2024 Barkleys (Read 118 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Apparently, the conch blew at 4:17 this morning.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

I read that someone thought it had blown at 3:16 but was just a false because car alarm.

oh god terribly cold weather and false alarms in the middle of the night. I am so glad I don’t have to run haha

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

tracysnead

spam
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good summary going on Keith Dunn's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/keithdunn

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ultra running's most secretive and brutal race has gotten underway in Tennessee with a dramatic start that saw two runners disqualified in the opening moments.

The Barkley Marathons, famously dubbed "the race that eats its young," kicked off at 5:17 a.m. on Wednesday in Frozen Head State Park. The 100-mile race consists of 5 laps of a 20-mile circuit and is known for being extremely challenging and highly unusual.

The race, which was devised in 1986 by Gary "Lazarus Lake" Cantrell (who went on to formulate the backyard ultra) and Karl Henn, is largely shrouded in secrecy. Only 35 runners are permitted to enter and they are hand-picked after applying with an essay on why they should be allowed to run and paying a fee of $1.60. It's never publically announced when the race will begin or who is racing, and in the nearly 40 years of the race's history, only 17 runners have finished.

Though we're only about 24 hours into the race at the time of writing, it's certain that at least two runners won't qualify for a finish even if they complete five laps, as Keith Dunn, who provides the Barkley Marathons' only official news feed, announced on X that two had already been disqualified at the start of the race, which is marked by the lighting of a cigarette.

"Two runners threw trash on the ground at the start. We are trying to identify them so they can be disqualified."

Though the event is quirky, littering goes against what rules there are and runs contrary to all trail running etiquette. Frozen Head State Park prides itself on what it calls its "densely forested, unspoiled mountain splendor."

Many followers of Dunn's feed feel certain that anyone elite enough to make the Barkley Marathons must be aware of the principles of Leave No Trace and chalk this up to a mistake, urging others to withold judgement, however some came up with creative ideas to punish the pair.

"Make 'em run the whole race, then tell them," suggested one fan.

Though there's been no update on whether the runners have been identified yet, Dunn has already reported that only about 10 runners have any realistic chance of finishing. .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/why-were-two-ultra-runners-disqualified-from-the-brutal-barkley-marathons-within-the-first-few-seconds-of-the-race/ar-BB1khLvQ

I supposed this is why the backyard ultras started. So many people wanted to do Barkley just to say they did it another invite only event had to be created. I guess since I now know about Barkley it isn't the cool underground thing and has lost it's interest knowing people train much differently for it than 30 years ago.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I supposed this is why the backyard ultras started. So many people wanted to do Barkley just to say they did it another invite only event had to be created. I guess since I now know about Barkley it isn't the cool underground thing and has lost it's interest knowing people train much differently for it than 30 years ago.

I don't think Big Dog's Backyard Ultra is an invitation only race. I believe entry is by qualification at designated races and national championships. with a minimum distance required.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I don't think Big Dog's Backyard Ultra is an invitation only race. I believe entry is by qualification at designated races and national championships. with a minimum distance required.

https://backyardultra.com/2023-world-individual-championship-roster/

They only invite certain people to apply to the team. I'm not sure I'd consider this a non-invitational race when you have to win, or tie, at a small list of events to be able to participate. Amazing how many people who are on the "At Large" list were participants in the event last year. Similar to Hardrock for years.

"the top performances of the previous 2 year qualifying period (August 16, 2023 to August 15, 2025)."

So be the best at the sport and you can get in. At least Barkley says "apply and maybe you'll get in." Almost as if Laz decided after making the 3 loop fun run a race to make a new elite event.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

https://backyardultra.com/2023-world-individual-championship-roster/

They only invite certain people to apply to the team. I'm not sure I'd consider this a non-invitational race when you have to win, or tie, at a small list of events to be able to participate. Amazing how many people who are on the "At Large" list were participants in the event last year. Similar to Hardrock for years.

"the top performances of the previous 2 year qualifying period (August 16, 2023 to August 15, 2025)."

