Masters Running

The Best Tuesday Of The Week 4/23/24 (Read 35 times)

SteveP

Tetsujin209 tip toes thru the tulips to get the ball rolling.

Steve - nice lily on your path.

Did you plant them or are they wild like the Washington ones we occasionally spot like botanical beacons off the sides of the trails sometimes around here?

Thank you.  These are not ours.  It pains me to say that I do not know what species that one is.

Steve.  I want to be reincarnated as one of your grandchildren.

Oh that would be fun.

I'm surprised there have not been comments about the date being the same when spelled frontwards or backwards.  What's that called again?  Pandamonium?  Why does pandemonium not involve pandas?

I’m thinking the life of Dunkin is pretty sweet too.  

I would hope.  Since he has no control over his bodily functions, there have been changes that none of us like.  Though we make sure he feels loved.  When I make my lunchmeat for the week, I make sure there is plenty for his treats.  He has a subtle/sweet personality.

What gets my blood pressure up is the number of working homeless.  People who have jobs but cannot afford a roof. The violence in our area homeless camps goes under reported.  My younger brother was attacked through his tent and shot a guy during one of his homeless stints.  He sees shelters and housing assistance as attempts by the government to control the population.  I don't know how common the view is amongst other homeless people.  He stayed with us over a year.  He woke us up in the middle of the night to tell us there was a satellite over the house.

Kudos to Claire!!!!

Thank you for the video, Tramps.  One of the rivers we grew up near always had foam and we loved to play with it.  We don't see as much of that today.

Tramps - The sod and landscape timbers sounds like a good time!

I got three miles on the mill.  GD Norah was over an hour earlier than normal on Monday, so I adjusted my routine and did the home PT after she landed.  That threw me off a bit.  I got to work, and the office was out of coffee.  That threw me off even more.  There was a blood drive after work.  The person who checked me in and did the stats was named Melissa.  I'm not sure of all the details.  Melissa had pronounced breast and an Adams apple.  I like to advocate that people feel comfortable in their own skin, but my blood pressure was 140 over some darn thing when it's usually 128 over some darn thing.  I'd like to see people celebrate who they are versus make such aggressive changes to their bodies.  I've not lived a day in their lives.  The person poking my arm really had to work the needle to get things right.  I did not care for that so much.

Tuesday is likely to be a PT only day.

SteveP

BTY

Good morning, SteveP and all who follow.  Thanks Steve for the start.  Speaking of donating blood, I think I mentioned that I tried to donate about a week or two ago, but was deferred for high blood pressure readings.   They are allowed to take your BP just twice, rather than as many times as it takes to get it to drop below "anything" over 90.  Or maybe it was over 100, can't remember.  But even after two tries I was something over 100.  I had it checked out at the cardiology "urgent care" within a couple of days and it was chalked up to a likely dietary indiscretion - totally possible.  So I've now added somewhat daily bp checks when I get up.   Today it's 142/87, which does seem like it's continuing to track higher than it was the last time I tracked it for a while.  I have an appointment with my cardiologist in a couple of weeks - we'll see if I can get it back down to a more normal reading by not cheating with Frito's every time I go to the deli for a sandwich, which was only once a week but has been creeping up lately...

Strength and swim workout last night, probably a rest day today.  In the gym I did the rear delt exercise on the chest machine (you just face into the machine instead of facing out), pull downs, biceps curls and rows.  That seemed to have a deleterious effect on my swimming, as I imagined it would much more often than it actually does.  But I was also swimming with some borrowed goggles (left mine at home) and saw a couple of seconds added to most of my repeats.  The only ones that weren't were the 50's of freestyle and backstroke.

Have a great day everyone.

Henrun

Tramps-if Toronto wins the series with the Bruins it wouldn’t be a bad thing as far as I’m concerned. I can remember when they won the cup-a l—-l——o——n——g time ago.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

It's busy here for this early in the morning.

Thanks for the start 'n recap, Steve.It's a palindrome when something is the same forward or backward, but I like pandemonium just as well. I'm not the least bit surprised that you make sure Dunkin feels loved, no matter what. Good for you (not surprised again) for adapting to Norah's arrival. Sorry about the lack of coffee - never a good thing. Not having felt any urges to make changes to my body, I can't comment on how strong that pull is, or if making those changes enables a person to calm down and move on. Thank you for donating blood again.

Homelessness is clearly a growing problem and, just like almost everything else, there likely is no "one size fits all" solution. I do think there is some merit to the "housing first" option, but it takes a village to make it work, and not all towns/cities have the drive or capacity to invest in it. Letting people live in public parks, sidewalks, alleys, etc. is not sustainable for a variety of reasons.

