Masters Running

Thursdaily, 2.8.24 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

RE, part of yesterday's discussion: I only pay attention to the holidays that DW has off, as those create an opportunity for us to have a bit of an adventure (or just be lazy slugs). And, since I don't get paid for what I do, I can't earn any PTO, however I can take as much TO as I want, but most would argue that I take too little.

Tet, you asked a few days ago where I am regarding knee pain and PK: I rarely feel any more knee pain, and that which comes along is very minor and fleeting. I've been off all drugs (even ibu) for knee issues for a good 2-3 weeks. I still have a little bump on the knee, and my massage therapist noticed that there is still just a slight bit of swelling there - other than that, it just looks and behaves sort of like an ordinary knee.

I woke up early (3:35ish) this morning, and spent a bit deciding to get up and go or to get some more sleep. The massage therapist told me I'm not taking enough rest days, so I considered that, but then decided that this wouldn't be one of them. So I was out the door at about 3:55 and went 4.3 relatively EZ RW miles.It was 25° and clear, but it felt chillier than that, and my hands never really got less than very cold. Since I also got back earlier than usual, I did about 50 minutes of core work and through stretching.

I have a lot on my list to get crossed off today, so I'm going to get at it.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I know it was a long process, but you managed your recovery well.   What are these "rest days" of which you speak?  Smile

4.1 miles- felt fine from the infusion.  I think it helped that they put fluids in me along with the drug.  I believe I am always a bit dehydrated, even though it seems like I pee all the time!

Off to a church meeting.  Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. Sounds like good progress.

Do we know where Jlynne's been?

Some of you mentioned being Toby Keith fans. I thought this was an interesting (and funny) tribute from--of all people--Stephen Colbert.

After my knee flare-up, I've been doing untimed run/walk "runs" the last few weeks; 1:1 ratio, then 2:1, 3:1, etc.  Today was my first effort at an "all-running" run. I put the Garmin on to make it "official" but only did 3 miles to see how things go before trying to work back up to my usual 5-milers. Not bad but I think stopping at 3 was a good plan.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Hi all, it's been a few days since I've popped in.

I wanted to let you all know my dad passed on Tuesday evening. My mom and I had to make the difficult decision to allow him hospice/comfort care at the hospital. Monday I had a good visit and thought he was turning a corner - he was present, had clarity, had some of his usual dry humor sprinkled in our conversations. In retrospect that was my gift and blessing to have those last laughs and conversation with my dad.

and then he absolutely tanked that evening/Tuesday morning. kidney failure, respiratory failure, bowel blockage, further aortic tearing, septic, zero blood flow to legs, etc.  Surgery would have been difficult with his problems with high mortality rate and my mom knew my dad wouldn't want that kind of intervention. We are thankful he passed within a few hours of removing IV tubes, etc.  We had a private final viewing of him yesterday, took care of the business part of death at the funeral home and since he's being cremated, we are in no hurry to do memorial planning, so that'll be down the road a few months. He was a veteran so his remains will be in a vault at the military cemetery and we'll do a small family ceremony there will military honors. and then I find out he wanted bagpipes at his memorial service. so now we gotta find a bagpipe player!  lol.  Figures that he'd send us on a wild goose chase for someone to plays bagpipes. Not a lot of those in a small town. Thanks Dad 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ETA Tammy  - {{{Tammy}}}, So glad you could all be together for the last good time. Scary

And, since I don't get paid for what I do, . . .

Jay - I guess you didn't mean what I almost thought: "so I can take off whenever i want." Smile

Jay - thanks.  I have a little sesmoidal like bump floating around above the pad for you, and him, you could all be together for theatella but, though nothing like the sumo leg of the first month-and-a-half, still enough swelling to make Mr. Right Knee look considerably bigger than Mr. Left. Though none of the persistent pain along with the serious stabs that would almost buckled me over in pre-op days and being gone makes it all worthwhile, the PK's still help in getting to sleep.  Though the "pain can last one or two weeks in some cases" in the pre-op materials was way off base for me, the "swelling can last several months" was right on. 

Morning stair work plus leg and knee stretching and straighening ala military marching in the predawn darkness so nobody could see me, including checking that the next stops before and after the bus stop signpost that'd been pasted over with a "closed due to construction" notice were 2.1 and 1.3 miles away, respectively.

ps - the massage part of Dr. Torture's biweekly treatments is the only time I can do his occasional "relax" recommendations.

ETA Tramps - the Colbert tribute was rebroadcast last night on one of our local talk shows.

I ain't as good as I once was.

My how the years have flown

. . .

I used to be hell on wheels

Back when I was a younger man

Now my body says "Oh, You can't do this boy"

But my pride says "Oh yes you can," 

. . .

That's just the cold, hard truth

. . . 

But there was a time

Back in my prime . . ..

. . .

I got a few years on me now

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Tammy - I’m sorry to hear of your father’s passing.  Thankfully you had a good Monday with him.

