Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You said you weren't attacking someone then implied they were gullible.  And if you actually meant that last question, you probably should've started with that.

Anyways I've fed this troll enough for now.

My initial post was directed at Flavio and recommending a book that might help him with his training…but I guess I live rent free in your head.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I’m making fun of the profile pic and pointing out how ridiculous it looks, I’m hoping that some of the gullible people might have seen the light now regarding masks.  

Maybe she looks great without a mask?

Funny you assume that is a recent picture. It's from a few years ago when the ony way a race coould get approved is if they required masks at the start.

Marky_Mark_17

My initial post was directed at Flavio and recommending a book that might help him with his training…but I guess I live rent free in your head.

"I didn't attack someone because I also wrote some other unrelated things in the same post".  Laughably weak defence there, even more funny with the attempt at gaslighting at the end.  Try again.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Funny you assume that is a recent picture. It's from a few years ago when the ony way a race coould get approved is if they required masks at the start.

Maybe it’s time to change it to a more recent photo? I know that covid was very very very scary…but let’s have a new profile pic!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ah, can't you just feel the Christmas goodwill...come on people!  Mikkey while I agree with you about how silly some of the Covid rules were, I wore a mask when I needed food or to fly and even at a race briefing like Half Crazy.  Thankfully all that lunacy is behind us.  All you need to worry about now is getting to a start line!

Mark - Nice race and course record.  I'm pretty sure a win and record requires a race report...your speed was the same as my last Park Run which I think confirms the course difficulty and that you're still getting back to 100%.

Mikkey - Well done on keeping hold of both rings, and especially your wife.  She must be a tolerant woman 

Flavio - Have you found any good contender races yet?

me - Week 3 of the base build and slightly harder hill repeats.  The first part of the hill makes me doubt my fitness but as the gradient reduces a bit by the third I feel amazing.

I'll set a new yearly mileage record on Thursday, for the 4th year in a row.  It's also the second year in a row that I've set PRs at all 4 major distances, which obviously is tied to the consistency and the more scientific approach taken by my coach.  So why do I still have that nagging feeling like I have big goals left...my main goal for each of the last 2 years was the marathon and as everyone knows, all 3 attempts have been spectacularly bad.  So there's still fire in the belly.  My partner did ask me how I'd have viewed a year like this 3 years ago when I kept fading in the half.  My answer is that I wouldn't have even believed the results if someone had told me 3 years ago.  So I'm going to try and be happy with the year!

Weekly for period: From: 11/12/2023 To 17/12/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
            Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in m
            11/12 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:07 09:10 05:40 0
            11/12 Easy hour 7.50 12.06 01:03:43 08:30 05:17 23
            12/12 Warm up 0.33 0.54 00:03:07 09:27 05:46 0
            12/12 Shakeout 3.75 6.03 00:31:40 08:27 05:15 12
            13/12 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:09 09:16 05:50 0
            13/12 Midweek Endurance - 40 mins AeT 10.80 17.37 01:20:54 07:29 04:39 11
            14/12 Warm up 0.33 0.54 00:03:03 09:15 05:39 0
            14/12 Easy hour 7.70 12.39 01:04:30 08:23 05:12 25
            14/12 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:03 08:58 05:33 0
            14/12 Thursday Double 3.75 6.03 00:32:14 08:36 05:21 12
            15/12 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:04 09:01 05:35 0
            15/12 Friday Strides - 6 x 15 seconds 5.02 8.07 00:42:43 08:31 05:18 17
            16/12 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:07 09:10 05:40 0
            16/12 Hill repeats - 3 x 7 mins into 3 x 60 seconds 9.45 15.20 01:22:44 08:45 05:27 321
            17/12 Recovery 9.14 14.70 01:21:55 08:58 05:34 9

Totals: Time: 08:22:03 - ๐Ÿฆ…Imperial: 59.45 mi - Metric: 95.66 km

5km: 18:34 11/23 โ”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 โ”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 โ”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

