Masters Running

Tuesday 1/30/24 Runs and Oddments (Read 43 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No recap, just a quick fly-by.

3 miles in 36ish degrees with a bit of wind.

Now that we are 8 days out from our trip to Jamaica, our friend is warning us that there is a travel advisory asking travelers to reconsider their travel there.  Well, crap, NOW you tell us....I'm NOT cancelling our trip.  BUT, we will likely stay on the resort property for the most part, and we don't go out after dark...after being in the sun all day, I can barely stay up until 9pm anyway.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, decent 3 mile run. Stay out of Negril (completely) and Kingston (unless you're with a large group in broad daylight). Beautiful place, but the criminal element abounds outside the resorts and the dope sellers almost own the beach. Ask me how I know...

I paced 4.5 miles at a good pace today, mebbe 2 more runs before departure Friday.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - thanks for the belated start that was okay as being three hours earlier for those of us in PST and just in time for our daily motivation to wake up and face a third morning in a row of the "relentless" rains being predicted by meteorologists who have nothing else to say about the mild and blasee winters of the PNW but which, for the third morning in a row not only didn't materialize but the 7:00 am temp was already 58F, just right for some third-day-in-a-row loops around the nearby hillside park I'm just starting to make up for missing the last two months over there but, with Dr. Torture's weekly torture fest on the afternoon agenda, I needed to save what little strength has survived the last two months and aimed, instead, the other direction for a Safeway run of 1.25 RT miles for two sumo oranges and some bananas.  However, relentless rains or not, it's back to the hillside for me tomorrow, especially to extend my 2-miles loops' distance to the 5K route scheduled for this weekend's Icicle Trail 5K Run that's been arthritis thwarted for the last two years and which I can hardly wait to do on Mr. Knew Knee even though it will be mostly recovery walking but, to me, probably like flying. Yippee.,

our friend is warning us that there is a travel advisory asking travelers to reconsider their travel there.  Well, crap, NOW you tell us....I'm NOT cancelling our trip.  BUT, we will likely stay on the resort property for the most part, and we don't go out after dark...after being in the sun all day, I can barely stay up until 9pm anyway.

Holly - glad you found about the travel alert.

Don't ask me how I know but be sure to check it out on your own too.

In particular, just to be safe and not to have to worry, maybe check their cautions to (1) take out traveler's insurance and (2) never go anywhere alone, not even down the hallway by yourself plus (3) enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)" ASAP to keep up-to-date on the situation and in case of emergencies once you're there.

Travel Alerts are to be taken very, very seriously.  Thanks.

1.  "Sexual assaults occur frequently, including at all-inclusive resorts" and

"local police often do not respond effectively to serious criminal incidents." 

2. ". . . obtain traveler's insurance" . . . (for) "bills in the tens of thousands

of dollars, with air ambulance service to the U.S. in the range

of $30,000 - $50,000."

3.  "Violence and shootings occur (so) regularly in many neighborhoods,

communities, and parishes in Jamaica" that all USG officials and employees

are prohibited from going to many dozens of listed ones.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

5.2 miles from downtown Franklin out the path before a meeting. Told myself if I got the run done I could go to the good bakery!  Got a Nutellla turnover and a vanilla steamed milk that they screwed up by putting coffee in.  I drank part of it. I hate coffee. 32 degrees out but sunny.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Sub and Tet - we are not going to Negril (although last year we took a taxi there to Jack's, with no issues) or Kingston.  We are staying at the Jewel Grande Montego Bay, and have a private shuttle to and from the airport.  A lot of issues happen with drunken tourists out club-hopping or wandering off the main tourist areas, especially after dark.  That is not us.  We are fairly seasoned tourists, and generally keep our wits about us.  Millions of people travel to Jamaica every year without harm.  And Tet - we always get the travel insurance.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

Thanks for the start, Holly, and good 3-miler for you today. Sorry about the travel advisory, but it sounds like you two are seasoned and smart travelers.

