Masters Running

Sundaily, 2.25.24 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I'm glad you had a good time on your 5.3 miles yesterday, Tramps, even if the boy scouts didn't appear to be enjoying their hike.

I hope yesterday's yoga helped you feel better, dnaff.

Good 11.2 miles with a run buddy, KSA.

Welcome, I suppose, to the Covid crew, Holly. Regarding work, I recommend that you let the office know that you've got Covid and how you are feeling so they can advise you to go in or not. Just because the boss's wife and daughter did the selfish thing and went to work sick without letting anyone know doesn't mean that you should follow their lead. And yes, the sick days rule is pretty lame.

Jay - Does the heel to toe drop affect racewalking technique? Does a 0-drop make it easier to keep contact with the road that is needed? 

Dave, racewalkers need to have their leg straight )no bent knee) when that foot hits the ground. The easiest way to help make that happen is by heel-striking, which is tough to do in a shoe with a high heel. 0 drop makes it easier to then roll forward on the foot to get a good toe-off at the end of the stride. Nice 5 miles yesterday in the new Glycerins.

Good job of hoofing, Tet. It is satisfying, isn't it?

Nice walk with friends + errands, Marj. Thanks for letting us know the Twocats did well. Where are the results?

Have a great trip, and an even better marathon, Mariposai!

Sorry about the glute strain, lamerunner, but good for you for finding ways around it to get some workouts done.

Sorry about the bum knee, Surly Bill. Are you going to get it checked out so you can know what you are dealing with?

You're not the first person who thought they had posted, but then couldn't fine said post, Deeze. You won't be the last either. Nice job of getting a bit of a workout in and trying to protect DH from your Covid.

Good gardening cross-training, Econo. Congrats for signing up for the Seattle Half with a nice BOGO.

Good 13.3 miles, Tammy. Tough call on which race to do in mid-April - do you have to decide now, or can that wait? Enjoy today's long drive.

Enke, DW and I also have to explain to people that neither of us changed our maiden names when we got married.

It must have been tough losing those elections to your alter-ego, BTY.

My legs were pretty fatigued from yesterday's two walks, even when I was going to bed last night, and I had a restless night's sleep because of it. So I slept in a little late (4:45) this morning, and then decided to go out for an EZ walk. However, in the refreshing 14° temps, it was hard to just be relaxed and take it easy. So I went hard enough to keep generating decent body heat, and it was OK. 4.2 miles, under the bright light of the full moon that was still high in the sky. So far, I'm not inclined to go for a second walk today.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. Brrrr.

Hope it's a mild case, Holly.  Being straight with your boss/co-workers is never a bad policy.  On Hulu?  "The Bear," "Devs,"  "Atlanta," "Horace and Pete's"--all worth a watch, if you haven't seen them elsewhere.

Surly--how'd you get that video of me with my bum knee?

Econo--"Lazybutt Day" I like that.

Too cold to ride first thing this morning so we waited until it warmed up to the mid-30s. I did 22 miles  Still just 40 by the time I finished. Warm-up coming tomorrow, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

I still feel like this is a cold, and honestly not a bad one except for a distinct lack in energy.  Regarding work, I have my own office, next to my attorney Kristie, but on the other side of the building to the owner and his paralegal.  I know that Kristie is in court most of tomorrow, so if I go in there is minimal chance of close contact with co-workers, except possibly the boss's wife and her DD, who have offices close to mine.  But if I go in, keep a mask on, and keep my office door closes, there should be minimal exposure to others.  How long are you infectious with this I don't know, but with a cold I think I would not be so at this point.

I started making up the bed in the spare bedroom last night, but DH said that since I had been kissing him all week he was probably already exposed, so I may as well stay in my own bed.  Well, okay, we shall see....

Re: name issues - my maiden name is Slone, but the popular spelling is Sloan or Sloane, so when I told people my name at appointments etc. they would invariably spell it wrong, even when I was standing there spelling it out - S - L - O - N - E and they would be writing S - L - O - A - N.  On top of that, when I wrote my own name as Slone, most of the time others would cross my "L" to make it a "T" converting it to Stone.  As if I don't know how to spell my own name!  Irritating as all get out.

Jay - 14 degrees is refreshing?  You are impressive, as usual!

Tramps - thanks for the Hulu recommendations.

Nothing for me so far, not sure if I will do anything workout-wise because I don't have much energy.  I am a big wussy...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Sunday Masters!!

Just some lingering sinus congestion for me, but otherwise feeling good.

Jumped on the bike this morning for a 45 min PowerZone ride, 15 min low impact ride, 10 min core and a bunch of stretching.

