Maine Runnah Group

Peaks Island 5 Miler...back to in-person (Read 5 times)

an amazing likeness

Back to in-person races this Saturday at Peaks Island for the Maine Track Club 5-miler. First race event for me since Mid-Winter 10, 8+ months ago.  Anyone else done an in-person event yet?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

How did the race go, Andy?

an amazing likeness

Hi Teresa...apologies for the long delay -- I'd given up on this group having any activity and didn't notice your post until just now.

How did it go?  Well, in all honesty, it was discouraging. Slowest 5-mile race time in my hobby jogger career, and I'm not sure why. I always do poorly managing energy on this course with its succession of sharp up/downs in the 2.5 -3.5mi section; I just end up sucking it in the last mile. I think it's because I can't run downhill easily and have to use a lot of energy braking and giving up time as others stream past.

Ferry over to the island and back was really overrun with runners and day trippers, it was just crowded; I felt badly for the islanders who get overrun on summer weekends; dealing with parking and getting to the ferry is a challenge.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, sorry to hear that.  Yes, Peaks is a victim of its success.  Kind of like Acadia.  The last couple of times I was up there I was really turned off.  Impossible to park anywhere!  I guess I'll stick to the bus in the future or try to go at non-peak times.

robin from maine

Back to in-person races this Saturday at Peaks Island for the Maine Track Club 5-miler. First race event for me since Mid-Winter 10, 8+ months ago.  Anyone else done an in-person event yet?

I ran the Doc and Mardie Brown 5K in Waterville in August. The Central Maine Striders have a 10 K, also in Waterville, coming up in October. It's a really nice course,  but I'm not sure if I'm up to racing a 10 K this year.  Not Covid, but coming back slowly (literally) from an injury that cost almost four months of running earlier this year.