BTY, I hope you succeed in finding a non-chemical way to get your BP back to where you want it to be. I'm not at all surprised that your strength workout would have an effect on the swim workout that followed - even more than the borrowed goggles did.

Nice to see you jumping in, Henry.

I woke up this morning at 4:07 out of a dream in which I was listening to a woman tell and demonstrate how she copied and created very intricate designs on the top of cakes. I have no idea where that came from. I got up dressed, did my bathroom stop, and was out the door in about 10 minutes. This morning's workout was 6.35 RW miles with mile fartleks that were tiring, but good. It was 35° and the sky was clear for a change and I was surprised and delighted to see a full moon sauntering down the western sky.

Have a greta Tuesday (tacos, anyone?)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

''I woke up this morning at 4:07 out of a dream in which I was listening to a woman tell and demonstrate how she copied and created very intricate designs on the top of cakes. I have no idea where that came from. ..........''

we should compare what we had to eat last night-

I also

had a bizarre dream

where I had opened a new drugstore in the middle of a labyrinth and nobody could find it

when I went out to see if I could put a sign out front

I got lost in the labyrinth and couldn't find my store

maybe I should quit looking at that damn hypno-spire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQ4BpTfK1Q

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

3 pretty good miles this morning around the neighborhood.

Out of the blue, a video popped up in my YouTube recommendations last night talking about how Houston TX has reduced it's homeless population by 54% over the past years. It was done with a combination of housing, services, and enforcing things like not allowing street camping, no open drug use, and not allowing people to go steal from anyone they want.

Houston's methods are worth a look by other cities.

https://www.governing.com/housing/how-houston-cut-its-homeless-population-by-nearly-two-thirds

This is the video that popped in my recommendations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8md0LSsVsR4

8.1 miles over on the path/neighborhoods.  Beautiful morning- 50 to start and warmed up.  Nice sunshine.  I overdressed, of course.

Thanks for the start, Steve.   We've had tacos a couple of times in the last week and I'm a little taco-d out for now.

Off to walk the big guy.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Thanks for the start, Steve.  And thanks for the reminder that I need to go give platelets.  They salivate over me for my platelet count and I haven't been in a long time.

Dreams are indeed weird.  Most of mine involve me trying to find my car or not being able to stop my careening car as I'm practically shoving the brake through the floorboard.  When I can't find my car, I'm walking around pushing the button my key fob trying to make the alarm or something to go off.

4 predawn miles whilst listening to a Trailrunnernation podcast about a new app called Running Mate that's all about runner safety.  It was really interesting and well worth listening to or sharing the information if you or someone you know worries about running alone, whether a male or female.

That's about it.  Lots to do and not enough time in which to do it.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - I like the Lucas "TipToe."  Thanks.

It came out when I was only 1yo so, I guess, I missed it.

Tetsujin209 tip toes thru the tulips to get the ball rolling.

. . . 

It pains me to say that I do not know what species that one is.

Steve - you mean the Lilus stevensia?

(though Google says, "glacier lily")

ps - nice Earth Day pandomonium.

pps - definitely not only the best Tuesday of the week but also of the day too,. . . . and you are my best friend in northern Michigan.

I can remember when they won the cup-a l—-l——o——n——g time ago.

Henry - another of the advantages of getting older.

Steve - it's too bad the working homeless who are saving money to get back into housing are clumped in with the non-working homeless who are either resigned to or have a life of not having to work either by choice, addiction, etc.  i never thought my many nights in the car or sleeping under a tree, berm around the Imperial Palace moat, rice paddy or other field, bus stop, side of the trail, in a park, under a scenic viewpoint overlook, etc. to save money, inconvenience of overnight accommodations, etc. might have ended me up in jail in some jurisdictions.

Fortunately, since I have a home and am not "homeless," I shouldn't be affected by the extremely interesting oral arguments on the Grants Pass prohibition of "homeless" people sleeping in public spaces when there are shelters and other accommodations available that focused a lot on whether or not "homelessness" was "status" like drug addition that should not be made illegal per se as being "cruel and unusual punishment" or just constituted bad conduct that nobody should be allowed to do wouldn't have applied to me.  Otherwise, the justices seemed to box the hapless counsel for the city into a corner of prohibiting the homeless from sleeping in parks but allowing the same sleeping by sunbathers, backpackers with homes elsewhere, etc.  Though I couldn't see what was going on, the audio lacked even a modicum of the passion that Tammy recounted for the park users preempted by the unsanitary homeless encampments, even causing me to wonder if the otherwise brilliant outside counsel for the city who, having clerked for Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, probably knew the Supreme Court inside and out, had ever even been to the city park at issue, let alone going with someone so deeply affected as Tammy's recount.

