between stretching and whether or not it's good to take days off from running as the 2 most controversial topics I've seen on running forums. These are the two I've seen discussed over and over, with strong opinions on both sides. This leads me to believe that it works for some and not for others. The lessen here is to learn what works for you and what doesn't rather than baseing your decisions on what everyone else does.
                            We have a winner.
                              I usually do some light stretches after I run. If I start feeling tightness somewhere (usually my calves or other lower legs muscles), I concentrate on that area more. I've had a lot of problems with tendinitis since I started running. If I don't keep my muscles stretched they pull on these tendons (achilles, peroneal, etc) in my feet and ankles too much and I end up in a lot of pain. That's my current theory anyway. Tongue

skinnycaponesugar

That's why these logs are so cool...for all to be able to see, and possibly help people asking questions and giving suggestions. I would also say the legs felt bad through lack of running, not from "not" stretching. Tim
                                Maybe Obie hasn't logged any runs since? it doesn't necessarily mean runs didn't happen Smile I better keep my logs up to date... Anyway, I'm also a newbie and last night I came in and I was a bit sore, so I stretched. Right now I am doing a combination of cool down and a bit of stretching, if I feel tight somewhere. I believe that if I hadn't done it I would be sore today. I didn't stretch for nearly as long as other people are saying they do or used to do, 15 mins sounds like a long time, IMHO Thanks all for this thread, great to read the different points of view!

Love, Run, Sleep