DavePNW

Steve - congrats on the annual mileage and the PR Grand Slam! The marathon will still be there for you.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

65 miles running, 90 minutes pool-running and ~1000 yards swimming.
                M: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga
                T: Upperbody weights/core and 7.5 miles very easy (10:25) on trails.
                W: Streaming yoga and 11 miles very easy (9:27) plus strides.
                Th: 10 miles, with 8 Iwo Jima hills (alternating 2-2:50 uphill with 30-40 second downhill stride, 60-90 second jog between each). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                F: 11 miles very easy (9:41) plus drills and strides. Streaming yoga in afternoon.
                Sa: 17.5 miles, including 2x5 miles at marathon effort (37:24- 7:29 pace and 37:13 - 7:27 pace) with 8:32 float between the two. Followed with injury prevention work and 500 meters recovery swimming.
                Su: 8 miles very easy (10:17) on trails.

I'm finally starting to feel like myself, 3 weeks after stopping the Lexapro. Saturday's long run was a nice confidence boost, especially given the fact that I intentionally pre-loaded my legs with a lot of work in the days before. I'm now 4 weeks out from Houston, so I'm going to start pulling back slightly on the mileage while upping the intensity.

Steve - congrats on the mileage PB.  And I think you should be very happy with the year.  Don't focus so much on one tree - focus on the forest.

Mikkey - I always found it funny that Hudson focused on "adaptive running" and then included workout schedules at the end.

Flavio - I've never understood the running by time thing - what if you hit your time and you're still 800m from home?

Marky_Mark- congrats on the new course record at the Park Run.

All of you - someday we'll all get together at a bar somewhere and the differences will wash away after a round or two.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just so it's here and not a few pages back in the silliness, here's a link to the McMillan article about strength training periodization. It may not line up perfectly if you also have a periodized running plan, but it's nice to have some sort of guide on how to combine the two.

mmerkle

Mark Nicely done with the CR. That course reminds me of the courses in the summer race series I do. Out and back with hills, finishing uphill. I noticed you mentioned you are not far off your highlest mileage year, as opposed to kilometerage. Does this mean you are surrendering to the imperial system? (trolling)

Steve You've been diligent, and it paid off / is paying off. Glad you are happy with the way things are going. Looking forward to next year. You will have a good marathon some day in the not too distant future.

dw Nice 2 X 5 mile at MP. I find workouts like that pretty tough for some reason. Also I like the bar gathering idea lol.

Half Crazy K Thanks for posting that link. I was actually recently thinking to myself that I should look into periodizing my strength work next cycle. Good timing.

As for myself. Things are getting better I think. Hopefully I'll be near full capacity when 2024 rolls around. The IT band issue went away. The hip flexor is like 95% better but about 10 days ago I randomly (?) developed what I beleive was/is patellar tendonitis in my right knee. That seems to be on its way out. One thing after the next lately. Just like last year at this time... hmmm

DavePNW

Marky_Mark- congrats on the new course record at the Park Run.

Somehow I missed this—nice work!!

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Marky_Mark: I saw the win, missed that it was a course record. Belated congrats.

darkwave: glad you're feeling better now that you're off the the medication.

flavio: I may use time as a limiting factor, but I still prefer tracking by miles. I may have 10 miles as my planned distance, but I'll turn back to finish if it will take me over 2 hours, my limit for the day.

Finished the week with my first interval workout in months:
                        M: Run-walk for 5.2 miles, fastest average pace in quite a while
                        T: Rest
                        W: Easy run-walk for 3 miles
                        T: Repeat of Monday for 5.4 miles
                        F: Easy run-walk for 3.1 miles
                        S: Easy run-walk for 3 miles finishing with 4 easy strides
                        S: 2 mile run-walk warm up, 6 x 200m, 250m jog-walk recoveries, jog-walk mile cool down

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP: I think a lot of that is inconsistency in terminology. My experience with Garmin says it has to be close to an all out sprint for Garmin to call it anything other than aerobic. While R pace is hard, usually about mile race pace, it is not anaerobic. I'd judge the first set of 200s is to push you up to or over your LT, then the meat of the workout is building LT, ending with the second set of 200s for VO2Max. It also encourages you to learn to run relaxed and fast when tired.  Overall that is an LT workout.