SteveP

Tammy - I'm really sorry to hear about your dad, but so, so happy you had the chance for one last blessed conversation with him.  Loosing a parent is hard no matter what.  Know that I'm hugging you from afar . . . and kinda chuckling that he's sending you on a goose chase for a bagpipe player!  Thanks, Dad! 

Tet - Three years of volunteering at a specific A/S qualifies you for a volunteer ticket from that A/S only.  If you transfer to another A/S, you start all over.  The kicker is finding an A/S that has an opening.  And Karen isn't interested in volunteering at WS anymore.

30 min of core/ST after work yesterday, and 2 days in a row of doing of kind of strenuous hammy work may have been a bit too much.  My right is fairly cranky and didn't appreciate this a.m.'s run.  Thankfully, I have a massage later this afternoon to address the tightness.  Live and learn.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

((Tammy and mom)) -  Happy you got to spend time with him.  there's always you tube bagpipers!

marj

BTY

Sorry for your unexpected loss, Tammy.  Glad you had that quality time with him though.

===

. . .

But I'm as good, once, as I ever was.

Rest day for me, but I may change my mind and either lift or swim this evening.  It's trivia night but it sounds like my kids all have other plans, except for my one son who is going there with his wife and her girlfriend.   Not sure how comfortable I would be with that arrangement, with DW at her Mom's for the next several days.

I have my first swim meet in almost a year, 6 weeks from Saturday.  My head tells me I should start following a 6-week prep plan, since that's how I trained for years when I ran.  But I'm not exactly sure how to change my current regimen for preparing for a meet that looks like it will include the following

200 yard freestyle

50 yard freestyle

100 yard backstroke

200 yard backstroke

I know I need to continue working on flip turns for the freestyle races, and now I also need to start working on flip turns for the backstroke races as well.  Oh, and improved underwaters would be a big help as well, in both strokes.  In addition, I would love to get some practices in on the starting blocks, but there is a zero-tolerance for that at the YMCA.  I only get to practice starts on race day.  Maybe I can practice diving in from the pool deck, in the "open swimming" lanes, when there is no one in the vicinity of my entry.   Not the same as a start from the blocks but it's something.   When I compete against Masters who were swimmers in college, I think the starts are the biggest difference between them and me. I emerge way before they do and they come up swimming faster than me, but I can usually close the gap considerably as the race proceeds.  So I guess I have my marching orders for now - work on the turns, underwaters, and starts as able.  And even if they don't make me a faster swimmer, they're all great for core work.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Tammy and mom}}}

3 miles for me this morning in 30 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dnaff

Sending lots of hugs Tammy.  I actually know a bagpiper but it may be too long a trip.

Fresh haircut today which usually perks me right up.  I’m feeling like a slug however so maybe a fancy coffee before yoga.

C-R

Sorry to hear this Tammy and glad you had those last moments together.

Regards the bagpipes - contact the local American Legion or VFW. They have leads on pipers to play at the memorial services. Sadly it happens often these days it seems.

Glad the infusion went better Karen. Hydration is important.

No run yet. Will get one this evening with the club. In the meantime back to work for me. Break is over.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

anneb

((Tammy)) sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Take care of yourself.

I had a regular dental cleaning this morning - uneventful (which is good).

It's upper 50's/windy/cloudy - which is very strange for this time of year. No workout yet - but I took Mia for a longer-than-normal lunch walk. I really should do something today, but I'm feeling a bit like a slug myself! That's a good word, dnaff.

Anne

Tammy, I'm sorry to hear about your dad but it's good that you were able to spend a last few minutes with him while he was lucid and knew that you and your mom were there for him. I was likewise glad to have had a nice last interaction with my MIL before her unexpected passing the next day.

<rant>

What's really annoying and happens too often is that I'll be typing -- such as I just was a couple minutes ago -- and I'll accidentally hit some unknown key or key combo that causes things to happen such as clearing what I've been typing, opening a new browser tab (or closing the one I'm in!), etc. Just now I did something that caused the browser window contents to go full-screen and I couldn't figure out how to get it back! I finally was able to get the bottom bar to appear and I closed the browser from there, losing what I'd typed so far. Grrr....

</rant>

I rode just about 20 miles with 650ft elevation in virtual Idaho in the basement this morning. This afternoon it was so nice out that I drove downtown to do a few errands and then extended my stay with a meandering un-clocked walk. I skipped the group outdoor ride this morning in favor of going out tomorrow afternoon when we might hit a record 60F.

And now let's raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing "Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses!"

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

(((Tammy))) condolences and also glad that you were able to spend time with him.

Beautiful sunny mid 40’s day here. 3 miles of walk/run so far today- the second portion on the banks of the Charles. Very productive day so far as well. Many errands done. Even bought a new pair of Hoka Cliftons. Wasn’t even considering new shoes but my old Cliftons are totally worn out and Marj needed new shoes so, I decided to buy a pair also. Tough decision since I’m not doing much running but I might as well feel comfortable when I walk- so I sprung for them😋.