Goal of sub 1:40 half. (Read 3802 times)

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while and am now finally ready to declare a 1.40 goal.  I'm just starting to get fit again after a bit of a lay off.  Have got a few races coming up but first target will be Invercargill Half in later November.

I'll be doing a half in September to get a feel for where I am.  Current PR is 1.44.10 although I also ran 1.40.41 on a course which later turned out to be somewhere between 200m and 300m short (grrrr).  So equivalent time of around 1.42.

I'm currently trying to build up my mileage again.  Will be aiming to get to over 80k a week before Invercargill. 

Mandy

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Welcome aboard Mandy! Looks like you've got a good jump on this one. I'm thinking you're going to graduate with flying colours.
        Thank you!  It still feels like a big leap - especially coming back after getting all unfit again.  But I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Prince of Fatness

Not looking for anything too specific, but what did your training look like between the two races?

It was pretty simple.  Weekly mileage was in the low 40's with a mid week long tempo and long runs around 14 - 15 miles.  The key was that I was consistent with it, I think.  I've was logging here at that time if you want a closer look.  10K was Super Bowl Sunday '08 and the half was in April.

Not at it at all. 

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've basically got 5+ weeks left and then a short taper. Endurance is good and I just need a little more speed. I've started doing intervals (1000s) at my 10k race pace. I'm wondering if that's good or if  I should mix things up a bit, add in some R and I paced workbouts between now and then.

I know any sort of speedwork/interval training will help, I'm just having a hard time figuring out what's going to give me my best shot at this come race day.

I want this so bad I'm crazy with it and it's right on the outer edge of attainable.

SMART Approach

Mr Inertia

These next 5 + weeks are important to help you peak. Here is what I suggest on your quality days. It appears you are doing 2 quality days and a long run per week. Do these work outs on your next 9 quality days all within a longer mid week run with warm up miles and cooldown miles around it. This will give you most bang for buck. All other runs per week are slow and comfortable. The shorter harder intervals are all you need for speed to peak and also not erode any aerobic fitness.

Always ease into the first interval even it is a bit slower than intended pace. This will ensure a productive session. If not up for intervals just do a slow tempo run.

• 5 X 1K at 10K pace (critical velocity pace) with 1:30 recovery then 4 X 200M hard with full recovery between
              • 5 miles @ slow tempo pace or around 50-60 sec slower than your current 5K race pace 4 X 200 hard
              • 6 X 1K at 10K pace with 1:30 recovery 4 X 200 hard
              • 4-5 X 1 mile at goal half marathon pace/effort with 2 min recovery between 5 X 200 hard
              • 6 X 1K at 10K pace with 1:15 recovery 5 X 200 hard
              • 6 miles at slow tempo pace 5 X 200 hard
              • 5 X 1 mile at goal half marathon pace 5 X 200 hard
              • 6 X 1K at 10K pace with 1:15 recovery  4 X 300 hard
              • 5 miles at goal half marathon pace  4 X 300 hard this should be done 7-8 days before goal race

Last real long run should be 10-12 days before race

Good luck and stay healthy! You appear to be training smart. Good job!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I want this so bad I'm crazy with it and it's right on the outer edge of attainable.

I'm with you there.

Another great week of training for me.

2 Quality Sessions:

Speed Work:

1 x 3200 (HM pace) 3:00 recovery
                2 x 1600 (10km pace) 2:00 recovery
                2 x 800 (5km pace) 2:00 recovery

this was one heck of a workout but I pulled it out and felt great being able to complete it.

and a Tempo run at 4:30/km for 30 mins. Also got in a 23k long run which went much better than expected.