I hope you make out OK with Dr. Torture today, Tet. Good work on the hillsides.

And in that train of thought, how long until we have "smart toilets" that alert for possible internal viruses, infections, etc.? "They" already can monitor sewage lines for the presence of CV19, so why not do it at the in-home level?

It'll get pretty scary if/when my toilet is as smart as (or smarter) than my doctor.

I'm sorry that Ken is still having pain and swelling, KSA. Did he and the surgeon expect that at this point, or is it an unwelcome surprise?

I'm glad the Ritchie brace is helping, Centex, and that your running career continues on.

Sorry, Dave, that you spent 5 hours in the ER and apparently left without a diagnosis for the facial numbness that got you there. Is the heater fixed, again?

Interesting discussion yesterday (thanks, Tomwhite) about the Placebo effect. So, is one person's placebo another person's cure, or am I simplifying things just a bit too much?

I hope (for your sake and his) that you have some good news about your Dad today, Tammy.

Always good to see you check in, Mariposai.

Good 8 miles with intervals and Zac lifting, Mike.

It sounds like "inventory carp" says it all, Steve. Good miles on the mill and online and homework PT.

Speaking of carp, I had another carpy might of sleep last night - so it goes. I was up at 4 and headed out for 5.3 decent RW miles in 30° temps with light windblown snow flurries. I did a good deal of stretching when I got back because the knee and legs need that these days.

Medical bills from my surgery and from my ER visit in New Mexico in November are coming in with more frequency. But I figure I won't see the last of them for at least another 6 months. And if you want an itemized bill instead of just something like 'hospital services' you have to call and ask for it because apparently no one sends them as a matter of course. Just keeping track of all this is a full-time job.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

anneb

6 months Jay? Holy crap. smh

3 miles for me this AM, brisk walking. It was also 36 so not cold... but it rained overnight so now everything is wet again. So much for that couple of hours of sun we saw yesterday.

Back to work...that's all I've got for now.

Anne

How's Dad, Tammy?  And how are you??

{{{Dunkin}}}  Poor, Pooch.  He's a good doggie with good doggie parents.

I got in 4 predawn miles on somewhat tired legs after yesterday's ST session.  But it felt good and surprise of all surprises - knock on wood hard - my hammies are feeling good.  I got the go-ahead to sign up for Skyline 50k set for August 4, which will be my last LR before Firetrails.  I refuse to jinx myself by signing up now, but I have it on my "Watch List" on Ultrasignup so I don't miss a price increase or have it sell out from under me (which I don't think will happen).  It covers part of the Firetrails course, so it'll be a good tune-up run.

No, Steve, I'm never bored at work, and lately I've been wondering how much longer I can hang in there.  But since I'm the primary bread winner, I really don't have much choice and that responsibility often weighs very heavy on me.  Jobs that pay what I make with full benefits and a retirement plan are few and far between in this area.  My problem, as always, is secretarial support.   I had long talk with our HR person this morning.  Without going into detail, she indicate they won't let the current secretary slide for long if she doesn't start showing improvement, so at least that's something.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

So, my DS just texted me to let me know that his fiancée's mother just tested positive for Covid.  I suppose I should have expected that might happen with the funeral gathering over the weekend that of course involved lots of hugs (from me and DH as well).  Hopefully neither of us will come down with it.  We are both apparently still Covid virgins as far as we know, although maybe we were in the asymptomatic group.  We have test kits in the cupboard if we need them.  Fingers crossed.

Dave59

The heat is on again at the house. The HVAC guy is afraid there is something causing an intermittent electrical short and he may not be able to find it until it fails completely. He made some adjustments and things have been working almost 24 hours. He did show me what fuse to replace if it goes off again. I just need to get to a store and buy some extras. This way we can keep the heat on until help arrives.

I ran a little 2.6 miles this morning just to do something. I'm still wiped out from the last 2 days. No heat in the house and worry about a possible stroke happening, plus the testing.