Thanks.

If I had to guess, I would say the purpose of this workout is leg speed. You have a total of 8 200s (what was the rest between the 200s?) and only 10 total minutes of tempo work. Most tempo focused sessions feature at least 20 minutes total. I know Jack Daniels has mentioned that he noticed many athletes experiencing leg speed gains from tempo work. So, that's my vote.

90 seconds. Full recovery based on what jack daniels says is the proper way to do repetition work.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Half krazy mine is from my first ever “floating” picture. I was always doing a flamingo. I was going REALLY fast.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

HCK - Thanks for the info, that seems to align with what the book is saying as well.
                              I had found that link from McMillan in my research, it was a good starting point.
                              I'm also looking for guidance on exactly how much I should scale back strength training on the last few weeks before a race.
                              The consensus seems to be to drop to maintenance mode, but I'm digging deeper to find a more detailed answer.

Mikkey - I read that book and found it quite good.
                              Re: the controversy, I suppose just apologize and move on?

Dave - I'm assuming you're using their cookie cutter plans? Cause I'd think they'd give you distance based plans if you bought custom plans.

Steve - I have a list of races from February 25th to April 28th. Ideally I'd like to be in shape for the first few ones.
                              If I'm not in shape for late April then this will get delayed cause I'm planning a visit to my family and I do not want to be training for a marathon while there.
                              I will also echo that you have been doing really well the last couple of years.

WCRunner - It's good to see you're getting back on track.

DW - Good news that the meds wore off though I suppose you're back at square one as you still have the startle thing to handle.

Running for time - I think this is probably more of a personal preference? Just like you could run for KM or miles.

Or you could be Steve and think: Nah, I'm just gonna run whatever, like I'm gonna run 62 minutes but I'll title it "one hour" ๐Ÿ˜‚

To answer Darkwave - What if you hit your prescribed distance and you're still 800m from home? I suppose we both use the same principle of turning back slightly before "half way" so you have some margin in case something happens on the "way back".

To me that could be a stray dog blocking the street and forcing me to go around, but it could also be a road blocked due to construction or a flood, or getting temporarily lost, or anything that forces you out of your way.

To answer Dave - I don't plot specific routes ๐Ÿ˜ I just pick a direction and then will chose where to go based on a sequence of whims. I do have some preferences for some streets over others, and some neighbourhoods over others so the routes end up mostly repeating over time.

Running by time works really well for me because if I'm feeling good one day I'll run a bit more, and if I'm feeling trashed (which is when I should really hold back) I'll run less (like last week, after the squat session), but overall I'll run roughly the same effort and time. Also there's no point in speeding up to get home quicker.

Training plans - I wanted to get the word out there that Luke Humphrey ( guy behind the Hansons books ) has something called the run club on his site, where you can pick any of their hundred or so training plans to use, and they have a forum where his coaches will answer specific questions you might have, it might be useful if you don't need as much guidance as with a running coach (https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/run-club/).

I have not personally used the run club, but I was coached by Luke for a few months in last 2019 early 2020 and I can attest that he's an excellent dude and he puts out very good material in the form of videos about all aspects of running.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - Good news that the meds wore off though I suppose you're back at square one as you still have the startle thing to handle.

Well...I omitted that bit of good news....the improvements in the exaggerated startle reflex thing have lingered even after stopping the Lexapro.  On Saturday's long run I hit a couple situations that would have caused major issues two months ago (sudden loud noises, birds flying in front of me, cars passing me closely) and I was fine.  So...if enduring the 3 weeks fixed that issue, it was well worth it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.