Watched mass on my iPad while sitting on my exercise ball - probably could have gone in person with a mask but since I’m following the 5 day rule because of work I feel like I should just carry it thru everywhere. I actually am enjoying the down time catching up on reading and a couple of movies -  am glad I have a nice bedroom/bathroom suite in my house 

Holly - that company’s sick time policy does stink! With my work schedule I will actually only be out 24 hours of work and have more than enough sick time to cover those hours. I wish it was the same for you even if it was for extra rest days to get your energy back.

Jay - you are a brave soul! I might go out for fresh air walk, but am glad the temp has risen to mid-30’s!!
          Mariposai - I have a friend and her dh who have been in Japan for several days already to adjust to the time change before the marathon. Hope you have a great race and all around experience!!

Oh and on the whole name thing - my mother is the biggest culprit!! My oldest son who is 37 is Steven - she always spells it Stephen no matter how many times we have corrected her!! I’ve given up!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

enke - no BOGO but me too.

Yay Econo!  Maybe I could walk that damn thing.

Econo - when/where reunion carbo?

twocats - both full?

Have a great trip, and an even better marathon, Mariposai!

mariposai - me too. Have a great marathon, and even better trip but, with the Tokyo Marathon probably, if not easily, being the world's funnest 26.2 miler, . . . whoops, 42.195K'er plus Japan being kind of fun too in and of itself, that is, if you like seafood, onsen hot springs, Shinkansen Bullet Train pass, chotto Nihongo (or David?), some embassies I remember, Imperial Palace circuit, skytree and sky rise views of Mt. Fuji, Mt. Fuji goko, etc., they'll both probably be hard to beat. What's on your itinerary/agenda?

Holly - sorry your "I'm too busy" to bake/get a pie got so complicated.

ps - at least if what our parents told us (and us to our kids) is true, I can't imagine DH not getting what you have too. Hope he's still as understanding then.

Though the Seattle sky's still clouded up for the last weekend of the Chinese Lunar New Year, temps in the upper forties going into the 50's again today that don't seem to know what "winter" is were just right as I headed to the Trader Joe (that doesn't open until 9:00 am on Sunday) intersection to let the green go of the traffic signal determine if I keep going across the street or turn down the hill if red to one-or-the other of the two nearby Safeways (0.4 mi) that both open at 5:00 am to make amends for getting the wrong Apple juice the other day so across the street it was, thereby postponing any hill work until the stairs back up to the apartment.  Didn't matter, though, for, to avoid an undistinguished straight out-and-back on my MapMyWalk navigator app, I went here-and-there along the way as I used to do in Tokyo, even discovering a Japanese restaurant I hadn't noticed before but, that, with it's $7.00 ramen, $12 tonkatsu and other menu items about half the price the only other two we've been to since moving here in July, is going to warrant checking out tonight as the first of our planned restaurant tours of the dozen or so Japanese bistros we've come across in our still limited area perambulations. With the one before these being in February 2020 when the pandemic closures started, nope, we don't go out much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Jay.   Great recap and good workout this morning.  BRRR.  I think it's sort of a crapshoot whether the other spouse gets COVID.  Ken did not get it the last time (June) that I had it, but he did the first time.  I know a lot of couples where only one spouse got it, and others where both did.

We didn't like The Bear.  I know we are in the minority.

4 midday miles for me today.  55 and breezy.  Got it done.  I wore my new free Brooks shoes with the 3D printed midsole.  I like them.  Toebox is a little narrower than I prefer, but the underfoot feel is nice.  They might never go to market with these, so I don't want to get too attached.  They are called Exhilarate-BL.

We are going to see Asleep at the Wheel tonight- a blast from the past.

The shoes- and Robert Earl.

May be an image of Great Pyrenees and shoes

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Put me down for a mile and 1/2 walk/run in temps closing in on 60!  Is this really February?  I have also done 2 dog walks and baked some oatmeal cookies.  Cross training, right?

Names: I’m Dawn,  but the entire time my grandfather was alive he was sure it was Don.  And he was mad at my mom for giving me a boy’s name the whole time!

moebo

And put me down for 5.1 miles walking, but only 35 degress so much more wintery than Dawn.

My first name (Maureen) is not familiar to a lot of French people, so I had some very unique pronunciations during the years I lived there. The best one was definitely from the 3-year-old daughter of some friends who one day decided my name was Maurice. It never bothered me because she was so freakin' cute Smile

Twocat, congrats on another successful race!

