Masters Running

Sunday Hijinx 4/14/24 (Read 37 times)

SteveP

Tramps - Thank you for getting the show on the road. I'm not a fan of anything with the Bank of America logo.  I'd love to keep any company logo off of race hardware.

Deez - Sorry to hear about the tumble.

JLynne - Nice 6 3/4.  The RW dude's speeds!

Holy Cow, Jay!  What a week with crazy distance on top.

Wildchild gets a sproinky 5 before leaving on a jet plane.

Dave59 - keeps it social at the Parkrun.  Good deal.

Holy Cow KSA!  Your strategy of outlasting the competition sounds sound.

Tetsujin209 - Way to ride.

Tom White gets a soggy 50 minutes!

Get well soon Econo!

Hiya Stumpy!

Mariposai has an open invitation and 6 miles.

The only roller rink within several counties had burnt down years ago and they choose not to rebuild.  Our roller derby team sponsors sporadic roller rink events at the civic center.  DW and I grabbed GD# Norah and GS# Jude and laced up.  The floor is cement and wavy.  There are a couple of rough spots due to repairs.  However, we all had a blast.  I have a 13 wide foot and hey rink only had rentals up to a size 12.  I squeezed in but was glad the rolling wasn't all day.  Jude had never been on wheels before.  DW, Norah and I took turns holding his hands.  Then he was able to borrow a walker of sorts.  Then - look out!

I called it after an hour and a half.  My feet were happy when them tight skates came off.

I'm not going to say he's a natural, but he never gave up and he's a quick learner.

Norah is extremely protective of her cousins.

They worked up an appetite, so we stopped for pizza.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, recap, and great photos, Steve. I still want to be one of your GCs - they always have such a good time with you and your DW.

Congrats on a fun and successful swim meet, with a new PR, BTY, and also on getting your taxes started and finished.

Deeze, I'll be at the Boston start in Hopkinton again tomorrow, working as a corral entrance monitor, which is an insane job - making sure that each of the thousand people per wave trying to enter your corral in about 10-15 minutes or so are in the right wave and the right corral, and redirecting them if they are not, even though they may not speak English. I've got 16 Boston volunteer jackets in my closet, so this is my 17th year of this insanity, and I look forward to it every year.

After my workout yesterday, I spent a few hours picking up branches/twigs that had littered the yard in recent wind storms. So now we have a good start on kindling for next winter's fire season.

I was exhausted by the time I got to bed last night, and I even slept in a bit this morning. I was out by about 5:15, and got in 5.3 sluggish RW miles in breezy 41° temps. DW and I had our usual Sunday jazz breakfast, and now I'm on to a full day of yard and household chores.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay - have fun tomorrow!! My first Boston was in 2006 and I have volunteered every year since then so ya I have a ridiculous amount of jackets as well. I have actually given some away and plan to donate more when we sell our house next year.

My elbow looks a lot less swollen than it did yesterday and I still have full range of motion so just needs time to heal. I do feel a few more ouchy spots today.

Peloton 45 min PZ endurance ride, post-ride stretch and core altho no side planks on that right elbow!!

Heading out a little later for our Emily's 5th birthday party!!

Have a great Sunday!!

denise

Thanks, Steve.  Wonderful day and great pictures.  Deez- glad the elbow is doing better.  I bet it hurts!    Jay- busy as alwasy.

Congrats on an excellent meet, BTY.  It's great that you can still improve your times!  Impressive.

5 miles for me on VERY tired post-race legs.  It was about 65 and sunny. Beautiful, but I need to get used to it again.  Looks like Garmin Connect might be having some issues this morning.  My run made it to Connect, but not to RA or Strava.  EDIT_  Garmin Connect back to life

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Love those Steve pics..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Steve--I did not have "roller skating pics" on my bingo card of daily thread starters. Nice!

deez and Jay--Have fun at Boston tomorrow. Hope the elbow improves quickly, deez.

Nice racing--KSA.

Dave--Caps fans' Spring: "Trust me. This time you're really in the playoffs."

Gorgeous blue sky and sunshine but the forecast was for a 25 degree swing between the start (mid-40s) and end (upper 60s) of our ride today, which made picking clothes a bit tricky. It all worked out, though the winds really picked up in the final half, too.  41.5 miles.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

deez - it will be interesting to compare the volunteers' likely later arrival out at mile 22 but probably staying out there a lot longer to the early start and confusion of the start with Jay again.  Have fun.  We get zero news about it out here so thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

BTY - fantastic placements after almost a year hiatus. However, are you doing flip turns in your racing now? I can see how stronger muscles, especially arms that get tired almost right away for me instead of the eggbeater churning and strong pushing fillips of the faster swimmers of would help,   (ed note: that would be everyone)

Steve - nice starting post. Thanks. 

It should have been enough incentive to get me out the door this morning but, as my poet-loving father would have said, "the best laid plans . . .," even though I had a timely awakening at 5:30 am and could have enjoyed a circuit of the cityside park as the nautical dawn moved into civil dawning at 5:50 am and the official sunrise at 6:20, the increasing reflections being angled down in rose pink and yellow from the solar sky to repeated little bright white mini-suns moving along the downtown highrises from building to building held me captive inside with an everlasting stare waiting for it to finally get over until, finally, at 7:00 am, well after a scenic breakfast, out into the most beautiful, lovely day we've seen since probably October, if not August or September for a sunny circuit around the cityside park  

enke - what a day for a hike. Have fun.

hope some of your pictures can post.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

What a lovely post, tetsujin!  Nautical dawn, civil dawn, and sunrise… And Bigfoot’s roller-skating photos told a nice story of a beginning skater finding his skating muscles.

tomwhite, I promise I will!