Worse yet, their attorney had not only taken the fall for Grants Pass in the case in 2022 before a panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (where, amazingly, she had also clerked!) but she had also represented the City of Boise's same kind of ordinance in the Ninth Circuit for the City of Boise that without Associate Justices Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, the Supremes had declined to hear as she had convinced them to this time.  Maybe that's a good omen and I wish her better luck this time but I doubt it and, otherwise, cities all over the country will need to start providing alternative housings for the homeless before preventing them from camping in public spaces.  At least cities can still prohibit conduct by all people, homeless or not, contrary to public health and safety, . . . until the next case that that enforcement too requires restrooms and other alternatives.  .

At least I myself can't complain, though, as in repeating yesterday's full moon circuit down to cityside park I usually avoid, there wasn't a tent or park bencher in sight at all.

Yesterday's sr. shuttle to the Skagit tulip fields was not only resplendent with tens of thousands of different and multi-colored tulips still blooming in their full glory but also a riverside restaurant lunch of fresh halibut I haven't eaten since catching one on DD's boat in 2016 some 900 miles to the north plus the local visual accompaniment of harbor seals and great blue herons, kayakers, canoes, erc. in the river below and also with a much closer up view of Mt. Baker we are usually seeing out the side window from 80 miles away.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tammy, I was also surprised to see those stories about Grants Pass since that's certainly not how I pictured the idyllic place where you live and run. When we were in Missoula last year, even they were having problems with encampments along their popular riverfront. Strangely this doesn't seem to be a problem in Detroit, but maybe only because there are so many abandoned houses that there are plenty of places to get shelter.

A contractor in our neighborhood forgot to lower the boom on one of his trucks yesterday and drove into some power lines on the way out of the sub. We didn't lose power but did lose our Internet/TV provider for most of the day. Then while I was typing this we lost it again so I'm hot spotting off my phone to finish up! 🙄

Went to the gym this morning and had a decent workout on the elliptical and recumbent bike followed by some strength machines. I've really felt at loose ends lately and am hoping for the weather to break so I can get into a regular routine again. I'm always feeling like I have things I should be doing but then can't think of what exactly they are.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

............low 70s, slight warm breeze

.............60-min at city park................2-lb trailboots, 1-lb hnd wgts..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

work is real slow right now (I'm sure I've just jinxed myself) so will likely leave around 3 ish and get in a run.

Doug: Seattle used to be the emerald city, Portland was like a smaller version of Seattle, and Grants Pass was this beautiful little rural town on the Rogue River. While each still has areas of their beauty, a portion of each has also decaying.

but even with 80% of our parks turning into homeless tent cities, there is a movement in our town by some local citizens that have banded together and are making it "uncomfortable" for many of them to remain in the parks that were designed for kids/families to enjoy. Maybe a little vigilante in some senses, but they are making their presence known and gaining some traction.

I still enjoy living here - I have plenty of spaces to go to for the things I enjoy doing. Fortunately, the trail system I run weekly (Cathedral Hills) is just far enough out of town that other than an occasional person sleeping in their car at the TH, there are no homeless that have taken up residence there.

Tammy

6.2 mile walk around False Creek in Vancouver. It's a gorgeous day. Saw very few tents/houseless. I love this city and it just seems so civilized with great community spaces (especially all along the waterfront areas, so you can bike or walk for miles and miles) and art installations. I'm here for a work-related event. Staying at at 5 star hotel and enjoying every moment of it. Took the train from Seattle which was kind of fun, also with great views. I hear the Canucks are playing at Roger Centre tonight, near my hotel. Hopefully it will be boisterous.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

enke- sounds like a great trip.  I love Vancouver.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

enke - gotta love business trips to places you'd like to go to but otherwise wouldn't go to. Have fun.

After vowing to do it at least once a month but not, with the afternoon temps up to 70F, I finally got over to the nearby hillside park site of the Icicle 5/10K trail run i did with the Running Club North contingent in February as my first post-op foray back to the local hillside park trails I like and which are too steep for homeless to set up encampments in. Compared to the city side park down the street, the hillside park was so immaculately clean that I'd like do it everyday but know i won't so won't.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)