I feel like I am at the point that when I line up at the starting line I will have it within myself to pull out the sub 100 mins its just a matter of will I be able to push through the pain...we'll see. 3 more quality weeks for me than a lighter week before the race on Sept 6

I have run 2 1/2 marathons in the last 4 years and have been right around 1:46 twice and its been a slow painful  learning process, and now I am not an overall advocate of going long to go faster after several injuries and setbacks time after time, sometimes I think I am just not made to do long distance racing as I weigh close to 200 and am 6"2. I go to the local 5k's or 10k's where the better runners show up and they are lean and mean. In other words, they have the speed to go fast. I continuously get injured trying to run 5 miles per day and compile miles and have since changed my attack to making the 5k my longest race. I do agree that to do a marathon or 1/2 you need a build up program, but if you can't run 5k in 7 minute pace, then your not going to run a 1/2 at 30 seconds slower. My overall goal now is to get my 3k and 5k times as low as possible and occasionally run 4 very easy miles on grass followed by 100 meter sprints where I can work on form driving the arms and legs and mechanics. You will need to get your 5k time around 21 minutes to even have a chance at this and so it should be your focus. I have even thought about dropping the long distance racing and just focusing on the shorter runs. I would be more excited to tell people that I can run a 5:30 mile than to run a 1:40 half marathon, but its different for every person. So far I have my 5k back under 24 minutes heading lower each month and without injuries, but I have taken out neutral cushioned shoes and long distance training. I run hard on the weekends and jump rope lightly in my air conditioned house throughout the week and do a ton of sit ups working on the core.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Everest - is it possible that it wasn't too much volume that caused your problems rather too much volume too soon? Is your log accurate? Consistency is going to be key regardless of what your goals are.  Weight can be an issue as well. Perhaps dropping some weight will help you take less of a pounding (I know it did for me). Also, while I am not an overall proponent of the FIRST method, it can have its place with people who tend to be prone to injury. It's not clear from your post - are you interested in taking a swing at this or are you shelving the idea?

hairshirt knitter

I really have no idea if this goal is doable this year now. You guys are doing a pile more miles than me. Last week was not too bad but the week before was poor. Experiencing a lot of muscle pain in my legs. Managed 22 miles last week but yesterday's 8 miler felt like I had run a marathon the day before, but I jumped in a lake at the end of it and the cold water seems to have improved things this morning!

Re: leg pain, plan to make some changes this week as per leg pain thread. 5 runs all at low heart rate, long run 10 miles, mileage maybe 24 miles.

Good luck with that rubhadubh - I was experiencing some fairly nasty muscle pain as I built miles again after a few months of not running / only running a bit. Luckily it seems to be a lot better now.

5k race tonight. Don't really know what I'l be aiming for - I've done no fast work (nothing faster than "easy") since starting again 6 weeks ago.  I feel reasonably fit though - if still quite a bit overweight.

Mandy, good to see you posting again- I remember the photos of New Zealand from about 18 months ago!

Mteverest, I think some people are more robust than others and manage higher mileage better without injury. I have found recently that trying to maintain the level of speedwork while increasing mileage seems to be tough.

I am doing a 5k on August 22nd. so this will give me a better idea of where I am at, but last year I ran 1:43 for the half when my 5k time was 23:09. I have to admit it was my first 5k, so pacing was not ideal, but because of longer tempo runs and doing several long runs around 17-18 miles I was able to maintain a good pace, closer to my 5k pace than 30 seconds per mile.

Kmark, I had to cut short my long run on Sunday due to lightning, so tempoed the last 8k in 40 mins to get home. Quite a storm last night!

Tchuck, those sound like pretty tough workout!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SMART Approach

Tchuck, those sound like pretty tough workout!

Simon.

Those are  tough weeks but the other runs per week are slow and controlled and these are more lactate threshold type work outs with some low volume fast intervals that don't beat you up. Mr. Inertia could probably handle it as he is up around 50 miles per week plus. I would use 50 miles per week as my cutoff to do two quality work outs per week in addition to a long run. Usually I recommend one quality mid long work out and a long run with quality in it. There should be  a build up. I may have been a tad aggressive with Mr Inertia but it appeared he has been doing quality for a while and is pretty fit and strong to handle.  They are tough work outs but they are not killer. You don't feel fried like you would doing hard and larger volume max v02 speed work. The critical velocity reps are awesome for all distances and enhance lactate threshold and max v02 without tearing you down.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

TChuck

How is the cancer treatement going?

SMART Approach

TChuck

How is the cancer treatement going?

I don't have cancer. It has been a rollercoaster. I have been doing updates under Health and Fitness. I had surgery last Tues and healing fast. I ran 4.55 miles today in sling with no issues. Thanks for asking.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/3ae96a336a9a47e78ccdd82b55b8e64e