Yesterday DW ran the 1/2 and I the full Wilmington NC marathon. Neither of us broke any speed records. I just barely came in under 4 hours. I would really like to hit 3:45 or faster in a marathon again, just so I can tell myself I can still BQ. Oh well, maybe next time. Regarding the weather, it was about perfect. Mostly clear skies. In the mid-40s at the start and mid-50s by the end. The course is rather deceptive. The race website says it is a fast, flat course and prominently notes the maximum elevation is just 40' or 56' depending on where you look. But that hides the fact that it goes up and down and up and down, those 40 or 56 feet over and over and over again! In total the elevation gain is over 600'. The last two miles feature two of those ups and downs and I can tell you by then my legs were done with the ups! With about 2 miles to go, the 4 hour pacers caught me and I had just enough gas to get back in front of them.

As to the town of Wilmington, the food is really good! There are several places that have been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. We tried three, and all were terrific.

Today we flew home where I am typing this. Fortunately, nothing eventful to report. Flight was on time. Well maybe that is an event these days!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner2

Holly and other sick ones,  hope you feel better soon!  Rest!

On names, I decided not to change my surname when I got married.. I am quite sure my mother knows this, but she does not like it.  So she uses my husband's last name when she mails things to me. It bugs me.  But I don't think I am going to change it.

70 minutes on Peloton, a 60 minute climb that I worked hard, then a 10 minute cool down.. And about a 3.5 mile walk in  a local trail system this afternoon.  I went a slightly different route than usual and found a lovely view of Mt. Washington.  It is a combined XC ski/walking trail system, and they ask the walkers to stay off the ski trails.  The walking trails are groomed for the most part, but icy. I did my best to stay on them, wore microspikes over old running shoes.

Cheers!

Congratulations Twocat and Mrs. Twocat.  That's a good result.

I did not change my name when I married.  We hyphenated the kids names, which when Kira was born was a little unusual and the hospital was confused, but 2 years later for Kiley it seemed easier.  She changed her name to her first husband's name, and then back after the divorce and did not change it again when she re-married.  It's all good.

lamerunner2

Congratulations Twocat and Mrs. Twocat.  That's a good result.

I did not change my name when I married.  We hyphenated the kids names, which when Kira was born was a little unusual and the hospital was confused, but 2 years later for Kiley it seemed easier.  She changed her name to her first husband's name, and then back after the divorce and did not change it again when she re-married.  It's all good.

Interesting.  Hyphenating was the one thing DH asked me not to do.  He was ok with me keeping my name or taking his.  I equivocated a little, but at the time, we were both attorneys in private practice and in the same very small area of practice, same court.  I wanted my own identity.  And it just never felt right to change it.   Our kids use his last name.  Our kids also go by their middle names, which is a tradition in DH's family.  I am not sure I would have agreed to that had the kids been born post-9/11, but that is what we did.  Between that and different last names, there has been confusion, but people figure it out.

There was once a very funny scene at Boston Logan coming back from Italy when our DD was just 4.  She still had her infant passport.  The customs guy asked her, "is this your picture?".  DD said no.  "Is your name Elisabeth?".  Also no.  We started to worry... then he asked, "are these your parents?".  "Oh, Yes," she said cheerfully.

I was an attorney and my husband an engineer.  I wasn't about to change my name.  Our names work well hyphenated for the kids and he wanted them to be an "A" and not a "Y".  He never liked being at the end of the alphabet.

evanflein

He never liked being at the end of the alphabet.

Ha, yes, I was a Benson and my DH is Van Flein (which people always butcher on the phone...). DH toyed with the idea of taking my name when we married; he said he was tired of being at the end of the line all the time! I didn't really care one way or the other. My sister has kept her name with both marriages.

When my uncle proposed to my aunt, he lured her in by saying she'd always be first in the phone book. His last name was Aarstad. (his nickname was the Norwegian Snow Goose, with his long skinny neck and white hair at a pretty young age.)

Congratulations Twocat and Mrs. Twocat! Yeah, I'd like to run a 3:45 marathon again, too, but those days are over. Glad you got to enjoy some of the dives in NC! That'd be a fun list to try to compile.

We had Riley for a couple hours this morning, filled him up with pancakes and sausages and then played with the new trucks DH got him. That kid loves monster trucks! Then did some clean up around here and hit the bike for 17.5 miles for a weekly total over 133 miles. I'm at almost 13 miles for walking so far, but it's kind of cold out today so not sure I'll go out. But, it's going to get colder this coming week so maybe I will.

Jumping back in to say Congrats to Twocat and the Mrs!!

2.2 mile walk in mid-30’s and bright sunshine

Just finished watching Becoming Jane

denise