R&R for me, with Tigger.

dnaff

The roller skating pictures are great!

I started today with a splash of vanilla extract in my coffee and that must’ve been the magic.  I ran a couple miles with my husband and then settled in for a full day of yardwork.  We took a break around noon and went to a Mexican ice cream shop.  I’d been to one years ago when our youngest was in college and this was just as good as I remembered it.  Now I’m all showered up and plan to throw a chicken in the oven, make a couple salads and read on the patio while the chicken roasts.   A good day.

hey Boston volunteers, have a wonderful day tomorrow!!

Jlynne

A good day.

Yes, it definitely was! I got up early and walked two miles and did 20 minutes of core and stretching before we headed out to the golf course. First time out this year, and the weather was perfect. In the low 60's, sunny and not much wind. I played well with a 51 on the front and a 49 on the back. DH said my drive on hole 18 (full disclosure -it was downhill!) was around 175 yards. It just felt so nice to be out playing again, and my mid-season bad habits haven't found me yet.

Thanks for the start and great pictures Steve. I can't believe you skated in skates that were one size too small! Any blisters?

A belated congratulations to Karen on her great race yesterday. You too Dave!

Tramps - how long does it take you and Tribee to bike 41 miles?

Like dnaff, we're having roast chicken for dinner. I just finished baking a bunch of stuff for the Salvation Army spring luncheon tomorrow. I'm going to sit down, have a glass of wine and read "The Berry Pickers." And then watch the Billy Joel concert tonight. That should be a good one!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

Big yard work weekend as we raked the old mulch out of the flower beds that line the front and sides of the house, bagging it up and putting it out for trash pickup.  Then we laid down new yard/weed cloth around the perennials that are coming up, and I took 4 trips to Lowe's to get 35 bags of black mulch (at $2 each) and we spread it out over the beds.  Does that count as cross training?

Anyway, that and some house hold chores and that was most of my weekend.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

4.5 ez miles

My knee hurt like a mf'er when I walked but didn't hurt at all while running. I guess that means I have to run everywhere now. Also, I might start doing something about it, like icing and stretching. I can't really pinpoint it, it's on the medial side to front, below the kneecap. Doesn't hurt if I walk on my heels with toes elevated, but shooting pain if I walk normal, heel to toe. Almost no pain running. Maybe it's my body telling me I need to run more...

I had an interesting spell for a couple days when we got back from Oregon; my memories of actual past events and past dreams were nearly indiscernible. NEARLY. No physical symptoms, and nothing that alarmed me. Kind of interesting, I guess I need to go into research mode and see what that indicates. I haven't kept up with symptoms since DSM-3 (for school), and I think we're at DSM-5 now. Maybe it means I'm dying, or maybe it means I'm transcending into a celestial being. I'm good either way.

I have a big week setting up for the next show, Fun Home. Then we're off to the house on the Big Island for a month.

🤍 the Steve pics!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

deez - it will be interesting to compare the volunteers' likely later arrival out at mile 22 but probably staying out there a lot longer to the early start and confusion of the start with Jay again.  Have fun.  We get zero news about it out here so thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Will keep you posted Tet!! We still need to be at our station at Mile 22 by 9:00am because they have to get the surrounding roads closed down early. We set up all the tables and get the Maurten gels out of the boxes alternating tables of caffeine and no caffeine gels. We do end up with a lot of down time initially, but once the runners start coming by we are straight out busy until about 4:00pm when we slowly start breaking down the tables.

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greeting all!

Just a quick go-by--Anyone doing the Boston tomorrow?  I don't have anyone, work, pleasure, or even neighborhood 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Great races for Dave and KSA this weekend!

Surly, how annoying that you can run but not walk without pain. Knees are the most complicated device on earth!

I TOTALLY would love to do a backpacking trip in the Olympics with anyone/everyone here. Just buy the proper gear and tell me when you are arriving. I can arrange the accommodations (my cabin), backpacking food, and take us on a 7 day wilderness trip full of bears and wildflowers and sweat and not much swearing (there is always some swearing).

It was great weekend for my first solo overnight backpacking trip of the year. I need to write this down: April 13th. Forecast overnight low temperature at 1000 feet was about 40-43 F, so it was a go for me. It can do down to 32 F overnight and be comfortable for me. I picked a really easy hike, only 3 miles, to a backcountry campsite. The drive to the trailhead is just under 1 hour from my house.  As Tet eluded, half of Seattle will be out in force on the "I-90" corridor hikes. This is the only time of year (early spring or fall) I would do an overnight so close to the big city - otherwise I don't want to deal with the mobs. It worked out perfect. Only one other person at the backcountry camp, a guy with his daughter and a dog.  Some day hikers seen on the way in and out, but not so many to be annoying. I scared an older gentlemen, out hiking (without a day pack or water??) as I rounded a bend. He said "you scared me, I thought you might be a bear".  I had heard him coming, and was not scared. Kind of a blind corner thing. I DID see bear prints in the mud. I should have taken photos. This is the second time I just kept walking instead of taking photos. Dang it. These would be nice to share.

These solo hikes do cause me a certain amount of anxiety, but I like the challenge of getting over my fears, I like the solitude and a chance to just appreciate the forest and be in the moment. I like knowing I have my "home" on my back. Everything I need: shelter, food, water, warmth.

Tent in a great site under some big cedars

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."