BQ Standards for 2024 Posted. ETA: BQ - 5:29 (Read 267 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Registration opens Sept 11.

Currently no cut-offs inside qualifying times.

Qualifying times are unchanged from 2023.

https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/runs-races/2024-boston-marathon-entry-standards-are-out/?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Useful information! I don't expect to run a full marathon this year, but would like to try to BQ in 2024. Since the marathon I plan to run takes place late September to early October, I think I'd be registering too late to BQ for the 2025 race. If I feel ready perhaps I should do an earlier marathon.

I have a couple points of confusion. Due to a lower number of applicants there were no cut-offs for the last two years, but as I understand it there could still be cut-offs in future races if the number of qualifiers is larger than the field size.

I also don't understand the non-binary standards. The non-binary qualifying standards are the same as those for women. I'm a male about to turn 72 and my qualifying time is 4:20. So if I declare that I no longer identify as a male would my qualifying time become 4:50? Not that I plan to do that, but it would seem to be a way to BQ that a man could take advantage of. Also, are there separate awards for non-binaries, like there would be a first placed male, first placed female and a first placed binary?

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I also don't understand the non-binary standards. The non-binary qualifying standards are the same as those for women. I'm a male about to turn 72 and my qualifying time is 4:20. So if I declare that I no longer identify as a male would my qualifying time become 4:50? Not that I plan to do that, but it would seem to be a way to BQ that a man could take advantage of. Also, are there separate awards for non-binaries, like there would be a first placed male, first placed female and a first placed binary?

From the BAA website:

Non-Binary Athletes

The Boston Athletic Association is actively working on expanding opportunities for non-binary athletes at our events, including the Boston Marathon.

With this being our second year featuring non-binary participation, we do not yet have enough data to establish non-binary qualifying times. Therefore, we will use the times listed here, as they are inclusive of the qualifying times for the two existing divisions. As we prepare for future races, participants can expect non-binary times to be updated accordingly.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Sitting on a BQ -11:09.  See y'all there.

<3

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Useful information! I don't expect to run a full marathon this year, but would like to try to BQ in 2024. Since the marathon I plan to run takes place late September to early October, I think I'd be registering too late to BQ for the 2025 race. If I feel ready perhaps I should do an earlier marathon.

I have a couple points of confusion. Due to a lower number of applicants there were no cut-offs for the last two years, but as I understand it there could still be cut-offs in future races if the number of qualifiers is larger than the field size.

That's exactly how it works. Run your qualifier as "female" or "non binary" and you could enter Boston with the slower qualifying time.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

All About that Pace 2024

Okay, I don't want to throw cold water but when I read the information on the link, it indicated that the last 2 Bostons did not have cut-offs if you had qualified but it did not indicate that that would be the case for 2024.  In fact, it goes on to say that there is no guarantee if you meet the qualifying times that you are accepted.

I don't think the "rules" have changed.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Okay, I don't want to throw cold water but when I read the information on the link, it indicated that the last 2 Bostons did not have cut-offs if you had qualified but it did not indicate that that would be the case for 2024.  In fact, it goes on to say that there is no guarantee if you meet the qualifying times that you are accepted.

I know they could bring in cutoffs. I meant that as of now, there are not cutoffs inside those qualifiers.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cutoffs depend on how many people apply. If 29,000 people apply for 30,000 spots there will be no cutoffs. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I was always under the impression that a BQ was a difficult standard.

I guess I was wrong.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I guess I was wrong.

Wow, ego much!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I'm not sure how to interpret Surly Bill's statement, does he think the current standard is too easy or is he saying there used to be just a single qualify time? Well, 3:30 was the BQ standard for all runners from 1971 to 1976. For Surly Bill's age group (60-64) the fastest BQ time was in 1980 at 3:10,  for all those over 40, but currently it's 3:55, a slower 8:58 mm pace. I'm sure many runners his age are much faster, and maybe he considers a 3:55 not a challenge, but I think most runners in that AG would think that as being a "difficult" pace.

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/qualify/history-qualifying-times

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm not sure how to interpret Surly Bill's statement, does he think the current standard is too easy or is he saying there used to be just a single qualify time? Well, 3:30 was the BQ standard for all runners from 1971 to 1976.

When the standard was set at 3:30 in 1971, that was about the average marathon then, hence it would not have been considered difficult. The year before, 1970, the recommended, though not required, estimated finish time was 4:00, a time that most marathon runners then would have been capable of running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I guess I was wrong.

I never really thought that and think Boston is so popular because qualifying is very achievable if you simply become a consistent runner and enjoy marathon training.

It’s a lot easier than qualifying for NYC or Berlin…

Boston - 18-34 - 3:00.   60-64 - 3:50

NYC - 18-34 - 2:53.   60-64 - 3:34

Berlin - 18-34 - 2:45.   60+ - 3:25

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Chicago

18-35 3:05:00    60-69 4:00:00

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Village people

I don’t think they have changed. The last couple years were to make up for those who missed the race due to Covid restrictions. I thought I had heard that. Sounds like back to normal next year.