So be the best at the sport and you can get in. At least Barkley says "apply and maybe you'll get in." Almost as if Laz decided after making the 3 loop fun run a race to make a new elite event.

Except they don't determine who those individuals are, it's determined by performance. So they aren't selectively inviting only those runners whom they want (that would be an invitational), but offering entry to those who have met the qualifying standards a la the Olympic Trials.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Running Problem

Problem Child

Except they don't determine who those individuals are, it's determined by performance. So they aren't selectively inviting only those runners whom they want (that would be an invitational), but offering entry to those who have met the qualifying standards a la the Olympic Trials.

Yes. To be part of the event catering to 1%'rs you have to be a 1%r yourself. It's absolutely fair because I'd be a waste of space showing up to jog for a few hours and drop out because I'm not physically capable. I wouldn't even stand a chance against many of the top 10 in these events. I can dream of the cinderalla story of "random guy who hates running finishes Barkley as a nobody" and the 10 minute YouTube video no one would make about me overcoming nothing just to run some laps with some guys who like to play in the hills with their friends.

I mean....they don't even get a buckle, or a belt, or a tank top.

VDOT 53.37 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I've been reading that the course may be easier this year, as evidenced by the record number of 7 competitors on the 5th lap.  I think that fails to take into account the weather, which seems to be cooperating with the runners very much, and can make a big difference.

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is one female who made it through loop 5.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/for-the-first-time-ever-7-runners-are-on-final-loop-of-the-barkley-marathons-and-one-is-a-woman-photos-show-just-how-savage-it-is/ar-BB1klLPI

For the first time ever, 7 runners are on final loop of the Barkley Marathons and one is a woman – photos show just how savage it is

The ultra marathon is famously shrouded in secrecy, so most of what we do know comes from following the entertaining feed of Keith Dunn on social media, which serves as the event's only official news source. At around 4 a.m. local time, nearly 48 hours into the race, Dunn announced that France's Sebastien Raichon had entered the fifth loop with just three minutes to spare, setting a new record for the event. He is joined by Damien Hall, John Kelly, Greig Hamilton, Jared Campbell, Ihor Verys and Jasmine Paris. If Paris completes her final lap, she will be the first female runner in history to complete the course. Until now, the best women's achievement remains that of Sue Johnston, who managed 66 miles all the way back in 2001.

VDOT 53.37 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

There is one female who made it through loop 5.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/for-the-first-time-ever-7-runners-are-on-final-loop-of-the-barkley-marathons-and-one-is-a-woman-photos-show-just-how-savage-it-is/ar-BB1klLPI

For the first time ever, 7 runners are on final loop of the Barkley Marathons and one is a woman – photos show just how savage it is

The ultra marathon is famously shrouded in secrecy, so most of what we do know comes from following the entertaining feed of Keith Dunn on social media, which serves as the event's only official news source. At around 4 a.m. local time, nearly 48 hours into the race, Dunn announced that France's Sebastien Raichon had entered the fifth loop with just three minutes to spare, setting a new record for the event. He is joined by Damien Hall, John Kelly, Greig Hamilton, Jared Campbell, Ihor Verys and Jasmine Paris. If Paris completes her final lap, she will be the first female runner in history to complete the course. Until now, the best women's achievement remains that of Sue Johnston, who managed 66 miles all the way back in 2001.

Well, she made it to the start of loop 5.  I haven't seen anything yet saying Jasmin Paris, or any runner, has finished yet.  Could happen any time now, though, with just over 3 hours left in the race.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Well, she made it to the start of loop 5.  I haven't seen anything yet saying Jasmin Paris, or any runner, has finished yet.  Could happen any time now, though, with just over 3 hours left in the race.

She finished with 1:39 to spare as the 5th and last finisher this year.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

She finished with 1:39 to spare as the 5th and last finisher this year.

Did you catch the part about Jared Campbell's gesture to let her run clockwise for the 5th loop?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One of the reasons Laz moves the race from around April Fools Day to mid March is to increase the chances of bad weather.

This year, the weather was remarkably mild.

oh god terribly cold weather