After seeing the shape that some of the folks in the ER were in, I came home and tossed all my snacking stuff. I have to stop eating like an unregulated 15 year old boy or I'll be back on the ER someday looking pretty grim. I went to the store this morning and bought fruit and healthier snacks.

Holly- I hope you don't get C.  You and your husband seem pretty resistant!    Dave- I can imagine that you are wiped out!  Good work on the snacks.... I'm sort of bad about that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

That Jamaica stuff is just scary.  My neighbors left yesterday for a quick 4 days in Montego Bay.  I’ll probably worry until they get home.

Covid is not allowed Holly, keep your virginity!

My virtual bike took me around Tybee  island GA today, followed by a small section of the Chicago lakefront.  And then the next segment was part of the bike route for Ironman Chattanooga from a couple years back.  The Chattanooga part was boring.  I guess I should’ve expected no scenery on an Ironman course.  I won’t be doing that one again.

Another day, another 3 mile walk. 54F, no rain, overcast.

Yes, the placebo effect. That's why Phase 3 clinical studies typically have to be placebo-controlled and double-blind. Pain studies often have high placebo effects (pain is subjective, depending on your mood and expectation of improvement), so whoever said it was correct, you need a 60% improvement on the drug compared to a 30% improvement on placebo in some cases, depending on the sample size, to prove your drug is more effective than placebo. If you enroll enough subjects, the statistics should be able to show a significant difference with a smaller 'treatment difference' of maybe only 10%.

We did a Parkinson's disease study once that included a patient questionnaire. I found it really amazing that some of the subjects were saying "I felt an improvement right away, less rigid, can't wait for this drug to be available", yet they were in the placebo arm.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BTY

Hi all.

Rest day today.   Maybe tomorrow too.  I even slept from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM with only one interruption at about 2:30, and was able to get back to sleep after just a little tossing and turning.  Best night's sleep and best I've felt overall for some time.   Made it through a whole day of work without starting to nod off around 4:00, and now we are having our DS2 and his wife over for dinner so we can hear about their honeymoon cruise. They were married in December of 2022 but wanted to delay the honeymoon so they could save up some money and do it right.  Smart kids.  DW is making chicken fajita salad with buffalo style cauliflower, with baked apples for dessert.   We've been trying very hard to be intentional about getting family and friends over for dinner this winter, because it isn't as much work as we sometimes make it out to be, and we always say, "we should do this more often" (DW and I, I mean) at the end of the night.   DS1 & his GF came over Sunday, DD and the baby joined us last night, and now these two.  Fun!

moebo

Another day, another 3 mile walk. 54F, no rain, overcast.

Yes, the placebo effect. That's why Phase 3 clinical studies typically have to be placebo-controlled and double-blind. Pain studies often have high placebo effects (pain is subjective, depending on your mood and expectation of improvement), so whoever said it was correct, you need a 60% improvement on the drug compared to a 30% improvement on placebo in some cases, depending on the sample size, to prove your drug is more effective than placebo. If you enroll enough subjects, the statistics should be able to show a significant difference with a smaller 'treatment difference' of maybe only 10%.

We did a Parkinson's disease study once that included a patient questionnaire. I found it really amazing that some of the subjects were saying "I felt an improvement right away, less rigid, can't wait for this drug to be available", yet they were in the placebo arm.

This reminds me of a story my SO once told me about something he used to do when his daughter was small. Apparently she often complained that her legs hurt at night (though he never saw any actual injury). His solution was to take out an umarked lotion bottle and make a big production about how rare and special this "medicine" was, and how lucky she was that he was able to get some. "It's called Placebo," he used to say, and it is very very strong, so I'll only use a little bit." Worked like a charm. In fact, she used to sometimes say, "Dad, my legs are starting to hurt. Quick, get me the Placebo!"

I finally got outside for me run today! After a week on the TM, it felt like a whole new exercise.

5.3 miles in all.